NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Sean

I know everyone is sick of hearing about coach's corner but I couldnt resist this:
http://www.myccsa.com/Lot.aspx?LotID=133090
someone magically knew that Lou Gehrig, who had played about 20 games prior to Frank Chance dying, was gonna be a legend. At least TRY for Gods sake, coach's corner!

Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: CS Bolay

Hahaha, wide range of time periods there, Clarkson through Gehrig. Apparently Lee's great-great-grandfather began assembling HOF balls via Skynet time displacement device back in the 1890s.

EDIT-- personally, I never get sick of hearing about Coach myself; their monthly trash auctions are oddly fascinating...

Old 01-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Not to mention the John Clarkson, who died when Gehrig was FIVE YEARS OLD!

Cut it out, Coach's Corner! I didn't realize that the phrase "all-time low" could ever be applied to you guys again, but, alas, you've "bested" yourselves.

John the Baptist's shower curtains?

Old 01-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

wow! I didnt even see John Clarkson on there. Good lord! Why didnt they add Abe Lincoln to it while they were at it? They got a Lincoln signed photo on there as well

Old 01-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: CS Bolay

If it were real (I know it's hard, but let's pretend for a moment), it'd be the greatest multi-signed ball in the history of sports. They buried it at Lot #263, beneath the likes of Chase Utley and Tommie Agee.

Notice also how the ink on the oldtimers is as dark as Babe and Gehrig, and how Clarkson conveniently left room for Evers and Matty to sign a decade later...sheesh!

Paging Mr. O'Connell, there's an important hobby issue that is begging for an expose. Oops, sorry, you're too busy blogging about Amos Otis' autograph collection, nevermind...

Old 01-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: davidcycleback

Gehrig had good writing considering he wasn't on solid food yet.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: DJ

My favorite was being sent the following from an SCD Newsletter reader a while back:

"In a hobby that relies on the authenticity of items for the rest of the market to function, game-used jerseys are among the most important. So what happens when player-endorsed game jerseys turn out to be anything but authentic? And what happens when it's Brett Favre? SCD investigates."

SCD Investigates?

Would SCD have written this piece if their biggest advertiser sold jerseys?

Can we make a few suggestions about what they can Investigate?

LET's Investigate why people still support this magazine?

Great link with Chris Morales content below on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N7ljMEOd3A

It's very funny!

DJ

Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: FGN

I'snt it possible that the guy had gehrig sign the ball a couple of decades later.

HAHA. Just kidding.

This is exactly the kind of crap that convinced me not to renew my SCD subscription. I really don't miss the rag but it sure is tough to live without the free Hartland statues.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: davidcycleback

Economy's rough. Two years ago it might have realized $500.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: D. Bergin

Wow, this is an entertaining thread LOL!!! I hate to bash but this is incredible.

I haven't gotten SCD in years so I didn't realize how bad these guys have gotten.

Scanning through the auction it's incredible an auction company that spends 1000's per week on advertising can't afford a decent digital camera or scanner.

A couple examples I picked out in my field.

A signed Marvin Hagler & Sugar Ray Leonard glove. They can't even get the modern semi-common stuff correct. Hagler actually has a beautiful and perfectly legible signature but apparently on this glove he forgot how to spell "Marvelous" correctly.

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot.aspx?LotID=136707

Rocky Marciano signed photo:

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot.aspx?LotID=136807

Fake Marciano sigs are everywhere but they manage to provide a photo in which the signature is completely blurred out. You'd think they were leaving money on the table by not providing a clear scan of a signed photo that might potentially be worth $600-800.

Also gotta love the lots like the Sugar Ray Robinson autographs they don't even provide photos or scans for. That sure gives me tons of confidence.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Bob

Who says we are sick of hearing about Coach's Corner?

It all makes sense to me. The original owner must have started with Clarkson as he passed away in 1909. When John was about to sign it, the owner said: "Halt! Don't sign it there...sign it right here because I want to add six other future Hall Of Famers on there around you over a period of forty years!".

John did as he was told.

We could spend all day with Coach's, but what really is the point? Some guy will win this item (how much do you think it's worth $100,000?) for $3,000 and life will continue and SCD will live another week and CCSA will operate for another month.

Cheers,
Bob

Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

they had a t206 Plank on twice in the last 3 months with no picture, go figure

Old 01-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Rob D.

