NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 PM

Default Starting a Vintage Collection

I have been a football card collector for a long time...mostly interested in sets and more recently interested in vintage sets. However, a little part of me has always wanted to do a baseball vintage collection. Not sets, but of individual specific cards.

For example, a while back I picked up a couple vintage baseball cards that I had wanted for a long time. I picked up a 1972 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 6 and more recently the 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan RC PSA 5. Long story short, I am starting to feel hooked.

I am interested in adding to this small collection and I want to mainly pick up graded cards. Since I do most of my buying online I feel that it is a little safer. Obviously, I will still make sure that I carefully inspect the cards photo...but graded makes me feel a little better when buying online.

I think I want to focus on major stars with a special emphasis on Mickey Mantle. When I was a kid...I collected the 1996 Topps Mantle's and got very interested in him. I would like to find some of those originals.

Any advice that you guys could give me would be very appreciated. I was referred here from another site because I was told there are many vintage experts here. I would prefer to learn from your past mistakes rather than make my own...lol.

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 AM
Chris

Welcome to the site. It looks like we have very similar collecting interests. I pick up a few cards here and there of my favorite players (my first large purchase was a 68 Topps Ryan which I have subsequently had signed) but focus primarily on Mantle cards.

A couple pieces of advice:
1. Give some serious thought to what direction you would like to take your collection before you start purchasing a lot of cards. I think a lot of us have started way to broad and now have a lot of cards that don't really fit our collecting goals.

2. Once you identify your goals, consider creating a spreadsheet to track your card purchases. I am chasing every Mantle card ever made (except regionals and test issues). Before I created a running checklist, I would accidentally purchase duplicates here and there. The checklist makes it easier to determine what I have and what I need.

3. I started out purchasing almost exclusively from eBay. Sometimes there are better deals to be had though when you purchase through one of the auction houses, particularly if you aren't going after high grade cards. I recently bought a card off of Clean Sweep Auctions at about 66% of the going rate on eBay. There are also good cards to be had on the BST section of Net54. It may seem strange/scary at first to exchange money with complete strangers on there, often without paypals protections, but I have never run into an issue with any of the members I have dealt with. And, I think that my experience is fairly common.

4. Do as much research as you can before making purchases. Track completed sales, watch auctions, etc. There are few traditional auctions on eBay now a days, so it is often hard to ascertain the value of a card as they sit up there for months with really high buy it now prices. For example, for the longest time, I thought that the 59 Home Run Derby Mantle was a $3,000+ card. I got into a discussion with a fellow collector and learned that my price calculation for the card was really off.

5. Use the Net54 resources. I don't find the search feature on the site particularly helpful in many cases, but there is a way to conduct searches on google and limit the results to those coming from this site. If you cannot find answers there, you can often get answers to questions by posting on here. People are really helpful and friendly around here. And, you really cannot find a more knowledgeable group of collectors anywhere.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 04-30-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Hehehe...another Mantle collector here.
Yeah man..pinpoint exactly what you want to collect. Make a list or get a master list from a registry.
I been trying to stick with just the cards itself..i myself have jumped back n forth. I do have some nice football cards too.
I talk a bit with the fellow above me ^^^^^Bestdj777. We share common interest.
Oh.bTW the HR Derby card has 1 day left ...it may fetch under 1K. I guess i was close, in assuming that just a guy has a BIN for 3K, doesnt mean its worth that. Trust me..i bidded on it several time..had it for like 1 minute and outbidded again.
That 53 stalh meyer....jumped the moon last night...probably some shilling there.

That bring to topic....shilling.
If you are buying from Ebay....check the bids and look at the other bidders and see of any strange activing and retractions.
I like Probstein123...but some case it raises a eyebrow.
Just like beforementioned....look at the 'completed listings' and see what previous ones sold for. In the search for mantles...beware of reprints.

If you have any questions..just ask around.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Chris

Chris (above) and some of the others are great to chat with about these things. One of the best things about the hobby is discussing cards with fellow collectors.

