NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Michael

Default encapsulation benefits

I have 100's of rarer signed cards that aren't encapsulated. Jim Stinson, Ron Gordon, Bill Corcoran etc are the major guys I have bought from as well as auctions and folks like Jim have seen the items and know they are real. I also have become a pretty good judge as many of you have. I'd kind of like to get them encapsulated- but prices are stupid and I want it for protection possibly more than for authentication.
1) are their compnaies that will encapsulate and label cheaply just so I can have it more protected than a toploader- something that can't be opened? Have you used these compnaies and are they trustworthy?
2) on rarer items that are worth say $500+ do you think getting a PSA or JSA raises the value enough if I ever decided to sell to be worth submitting to them?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 PM
John Smithwick

I guess I'm wondering why it's important they can't be opened if it's just for your convenience and the card's protection? If that's all it is, then what about the typical screw down holder. Cost is something like 60 cents. But any holder is heavy and thick and if you have hundreds, storage could be a problem.

As for encapsulation, my first thought is to contact a SSS who may be sitting on a stack of empty plastic holders gathering dust. But then, do you really want to send your autographs to a self slabber?

Another thought is Tri Star. Do they slab their own auto inserts? Can't remember. If so, that may be a choice.

Or wait until SGC or PSA run a special. They may offer an ever greater break for a large quantity like yours.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
qu@n nguy3n

depends on when you plan to sell...but in the immediate future i'd say $500+ items will bring in more money with a psa/dna or jsa name behind them. lowest authentication/encapsulation prices these days is around $11 per card psa/dna up to 3x5 size, and the "autograph" value has to be less than $150-$200 (think nolan ryan ernie banks, hank aaron, ted williams, mickey mantle).

for guys i know in your collection like lajoie, speaker, etc they will probably cost at least $25 w/o a special at psa. i'm not familiar with jsa as they're just starting to maybe do encapsulation but psa/dna seems to have better name recognition anyway.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 01-13-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Putting them in hard plastic cases for their protection makes sense. Spending a lot for authentication if you don't plan on selling in the near future seems to be a waste of money. You don't need the opinion because you're unsure of authenticity. You want the cert to increase the sale price, so do it when you're ready to sell.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM
S Vincent

I send all my checks to PSA for this very reason. I happen to love the look of the check in their holders and think it makes for an even nicer display piece.

I just wait until they are doing a $10 or $15 special and send them in. I would never spend more than that, as I'm not doing it for fear they aren't authentic or anything. But for the $10 or $15, it's just like spending money to frame an 8x10.

That's what I do. But to each their own.