Grading companies that authenticate fake cards, dealers who sell fake autographs and auction houses that shill bidders rightfully take a lot of heat for hurting our hobby. In my opinion, you can put SCD right up there with them on the list of detriments.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Hopefully the FBI's net widens to include Coach's Corner.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Jim VB

Far be it from me to defend the Coaches Corner thieves, but SCD is between a rock and a hard place here.

Rob, you know better than most, what's going on in the newspaper industry these days. Price of ink is up, cost of paper is through the roof. Circulation is down. Advertising pages are down. Classified ads are down too, and they are, traditionally, the most profitable pages. Most major papers are at the door of bankruptcy. Many papers are talking merger with neighboring cities as a way to stay alive.

And then there are weeklies like SCD. All the same problems, plus some. Basically, the world has passed them by. A weekly hobby paper used to be the key way to get up to the minute news. Along comes the internet and add in their slow delivery problems and everything written in SCD is 3 weeks old before it gets to your door.

They are in a fight for their survival and the odds of them making it are slim and none (And slim just left town.)

Meanwhile, they have a disreputable advertiser who buys at least 40-50 pages a month. He is keeping them alive. As much as we all want them to kick him out, they'd be signing their own death warrant.

But their problem is that running his ads makes them an accessory to the crimes.

The honorable solution would be to fall on their sword, kick out Coaches Corner, and fold up 60 days later. Would any business do that?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Dan Bretta

What you say is true Jim. They should probably just stop with the "looking out for you" attitude in their commentary and articles though. Who do they think they're fooling?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Jim VB

I'm sure it's hard to find that you're totally irrelevant all of a sudden.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

They should really consider revamping their periodical. Dump the SCD and bring back BCM on a monthly basis instead. So many of those old BCM writers' wonderfully witty articles relied on humor and history-based topics. Those twenty year-old stories have aged very well over the ensuing decades. Seeing as that is the case, perhaps this could be a viable alternative to providing "up-to-the-minute" accounts of industry goings-on (three weeks after said news had any relevance). Heaven knows we all could use a few more hobby-related laughs (other than reading the Coach's Corner ads, of course).

Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: DJ

In some regards, didn't SCD put themselves in this place in the first place? Coach's has been a major part of SCD back when there was a hefty circulation and back when they were 400 pages long. 20+ years ago.

1) How many people don't advertise because of them?
2) How many subscribers say 'no more' because of them?

You are trying to tell me that there are no less than THREE periodicals on building a log cabin, and not one to represent an entire collectible industry? I know of TWO periodicals dedicated to the Civil War!

I don't know one person that has ever built a log cabin, nor do I know of anyone that bought one of the speciality periodicals designed to give them that knowledge or looked forward to a musket centerfold.

DJ

Old 01-31-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Bob

Drum roll....the CCSA auction concluded last night and the winner took home this gem for.....

$1208!

Congratulations!

After all, Softball was invented in 1887 and Clarkson passed away in 1909...

I guess I could be wrong here on this gem and I simply missed the boat. Maybe next month...maybe next month!

The prices were incredible as usual. Nice job CCSA! Can't wait for you to throw up your next fantastic auction this time next week!

Robert

Old 01-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Richard Simon

Just taking my stroll through the auction results of CC,, I thought this non sports item took the prize:

The Beatles band signed/framed & "STAT" certified Sgt. Pepper centerfold!

This awesome 13x25 framed piece is an unfolded Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band LP, revealing the Fab Four against a yellow background, which comes hand signed by ALL FOUR Beatles! The signatures are very legible 8.5's and above, and this piece comes with a photo COA from Ted and Jeff at STAT Authentic for your security! An incredible display piece with a value in the five figure range!

Lot Number : 21

Current Bid : $525

History : 18 bids

==

just think some poor schmuck paid $525 for this junk valued in the five figure range,,, is he (she) really stupid enough to think they got a legit piece.
Oops,,, just found a Lincoln signed photograph that went for $800, tough choice, between the Beatles and Lincoln for the prize of the month.

==

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Unknown author

--

We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.

No retreat baby, no surrender.

The Boss

Old 01-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: sean

Is stat STILL trying to go after Frank Caizzio? That was the most rediculous thing I ever heard!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Default ok this is funny

Posted By: Richard Simon

You have your facts mixed up. STAT is not going after Frank Caizzo, some gallery owner is suing Frank.
=

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss