NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-28-2020, 04:00 PM
Patrick

Default Set building question

Hey everyone, about a month ago I decided to start collecting the 1950 Bowman set as a sort of keep myself busy/ get back into the hobby project. This is the first time I have ever tried to complete a set of any kind and was interested to know if you guys had any tips or advice when it comes to collecting this set. Is it better to buy in lots or card by card? Are any of the cards more difficult to find than the rest, that sort of thing. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-2020, 04:50 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

It will definitely save you money in the long run to buy partial sets and then fill in the gaps later. The advice most people on here will give is that you need to decide what condition level you want to keep your set around. This is based on your own ideas. Some go for centered VG-EX cards; some want raw NM or so. Obviously the higher grade, the higher price. But if you start out with a plan, you won't get as frustrated halfway through when half your cards are EX-MT and the other half are Good and the set doesn't look right together.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:17 PM
Patrick

Thanks for the advice about getting partial sets. That had been the game plan while trying to avoid getting too many duplicates. I've gotten about 70 this way so far to add on to the few I had previously collected a few years ago.

I'm pretty much in the camp of buying cards that look good, even if they have the occasional crease or small amount of writing. My best guess would be that i'm shooting for between a PSA 2 and a PSA 5 if I have to pick a range.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:32 PM
Duane Clark

Greetings. I decided to build a 1955 Topps set since I already owned most of the big $$$ cards. Buying various size lots is absolutely the best way to begin building the set. It is always more expensive to build a set card by card but I can build it with the quality of cards I want and With the added bonus of having fun while I am doing it. Enjoy the process.

Best regards,

Duane
Old 05-29-2020, 09:37 PM
Mark Arentsen

Default My 1950 Bowman collecting experience 40 years ago

It was 40 years ago that I embarked on the 1950 Bowman set. I chose it because there wasn't an expensive Mantle or Mays card. They were expensive back then (I don't remember how much though). I started by trading a bunch of Topps stars from the late 50's and early 60's for over half the set in VG-EX to EX-MT shape. From there, I bought card-by-card. I have found, even today, that the first 36 cards are harder to find than the next 36 cards. The price guides lump the first 72 cards together, but I think you'll find it is easier to collect card #37-72. So, when you see cards from the first two series in the condition you like, get them. I passed on three or four Jackie Robinson cards early in my journey and ended up paying more for the card for lesser condition. It was the last card I needed to finish the set, too. It never hurts to get the expensive cards out of the way right away. I learned that lesson. All the best in your 1950 Bowman collecting journey!
Old 05-30-2020, 03:25 PM

I'll be working on this set eventually since I have already Ted Williams and Jackie.

I built up my 52 set w lots and individual cards after getting the big guys out of the way. Also went to LCS to get the stars.

In contrast, with the 51 set, I had the Mays and Mantle already, and won an auction a few years later without these two. Had to upgrade a few cards but they were commons for the most part. Some NY players had to get upgraded which are seemingly more expensive since I live in NY.

For this set, I will get lots and hopefully we can go to LCS's again soon.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:16 PM
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingman59 View Post
I have found, even today, that the first 36 cards are harder to find than the next 36 cards. The price guides lump the first 72 cards together, but I think you'll find it is easier to collect card #37-72. So, when you see cards from the first two series in the condition you like, get them. I passed on three or four Jackie Robinson cards early in my journey and ended up paying more for the card for lesser condition. It was the last card I needed to finish the set, too. It never hurts to get the expensive cards out of the way right away. I learned that lesson. All the best in your 1950 Bowman collecting journey!
That's good to know, I'll keep an eye out for those especially now and try an knock them out.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:19 PM
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarcap View Post
I'll be working on this set eventually since I have already Ted Williams and Jackie.

I built up my 52 set w lots and individual cards after getting the big guys out of the way. Also went to LCS to get the stars.

In contrast, with the 51 set, I had the Mays and Mantle already, and won an auction a few years later without these two. Had to upgrade a few cards but they were commons for the most part. Some NY players had to get upgraded which are seemingly more expensive since I live in NY.

For this set, I will get lots and hopefully we can go to LCS's again soon.
I'm hoping to get to some shows once we are all allowed to go again to try and get get a large chunk done because I don't have any LCS in a reasonable distance to me.

Last edited by Natswin2019; 05-30-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:10 PM
Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It will definitely save you money in the long run to buy partial sets and then fill in the gaps later. The advice most people on here will give is that you need to decide what condition level you want to keep your set around. This is based on your own ideas. Some go for centered VG-EX cards; some want raw NM or so. Obviously the higher grade, the higher price. But if you start out with a plan, you won't get as frustrated halfway through when half your cards are EX-MT and the other half are Good and the set doesn't look right together.

Starting out with a plan is so true. I find myself buying NM-NMMT commons then settling for EXMT stars because I am too cheap to buy nicer ones.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:50 PM
Patrick N.

Default Contrarian

I'm going to offer a contrarian point if view, take it for what it's worth.... Building complete vintage sets is a money losing proposition. As a collector if you have fun with it and LOVE the set and must have every card, go for it and enjoy the ride.... However, you have been forewarned, if your tastes change or you are iffy about losing $, it's worth considering just picking up the main rookies, a few single local stars , or whatever group of cards from that set that really pull at you, perhaps consider a modified set l build. The whole is not worth the sum of the parts....JMO

Last edited by mintacular; 05-31-2020 at 01:51 PM.