NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 AM

Default Al Simmons Bat Question

Greetings All--

I am a long time reader of the forums who just signed up for an account. In any event, I found an auction on eBay for a game used Al Simmons bat. Being a collector of vintage A's items (but not yet a game used collector) this item caught my eye. However, I will admit that I am a complete novice when it comes to back collecting and that scares me. Here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1921-31-Al-Simmo...item563d08d6f1

Here is the bat where it previously sold:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/auction/lot.php?id=729

Now, what I have learned from what research that I can find is that a 40k bat is not a "pro model" bat and there are only a few scant H&B records of pros ordering such bats. I can't find any information that Simmons ever ordered a 40k bat nor could I find any pictures of him using such a bat (believe me, I tried).

Given the foregoing, I am beginning to seriously doubt this purchase would be worth. Even if graded and passed, and from what I can tell, it would appear that it would not receive anything higher than a grade of 4 or 5 (again, I am a novice at this and this is just my conclusion from what I have read).

I would kindly appreciate any insight and collective wisdom any of you more advanced collectors could shed on this.

Kind regards,

Matt
Old 06-23-2010, 11:58 AM

i can humbly say, I have probably researched more on 40k Kork Grip bats than close to anyone in the world....

here are my conclusions:

I have photo or documented proof on the following Players

1. Babe Ruth
2. Ty Cobb ...(likely creator back in 1913/14)
3. Honus Wagner
4. Travis Jackson
5. Joe Sewell

as well as numerous other pro-players. Mears (Particular Dave Grob) has done extensive research as well ( in addition to being the discover-er of the Cobb Data)

Now, There are 2 ways to look at 40-k.

1. Is there any likelihood he used this pro-model Bat. I say Yes
2. How does the market respond.

Me personally, i might do alot of photo or document research prior or after purchase to see if i can put this style bat in his hands. The length and the weight match up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefer View Post
Greetings All--

I am a long time reader of the forums who just signed up for an account. In any event, I found an auction on eBay for a game used Al Simmons bat. Being a collector of vintage A's items (but not yet a game used collector) this item caught my eye. However, I will admit that I am a complete novice when it comes to back collecting and that scares me. Here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1921-31-Al-Simmo...item563d08d6f1

Here is the bat where it previously sold:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/auction/lot.php?id=729

Now, what I have learned from what research that I can find is that a 40k bat is not a "pro model" bat and there are only a few scant H&B records of pros ordering such bats. I can't find any information that Simmons ever ordered a 40k bat nor could I find any pictures of him using such a bat (believe me, I tried).

Given the foregoing, I am beginning to seriously doubt this purchase would be worth. Even if graded and passed, and from what I can tell, it would appear that it would not receive anything higher than a grade of 4 or 5 (again, I am a novice at this and this is just my conclusion from what I have read).

I would kindly appreciate any insight and collective wisdom any of you more advanced collectors could shed on this.

Kind regards,

Matt
Old 06-23-2010, 01:58 PM

Thank you. That is very helpful. I think I have about exhausted what research I can do on the Internet, and from what I could review, I could find no picture or other evidence that affirmatively put such a bat in his hands. Because of that, and erring on the side of caution, I am probably going to pass.

If anyone else has further thoughts, please share. Thanks.

Matt
Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Jeff

Default Al Simmons Bat

Absent any definitive photo-match or ordering record proof, the game-used hobby is one big leap of faith and not usually in the buyer's favor. Is there any compelling reason to believe that this is a Simmons gamer? If so, what is it?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Absent any definitive photo-match or ordering record proof, the game-used hobby is one big leap of faith and not usually in the buyer's favor. Is there any compelling reason to believe that this is a Simmons gamer? If so, what is it?
That is exactly what I am struggling with. I cannot find the compelling reason. In particular:

1. No photo evidence I can find of Simmons using such a bat
2. From what research I could do, no records backing up Simmons ever ordered a 40k bat.

All that is out there is that the bat appears to be within specs of length and width (though I would feel more comfortable if it was 38") and that some professionals from the era did order 40k bats (however, not many did.)

I am not finding anything compelling which puts it squarely back into a leap of faith.

Matt
Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefer View Post
That is exactly what I am struggling with. I cannot find the compelling reason. In particular:

1. No photo evidence I can find of Simmons using such a bat
2. From what research I could do, no records backing up Simmons ever ordered a 40k bat.

All that is out there is that the bat appears to be within specs of length and width (though I would feel more comfortable if it was 38") and that some professionals from the era did order 40k bats (however, not many did.)

I am not finding anything compelling which puts it squarely back into a leap of faith.

Matt

I would personally keep at the research.

I had bought a 1914-15 Cobb 40k, years ago. Before really anyone knew much about them. It had all the characteristics..

Length, Weight, Remains of Spiral Handle Tape, Cleat Marks, Pounded Bat...story of origin in Michigan....

Well, i then easily put in 400-800 hours worth of research work, work with others, and got lots of results. Now years later, MEARS has a consignor find one from the same era (even a few months prior to mine ) and it goes for 35k+

So with that said.....you be the judge~