One thing I recently learned that I found pretty helpful is the difference between the US eBay website and the Canadian one (eBay.ca). The US website will no longer allow you to view the price a card sold for when a seller accepted a best offer. All the completed listing says is that a best offer was accepted. However, you can replace the .com with .ca in the URL to link to the Canadian sight where it provides actual pricing information. Please note though that the price accepted is not always the actual value of the card (I know I have over paid before for a card I really wanted).
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 AM

That is interesting about the .ca thing on eBay. I have never tried that. I will use that from not on...very handy for trying to ascertain sold prices.

I am currently trying to compile a list of the cards that I want in my collection. Both a general list and a Mantle list. I think my long term collecting goal will be a Mantle set...but I don't know how deep I will do. I might just try and stick with the mainstream Topps and Bowman issues. But, who knows.

I have been in discussions with a seller on eBay for a 1957 Topps Mantle PSA 4 and I just purchased it. I might have overpaid a bit...but the card has wonderful centering and that is a big thing for me. Compared to other PSA 4s I have seen in the past, this card really passes the eye test...at least based on the auction photos. It's the first decent Mantle I have purchased (the only other I own is a 1960 Mantle/Boyer that I got for $15 years ago because it is SO beat up).
Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDMD View Post
That is interesting about the .ca thing on eBay. I have never tried that. I will use that from not on...very handy for trying to ascertain sold prices.

I am currently trying to compile a list of the cards that I want in my collection. Both a general list and a Mantle list. I think my long term collecting goal will be a Mantle set...but I don't know how deep I will do. I might just try and stick with the mainstream Topps and Bowman issues. But, who knows.

I have been in discussions with a seller on eBay for a 1957 Topps Mantle PSA 4 and I just purchased it. I might have overpaid a bit...but the card has wonderful centering and that is a big thing for me. Compared to other PSA 4s I have seen in the past, this card really passes the eye test...at least based on the auction photos. It's the first decent Mantle I have purchased (the only other I own is a 1960 Mantle/Boyer that I got for $15 years ago because it is SO beat up).
Congratulations on the pickup! The 57 is a beautiful card as is the 1960 Mantle/Boyer. For a while, the 1960 was my favorite card in my collection. My first was incredibly beat up as well. It had clearly been placed in bike spokes and had a massive crease right down the middle as a result. Despite picking up a cleaner copy, that is one I doubt I will ever get rid of.

Mainstream Topps and Bowman cards are a great way to go. That is how I started my collection then gradually added Topps inserts, Exhibits, Post Cereal, OPC, and Topps Venezuelans as I completed my other subsets. Collecting Mantles is a fun but addicting hobby.

If you are looking for a good checklist, the PSA Master Set registry is pretty comprehensive. They are only missing a couple Topps cards (Push Pull, two posters, a checklist variation, and the 52 Topps variation).
Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM

Talking So what did the '53 Stahl-Meyer Mantle go for, pawpawdiv9?

Just curious, pawpawdiv9, but you said a '53 Stahl-Meyer Mickey Mantle jumped the moon last night. Where? EBay? How much did that gorgeous card go for?

My advice to you CamaroDMD is to NOT buy anything Mickey Mantle right now. Your emotions are strong. You want to be the boy with a blunderbuss. Cool it.

Instead, romance the Mickey Mantle cards--period mainstream (cards and coins,etc. issued during Mickey's playing career, including 1969, since Topps went ahead with any already planned uses for Mantle), period regional/food, test issues, post career. LEARN as much as you can BEFORE YOU START SPENDING YOUR MONEY. LEARN what was ever made, and get a good look at pictures of those cards.

You want to buy graded. That is a good thing for any period except post career probably. Personally, I would want at least a PSA5 - SGC 60 EXCELLENT condition. There are exceptions. There always seems to be exceptions. The category of regional/food issues and Topps test issues is an exception because they tend to be more scarce and have condition sensitivity that's either off the charts or blows the roof off. Example--someone mentioned Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle. I personally believe LOW high-grade commences with PSA2 GOOD. The manner in which the card was issued for the most part is responsible for Stahl-Meyers grading so low. Collectors are really beginning to understand this, and with its dynamite photo, they want reasons to justify spending thousands for a card that typically looks like the inside of a goat's stomach. The story behind these cards is marvelous--that is one of the major draws of the regional/food issues--their story.

