NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2023, 10:47 PM
Jared Harrington

Default Getting back into vintage collecting after hiatus and have questions...

Howdy! I got into vintage card collecting over a decade ago, enjoyed this forum, bought some cards...but then got distracted by other things and took a break. My goal was always to collect a short bucket list of cards to frame and display and now I'd like to turn back to my list. To help me catch up, I have a couple questions:

1. How has pricing evolved since ~2010 and what direction is it currently trending? I'm primarily looking at popular HOFers from T206, CJ, Goudey, and the 50's Topps sets. Mid- to low grade. Not fishing for specific numbers, just curious about the atmospherics.

2. What did I miss regarding the grading companies? After browsing a few pages of the forum tonight, I was surprised at the negativity toward PSA, SCG, etc. I ask this question because I previously preferred SCG-graded cards because their black slabs look nice behind a mat and frame. I'm not a flipper or grade hunter, but I do appreciate the protection and extra sense of authenticity.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2023, 04:06 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

1. Prices have gone up into the ionosphere.

2. The complaints about PSA generally revolve around them giving cards (purposefully?) lower grades than they deserve, and about how frickin' long it takes to get your cards back from them. It's ridiculous. On the other hand, SGC has been lightning quick, sending your cards back in like a week or two. So, if that's your preferred TPG, you'll be extremely happy with the turnaround time.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:39 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

simple prices have gone up dramatically as mentioned before and alot of cards are not being moved around as much (people holding more for investments) so it is harder to collect certain sets like the 1914 CJ

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-23-2023, 05:21 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

1. There was a massive price spike across the board in 2021. The modern market has come down a long way. The vintage market has come down a little, but prices remain much higher than they were before

2. PSA has (in my opinion) dramatically tightened their grading standards. I’ve seen many cards that I believe were 3s and 4s come back as 2s and 2.5s. I think SGC is strict, but not to the same extreme. There are a few other companies that have tried to enter the game, but I don’t think any have made significant inroads on the vintage side (CSG seems to be the strongest of the new graders).

Welcome back
Old 03-23-2023, 05:53 AM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
1. How has pricing evolved since ~2010 and what direction is it currently trending? !
Think how surpised someone who last collected in 1970 would have found the prices for vintage cards when walking into a card store for the first time in about 1993 or so.

This is the sort of sticker shock you should be steadying yourself for.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:08 AM
Fred

Quote:
1. How has pricing evolved since ~2010 and what direction is it currently trending? I'm primarily looking at popular HOFers from T206, CJ, Goudey, and the 50's Topps sets. Mid- to low grade. Not fishing for specific numbers, just curious about the atmospherics.

2. What did I miss regarding the grading companies? After browsing a few pages of the forum tonight, I was surprised at the negativity toward PSA, SCG, etc. I ask this question because I previously preferred SCG-graded cards because their black slabs look nice behind a mat and frame. I'm not a flipper or grade hunter, but I do appreciate the protection and extra sense of authenticity.
1. Overall, pricing since 2010 has gone up significantly. In the past few years there seems to have been a huge spike resulting is a "bubble" a lot of people feel will deflate at some point. T206, CJs and Goudeys have risen in price a lot since 2010.

2. TPGs are assigning grades to altered (mostly trimmed) cards. It appears there's that there's really no recourse to poor subjectivity. SGC has new ownership which appears to have resulted in more "liberal" subjectivity (just my opinion). I used to like SGC over PSA because the holders were nice and I didn't care about "valuation" of cards in a specific TPG holder. Recently, I made a few purchases of cards in the new SGC holders and I can see (just my opinion - but I've been doing this for a while) that SGC is assigning numerical grades to altered cards. When you start researching more, you'll find out that PSA cards tend to sell for higher prices than SGC graded cards.

You're going to hear this saying from a lot of experienced collectors:

"Buy the card, not the holder".

As the saying goes, every thread should have a picture of a nice vintage card. Think about this - the very first card graded by PSA is the following, and if you know the background of this card then consider how grading started for sports cards:

PSA8 Wagner T206.jpg
Old 03-23-2023, 07:38 AM

1. Vintage cards took off like a rocket starting February 2021, right after the 1952 Topps Mick PSA 9 purchase for $5M+ and Hank Aaron's death, both in January 2021. There was a lot of buzz in and about the card collecting industry at that time. Covid had been around for 1 year by then, and people realized it wasn't going to be the end of times, so didn't need to hoard their cash. Ongoing lockdown put more cash in people's pockets from government stimulus and savings from commuting, leaving more for discretionary spending. The lockdown also put more time on people's hands, so had more opportunity to reconnect with the hobby. Pre-February you could eBay best offer sellers on any vintage HOFer for a 15-25% discount. Now, you really need to be the highest bidder in an auction or take a chance on an upgraded card. Some cards pre-Feb 2021 included: 52 Topps Mick in PSA 1 for $15K. 48 Leaf Ruth in SGC A for $500. 53 Topps Mick in PSA 1 for $750. 53 Topps Mays in PSA 2 for $450. 52 Topps Mays in PSA 1 for $450 and $1600 in PSA 2. 09 T206 Cobb Red in PSA A for $1500. 51 Bowman Mays in PSA 1 for $1500. Most of these cards and others have doubled, tripled or better since 2020. It's great to see these player's amazing cards get their due!

2. PSA is good for resale (it has the most submissions and was first to market so has solid name ID). SGC is good for personal collections and pre-war cards due to the black background for smaller cards in a plastic holder. Some collectors will disagree with this, that's ok because we're all drawn to cards and grading/not grading for valid reasons.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:48 AM
Jared Harrington

Thanks for the replies!

All the comments on pricing are pretty much what I feared, especially wrt potentially being on a bubble. I'm bullish on the prospect of a broader economic recession, so I guess I may have to monitor things a while. Already took a punch to the beans with our first house purchase last fall, haha.

Good to hear that there's nothing that should concern me regarding the grading companies. All I need is consistency across my collection for display purposes, so as long as there are no signs that SGC is about to flop I'll just stick with them.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:21 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

All the comments on pricing are pretty much what I feared, especially wrt potentially being on a bubble. I'm bullish on the prospect of a broader economic recession, so I guess I may have to monitor things a while. Already took a punch to the beans with our first house purchase last fall, haha.

Good to hear that there's nothing that should concern me regarding the grading companies. All I need is consistency across my collection for display purposes, so as long as there are no signs that SGC is about to flop I'll just stick with them.
For all their warts, like any TPG'er, I prefer SGC for my prewar collection. If I plan on reselling then the quality of the card always takes precedence regardless of the holder, except the stinkers like PRO if they still exist.

PSA still rules because of set registry and pop counts. IF SGC can get their act together on these key measurements then I think the price gap will shrink over time.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:07 PM
Lonnie Nagel

Maybe Im looking in the wrong places but it appears to me that there isnt much difference in the price of low-mid grade T206's between PSA & SGC?
Old 03-23-2023, 01:20 PM

Eye appeal (high end for the grade) is seemingly more important now than it ever was - centering, print blips, focus, color, tilt cut, crease location on lower technical grade cards. Also, as long as the eye appeal is nice, SGC has closed the gap with PSA prices.