NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-08-2023, 11:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default LOL the graph says it all

A representative modern card, from the PSA website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (525).jpg (139.4 KB, 352 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:27 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The important thing is that this is impossible to happen to a card made before 1980 for some reason. Empty your 401K’s and buy in. Everything is and always will be fine. It’s like free money.
Old 04-08-2023, 03:18 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, even after the crash, it looks like that regularly $255 card still sells for $1250 or so. So the floor has been shifted quite a bit, even removing the bubble sales.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:14 AM

Yes, that's the story I'm seeing...a brief period of lock-down driven madness, but the return has been to a new, somewhat higher floor.

Considering it's not that long ago that we were going through a decade-long hand wringing about whether the hobby was dying, it's a very good sign.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:09 PM
Curt

I wouldn't discount the hobby dying thing coming back, especially at how quickly some of the new returnees are getting bored and dropping back out because everything has dropped from the pandemic levels they saw when they got back into it.

There seems to be those areas that remain strong, like vintage stars and rookie cards, but will there always be a market for everything else?

On a facebook group, I had posted about doing the right thing to package items in preparation of forces outside our control damaging the packages in route (sorting machines, careless mail carriers, etc) and this was all lost on the majority, but what they did want to focus on was the "insignificant" worth of the card I used in the example and who the guy was anyway. The subject card was a certified autograph card of Ben Oglivie. Who cares now and especially in the future for the Ben Oglivie's of the collecting world! If it isn't Mays or Ruth and the likes, the interest drops sharply.

What card are you showing, out of curiosity?

Last edited by mrmopar; 04-09-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:33 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

I too wonder out about the future market for minor stars/borderline HOFers 15 years from now. In baseball, the rookie cards of Biggio, Randy Johnson, John Smoltz, and even Ken Griffey Jr. still have some interest in the $5-100 range. But, those cards were $1-5/ea back when they were active if you didn't pull them out of a 50 cent pack of cards.

By contrast, I see today players like Soto, Acuna, Vlad with 100s of different cards selling for $1000+ (if not, $10K or $100K) right out of the gate. Once they are done playing, how much of a market will there be to add $1K+ examples of borderline HOFers or minor stars? Do the millions of dollars in 4-digit rare cards of non-HOFers become $25 cards, or is there a continuing high end market for these rare cards of almost great players long after they are done playing?
Old 04-09-2023, 01:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I wouldn't discount the hobby dying thing coming back, especially at how quickly some of the new returnees are getting bored and dropping back out because everything has dropped from the pandemic levels they saw when they got back into it.

There seems to be those areas that remain strong, like vintage stars and rookie cards, but will there always be a market for everything else?

On a facebook group, I had posted about doing the right thing to package items in preparation of forces outside our control damaging the packages in route (sorting machines, careless mail carriers, etc) and this was all lost on the majority, but what they did want to focus on was the "insignificant" worth of the card I used in the example and who the guy was anyway. The subject card was a certified autograph card of Ben Oglivie. Who cares now and especially in the future for the Ben Oglivie's of the collecting world! If it isn't Mays or Ruth and the likes, the interest drops sharply.

What card are you showing, out of curiosity?
Hi Curt, it's a PSA 10 01 Topps Chrome Traded Ichiro rookie.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-09-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe need to push the "but everything is such a great deal compared to two years ago" narrative to keep them interested.

Although, I know a lot of long-time collectors are happy to see prices fall from their peaks, so they can buy more cards.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:20 PM
Curt

Would have hated to be the guy buying at or near the top of that peak!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Hi Curt, it's a PSA 10 01 Topps Chrome Traded Ichiro rookie.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Would have hated to be the guy buying at or near the top of that peak!
You wonder if even half of insane reported sales like that were real.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:55 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
I too wonder out about the future market for minor stars/borderline HOFers 15 years from now. In baseball, the rookie cards of Biggio, Randy Johnson, John Smoltz, and even Ken Griffey Jr. still have some interest in the $5-100 range. But, those cards were $1-5/ea back when they were active if you didn't pull them out of a 50 cent pack of cards.

By contrast, I see today players like Soto, Acuna, Vlad with 100s of different cards selling for $1000+ (if not, $10K or $100K) right out of the gate. Once they are done playing, how much of a market will there be to add $1K+ examples of borderline HOFers or minor stars? Do the millions of dollars in 4-digit rare cards of non-HOFers become $25 cards, or is there a continuing high end market for these rare cards of almost great players long after they are done playing?
Only the top-tier HOF players (think Trout and a few others) will come anywhere near holding their value. Too many manufactured rarity cards out there. They will find their way into dealers' $1 and $5 boxes, even in slabs. As opposed to earlier cards ('70s and older), all the modern cards will be in pristine shape 20-30 years from now - no PSA 4 or 5s. All centered 50/50 and with original shine and four sharp corners.

Now get off my lawn, you meddling kids.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)