Buying mainstream is a great idea. You are wise to choose specimens with choice centering. Be picky. Be very picky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, know what is typical for the issue. The other aspect I believe you should strive for is a superb picture registry. Cards out of focus is a big turnoff. I do not care how important of an issue it is you buy. If the card's photo is fuzzy, in time you will hate it, and it will be tough to unload because there's a lot of collectors like me--they want that nice picture quality.

This brings us back to buying quality, at least EXCELLENT. If possible, buy something that had a problem that reduced it to excellent but is not an eyesore to you. Of course, centered cards are something the reputable card authenticators really appreciate, and they reward it accordingly.

Whatever you do, if you want Mantle, collect what you can honestly afford and which images really move you. Collector/investor Marshal Fogel made a really good point at a seminar about regarding cards as art. The picture the manufacturer chooses is crucial, as is the card design. As you are aware, there were a lot of cards made of Mickey Mantle. Many were good, some were outstanding, and a few downright stunk. Unless you wish to follow what the general consensus is for Mantle cards, decide for yourself. Sure, I could express to you the general consensus, but that I suspect you already know. I could tell you my favorite Topps and Bowmans, but what good is that?

Related to the above, many fabulous post-career cards were made of Mick. They are not worth much, but so what? Unless, of course, you rate future potential value as a major motivating factor for yourself. Remember, those post-career cards are not vintage period cards, but their photo is. A good-looking card is a good-looking card, unless you feel you are throwing your money away on worthless cards because they have no upside potential. I cannot afford what I want, so I personally went with Mickey Mantle's post career cards, but I was very choosy. Let all who wish laugh their heads off at me for saying these things. In these times, more people need a good laugh. If I make you laugh over the idea of collecting modern Mickey, I hope it lifts up your day. But, I am happy with the modern Mantles I have chosen. They have given me lots of fattening eye candy to go with what Mantles I still have from my years when I did collect period Mantle.

What exactly are your goals and why?

How important are bragging rights, impressing your fellow hobbyists, and if it is important, convincing your wife (if you are married) that what you are buying is somewhat of an investment.

Is it a hobby, or an investment? Must be both at the prices the vintage cards cost. It MUST please you and give you personal satisfaction.

I hope this was helpful, as it probably took a long time to read!

Cheers. Wish you the very best. Happy researching, and then happy hunting! ------------Brian Powell
Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

some nice points made ^^^^^.
Before spending...look at the card registry..There be tons of Mantles stuff.
It not cheap either....i compiled a good bunch..mostly graded 3-6 range.
Pending how much $$ you want to invest.
If i had to start over again..i would only go after the most desired ones or rare/scarce ones. Many of us will never be able to afford the 52 topps #311.
Before i started..i looked into the vintage cards..the idea of owning Cobb,Ruth,Dimaggio,Wagner,mattheson...and so on...
For someone on a budget, you can pick up some nice pieces.

BTW- the 53 Stalh-Meyer sold last night on EBAY by Probstein123 for 1,584.00
It stated the VCP value was 1,997...not sure if thats true?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360643510357...84.m1435.l2649

He also has that SCARCE HR DERBY ending today.....for those with deep pockets. Personally think its overvalued compared to the RARE Wheaties.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM

Default Collecting

Quote:
I have been a football card collector for a long time...mostly interested in sets and more recently interested in vintage sets. However, a little part of me has always wanted to do a baseball vintage collection. Not sets, but of individual specific cards.

For example, a while back I picked up a couple vintage baseball cards that I had wanted for a long time. I picked up a 1972 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 6 and more recently the 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan RC PSA 5. Long story short, I am starting to feel hooked.

I am interested in adding to this small collection and I want to mainly pick up graded cards. Since I do most of my buying online I feel that it is a little safer. Obviously, I will still make sure that I carefully inspect the cards photo...but graded makes me feel a little better when buying online.

I think I want to focus on major stars with a special emphasis on Mickey Mantle. When I was a kid...I collected the 1996 Topps Mantle's and got very interested in him. I would like to find some of those originals.

Any advice that you guys could give me would be very appreciated. I was referred here from another site because I was told there are many vintage experts here. I would prefer to learn from your past mistakes rather than make my own...lol.

