NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-07-2014, 07:18 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Walt Disney Opinion...

Hey guys,

I have been offered this Walt Disney cut. Please let me know your thoughts, as entertainment is out of my realm of comfort. Jim and Richard I know that you both buy and sell a large number of entertainment autograph, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.0 KB, 222 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Just my opinion and I don't know anything about Disney, but it appears slowly drawn in the Wa and then in the Y at the end. You probably know a lot more than me about entertainment autographs, but i'm told Disney is as tough to find real as Gehrig.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Contact Phil Sears. He's the unquestioned Disney expert.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Contact Phil Sears. He's the unquestioned Disney expert.
Agree one hundred percent.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:05 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I've reached out to Phil, but haven't heard back yet. Still wanted the fine folks of Net54's input.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Banned

Phil sears for sure. He charges $35 for a quick opinion and he's the only person id trust when it comes to authenticating disney's auto which is very highly forged
Old 01-08-2014, 01:04 PM

(I think) I've attached a Disney signed piece, authenticated by Mr Sears. Hope it helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DISNEY DISPLAY (240x320) (240x320).jpg (46.6 KB, 146 views)
Old 01-08-2014, 04:07 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Per Phil Sears:
I have reviewed the image you provided of the "Walt Disney" signature. The signature is not consistent with Walt Disney's autograph for any era. The "BEST WISHES" is an exaggerated jumble; the "W" is incorrectly constructed; the "a" is too large, the "l" is to small, the "t" is improperly drawn; the "is" in "Disney" shows uncharacteristic slowness in addition to being accomplished incorrectly.

This is a "preliminary" opinion because it is based upon a photograph. I only issue certificates of authenticity after inspecting an autograph in person. I do not recommend going to the expense of sending this piece to me for further evaluation. While a piece that looks good in a photo sometimes looks worse in person, the reverse is not true. A signature that is clearly bad in a photograph never looks better upon closer scrutiny.
Lastly, a word about myself. I have specialized in Walt Disney's autograph habits for 20 years. I have served as the Walt Disney autograph consultant for Sotheby's animation auctions in New York and Christie's South Kensington in London. I maintain a good, information-sharing relationship with the Walt Disney Studio Archives, and I am the only autograph dealer specializing in Walt Disney autographed items. My reference files of copies of authentic, forged, and secretarial Disney material is extensive. I have assembled a database tracking the evolution of Walt Disney's autograph virtually year-by-year, from the 1920's to his death in 1966. I am contributor to the Walt Disney Family Museum and I am a longtime member in good standing of the Manuscript Society and U.A.C.C., two groups dedicated to the betterment of the autograph collecting field.
Sincerely,
Phil Sears

Old 01-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Well that pretty much settles that!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Banned

its funny because before I knew who phil sears was I looked at many disney autos and they all looked about the same to me real and fake. I finally did some researching and contacted him with most of the disney autos I thought were for sure authentic and they all turned out to be fake except one. Saved me alot of money
Old 01-09-2014, 06:32 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Per Phil Sears:
I have reviewed the image you provided of the "Walt Disney" signature. The signature is not consistent with Walt Disney's autograph for any era. The "BEST WISHES" is an exaggerated jumble; the "W" is incorrectly constructed; the "a" is too large, the "l" is to small, the "t" is improperly drawn; the "is" in "Disney" shows uncharacteristic slowness in addition to being accomplished incorrectly.

This is a "preliminary" opinion because it is based upon a photograph. I only issue certificates of authenticity after inspecting an autograph in person. I do not recommend going to the expense of sending this piece to me for further evaluation. While a piece that looks good in a photo sometimes looks worse in person, the reverse is not true. A signature that is clearly bad in a photograph never looks better upon closer scrutiny.
Lastly, a word about myself. I have specialized in Walt Disney's autograph habits for 20 years. I have served as the Walt Disney autograph consultant for Sotheby's animation auctions in New York and Christie's South Kensington in London. I maintain a good, information-sharing relationship with the Walt Disney Studio Archives, and I am the only autograph dealer specializing in Walt Disney autographed items. My reference files of copies of authentic, forged, and secretarial Disney material is extensive. I have assembled a database tracking the evolution of Walt Disney's autograph virtually year-by-year, from the 1920's to his death in 1966. I am contributor to the Walt Disney Family Museum and I am a longtime member in good standing of the Manuscript Society and U.A.C.C., two groups dedicated to the betterment of the autograph collecting field.
Sincerely,
Phil Sears
WOW! That is getting your $35 worth. Never interacted with Phil Sears, but that's what I would like to see when I am not a SME and paying someone for their opinion before I drop $1000+ on an autograph.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:46 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Yeah...He definitely covers all the bases!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 AM

Wow. Really nice response.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Yes, a lot better then that same old generic garbage that PSA and JSA put on EVERY letter that explains absolutely nothing in regard to why the autograph may not be authentic. This would well be worth the fee charged.