NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 AM
Noel

Default Auto on a Wax pack

Kind of an odd question but just want to get some opinions. Has anyone ever had an autograph on a wax pack? Did it hold the signature? The only item i have for a player doing a signing tomorrow is a wax pack so I am hoping it is possible.
Thanks for any help!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:55 AM
bR@dY ThuRsT0N

I can't imagine that any ink pen/sharpie would adhere well to a wax pack. That is if it's in fact a 'wax' pack. My suggestion would be to lose the pack altogether and go with a simple blank index card. I've been in a bind myself in your situation and that has always seemed to work out for me. They work great for matting with a photo or simply as is. Either way, good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Whose signature are you obtaining?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Noel

Default Meadowlark Lemon

The signature is Meadowlark Lemon--the only item of memorabilia I have is a 1972 Fleer Wax Pack of the Harlem Globetrotters.

Thanks for the inputs and that is what i thought about a wax pack. I will try to index card and then perhaps buy some memorabilia to go with it. Although if I get a chance to get a 2nd auto I will try it on the wax pack as i am very curious as to how it comes out!

Thanks for replies and i will post a pic once i get the auto...
Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I believe a regular sharpie will work on a wax pack. If you must use the wax pack, I would suggest testing it out on something of the same material.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 01-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Charlie

You might also want to try a paint pen.
They flow a bit more freely than a sharpie and that may prove a bit better on a wax pack. They cost a little more that a sharpie but when "primed" properly they give a nice appearance.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Sean Brennan

I got red grange on a sportskings wrapper about 20 years ago. It looked nice signed in sharpie. I don't have it anymore but I doubt the signature faded or anything.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Mike Navarro

go to Wal-Mart and pick up the NBA Indoor/outdoor basketball. They are relatively inexpensive ($20 or so) and make a great medium for basketball autographs

Last edited by thenavarro; 01-05-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I can't see getting a sealed wax pack signed, especially a vintage one.

First, I think it would damage the "integrity" of the pack as a vintage item by adding a non-vintage signature, no matter how relevant.

Second, there's always the risk of the pack being damaged during the signing process, presuming this is a pack with a stick of gum in it and the gum is in the front.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Sean Brennan

my Grange was AWESOME. Wish I had it back
Old 01-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Noel

Default Wax Pack Auto

Just wanted to give an update on the wax pack auto--I tried multiple times to upload a pic with no success as i think the jpg was too big. I had my daughter autograph an '87 fleer wax pack as a test and it held the signature better than just about any surface possible. I could not smear it no matter how hard i pressed, even with a little water, the signature did not so much as smudge! Now this was different from the '72 Fleer pack i was taking down to get auto'd but still felt very similar. I have no doubts it would have held up just fine.
Unfortunately, Meadowlark did not feel comfortable signing the pack but was an absolute gentleman and happily signed an 8x10 for me and an index card for my daughter. I have some great pics so i will continue to try to post them. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Last edited by esehombre; 01-12-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:06 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Interesting. What do you mean he 'did not feel comfortable' signing the pack? He should sign whatever the hell is put in front of him.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Noel

Default Auto on Pack

Sorry, I should have clarified up front. This was a USO tour that was a meet and greet--everything was completely free of charge. He said the pack was too small and that he had broken his hand so many times it pained him to sign something that small. He did sign the index card but it was quite "shaky".
Old 01-12-2014, 05:26 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Ohhhh...ok. Thanks for the info!