Thanks.
The only item I can really add to the advice mentioned above is collect what you enjoy the most. You can't go wrong that way. It sounds like a starting on a Mantle run is one of them.

Here is a checklist from PSA's set registry:

http://www.psacard.com/PSASETREGISTR...te.aspx?c=1792
Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Patrick N.

Default Book

This book has a nice photo pic of every Topps cards from the early 50s to 80s, you might consider buying it and checking off cards you "must have".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-THREE...item4854b3e1f7
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Chris (above) and some of the others are great to chat with about these things. One of the best things about the hobby is discussing cards with fellow collectors.

One thing I recently learned that I found pretty helpful is the difference between the US eBay website and the Canadian one (eBay.ca). The US website will no longer allow you to view the price a card sold for when a seller accepted a best offer. All the completed listing says is that a best offer was accepted. However, you can replace the .com with .ca in the URL to link to the Canadian sight where it provides actual pricing information. Please note though that the price accepted is not always the actual value of the card (I know I have over paid before for a card I really wanted).
Wow, I just learned something new. Thank you, Chris!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 AM
Bill Gregory

Welcome to the forum, CamaroDMD!

I'm in the same boat you are, about to start my own vintage collection. I've been spending a lot of time reading, and learning, before putting my money down. You won't find a friendlier, more knowledgeable group anywhere.

I think the suggestion to decide what you want to collect is a great one. That's what I'm working on now. I'd love to buy every great vintage card ever made, but I know my resources won't allow it. So, I've been spending my time watching Ebay, looking at cards of the players I really love, and I've been narrowing down a list of 20 or so cards I want to buy right off the bat. Once I have more of a feel for what I really like, I'll expand it.

One other thing I would recommend doing (and this is something I'm going to start as a separate discussion). Once you buy a card, remember that Ebay will only store the purchase information for three years. I think it would be useful to keep a copy of the purchase receipt to establish provenance. As you buy cards, you're going to want to insure them, and while pictures are always a must, having proof of ownership would be invaluable.

Do your research, and ask questions. When you're not sure of something, ask! The regulars of this forum have probably seen everything there is to know collectively, and they have an incredibly high level of hobby sophistication. They do a great job of policing the hobby, too. If they see something that doesn't look right, they post about it.

Most importantly, but what you love.

I can't wait to see your collection. When you get that '57 Mantle in, please share it (that's one of the ones on my short list).

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 AM

I have been doing some research...especially into Mantle's and the more I look the more I find myself drawn to the base more than anything (of course, the most expensive). I think I'm going to define my collection mostly which base Mantle's. I do really like the All-Star cards they issued starting in 1958 too...I'll probably gravitate towards those and then a couple of his other mainstream issues (such as the '58 Topps Mantle/Aaron).

What originally got me interested in his cards was the release of the 1996 Topps Mantle set when I was a kid. I put together a set of the 1996 Finest Mantle's and I really enjoyed it. I think the base cards that comprised that set are what really got me interested and I want my main focus to be on those cards.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Chris

Quote:
I have been doing some research...especially into Mantle's and the more I look the more I find myself drawn to the base more than anything (of course, the most expensive). I think I'm going to define my collection mostly which base Mantle's. I do really like the All-Star cards they issued starting in 1958 too...I'll probably gravitate towards those and then a couple of his other mainstream issues (such as the '58 Topps Mantle/Aaron).
You cannot go wrong with that approach. The All-Star cards are some of the more attractive Topps issues. Those were some of the last cards I added to my mainstream Mantle set. With the exception of the 1958, it is tough to track down affordable examples of a lot of them. Be careful though, Mantle collecting is addictive. I started with Topps and Bowman. Five years later and I am chasing stadium issued photos, coins, and postcards. Even looking for that stupid key chain insert and a reflective decal....

Bill, what set are you working on?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Bill Gregory

Chris, I won't really be collecting any sets, more individual players (at least to start). I plan on skipping around a lot. I want to start off with a medium-high grade SGC or PSA card for several different players right off the bat. Clemente, Aaron, Musial, Mantle, Mays, Spahn, Mathews, all 3 Robinsons, Koufax, Ford, Marichal, McCovey (lots of M's!)

I'll be buying vintage pretty soon.