NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Brad

Default O/T: Art restoration project gone horribly awry

I’ve been traveling for a bit and my wife tells me this story is a few days old, but I just heard it. Holy smokes. She said, “I hate to even send the link of this story to you – it’ll send you over the edge.”

http://www.pri.org/stories/arts-ente...ain-11245.html

The best part of this particular version of the story is how the writer refers to the 80-year-old woman as the "culprit."

Sad that it's ruined, but I guess sometimes you just have to shrug and laugh it off.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Ben H*ds@n

When I first saw this article, I couldn't believe it. More proof that there are professional restorers out there for a reason.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 AM
pariah1107

Horrible!!

I have a similar story. In the 1880's the small, fur seal trade town of Belkofski, Alaska built a magnificent Russian Orthodox church. The townspeople, mostly Aleuts, poured a lot of money into the beautiful iconastasis that separated the holy of the holies from the rest of the church. Well long story-short, the fur seal trade died (the morality of which can be debated but for the purpose of this story I will ignore), and with it the town of Belkofski in the mid-1900's.

The last few residents of Belkofski (the Bear family) left in 1995 and moved to the nearby cannery town of King Cove around the peninsula, but the church remained (Church of the Holy Ascension). A few years later the elders decided to "rescue" the beautiful paintings and relics from the old church.

Though it had been declared a National Historical Landmark, they could not find assistance to save and preserve their history. So, they set out in fishing boats and made the trip back to Belkofski with chainsaws in hand. They gutted the old church, stripping it of its support and loaded their vessels with all they could carry. The church of the Holy Ascension collapsed a couple years later in a wind storm. The paintings and relics were taken to King Cove and a new church was built (St. Hermans').

Many of the icons were lost or destroyed in the hasty removal, but to give you an idea of how gorgeous the Belkofski once was here is a photo of what remains at St. Hermans':

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collecti...097c/resource/

The original Belkoski church:

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/singleit...id/2675/rec/10

Last edited by pariah1107; 08-26-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

It almost looks as if she kept the original and tried painting a replacement and passing it off as a bad restoration job of the original.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:33 PM

You know it's a bad restoration when people in the church first thought it was vandalized.

Last edited by drc; 08-26-2012 at 11:35 PM.