NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-28-2007, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Default New Orleans team photo on eBay

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

This looks exactly like page 116 of my Baseball book by Patten and McSpadden. Exactly, but for that vertical crease a third of the way over from the left margin.

Anyone aware of such a supplement photo ever being issued? Or are my suspicions correct, this is a page out of a book that is matted and framed so the back of the item showing a final few paragraphs at the end of a chapter and page 115.

I didn't provide it, thank you for noticing.... I'm an idiot.

Here we go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120091694443&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

Old 02-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

You didn't provide the link, but even without seeing it I bet you are right. It's a high quality plate, so it must have been removed from the book.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Administrator

It is a great book....

But if he sells that one page for $4k, I might have to learn to live without my book if I can find a similar buyer.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Administrator

It does look like the plate from the book, unless it was also issued in another form.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Well if it ever was issued another way, seems to me someone on here would be aware of it. I'm not aware of anything other than the page in the book. The page size is consistent with the auction item.

Of course they might not post unless they have a well callused neck so their head doesn't get bitten off.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Frank

Did you email the seller with your query? I emailed the seller. He immediately responded and I am following up with him. From what he described, it looks like the photo from the book, but I'll let you know if it is otherwise.

Max

Old 02-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

This may be my one stupid question of the day but if it's in a book where did it originate?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator

I would guess the New Orleans Pelicans posed for a team photo, as most teams would. Of course, Jackson was unknown at that time, so my question is why was that photo deemed important enough to make the book?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Schrader - Bagger's Sportscards

All,

I always thought my first official post on the Net 54 board would be under better circumstances. Thanks to Max and everyone else for your insight on this item. The item was recently purchased from a major auction house and I was using a lot of their research and information in my Ebay listing. It has been removed from Ebay since it is likely a framed page from a book and not a unique uncatalogued supplement. I had no intent to deceive anyone on this end as I strayed outside of my area of expertise and unfortunately paid for it. I apologize for the confusion it caused. Thanks.

Dave Schrader - Bagger's Sportscards

Old 02-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Good call Dave. I've always considered you one of the hobby good guys!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I don't have the Colliers book so I can only speculate as to why the Pelicans were included in the book, but Jackson wasn't completely unknown in 1910 as he had led the Carolina league in batting in 1908 his first year of organized professional baseball and was picked up by Connie Mack....getting picked up by Mack at that time would have brought some notoriety...of course he fled back to his home-state because he was homesick...and the next season was among the league leaders in batting in the Sally league...In 1910 Jackson was brought up at the end of the season and tore it up in Cleveland...depending on when the editors of the book decided to put the Pelicans team photo in the book he may have been pretty well known.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator

If that is the case, and you make a fair point, then the photo was included only because of Jackson, and the fact it is the Pelicans is significantly less important.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator

I don't know Barry as I don't have the book and I don't know the context of its inclusion. I just wanted to point out that in baseball circles (and that would have included the authors of the book) that Jackson was a known quantity in 1910.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Leon

Good call. I have bought from you many times and have always considered you a great guy. I look to do business with you in the future too. If I can ever be of help, with the board or anything else, let me know. Welcome to the board and join in some time.....take care.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

I have a friend who has one of the known cabinets with the same exact image. It was probably then reproduced in several formats.

Scott

Old 02-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Good move, Dave.

My recollection was that I'd bought something from you before, and I perceived you to be a forthright and good eBay seller. And your listing didn't look like a scam, just possibly incorrect.

The Book of Baseball is a great book. Huge, about 15 1/2 tall, 11 wide.

William Patten and J. Walker McSpadden put the book together for Collier & Son in 1911. This is on the heels of the big boom in baseball interest. Minor league teams are at their peak, look at all of those little cards out there, WW I hasn't happened yet, times are great.

Chapters:

In the early days of the game

The National League

The American League and earlier rivals of the Nationals (this includes AA and UA stuff)

A review of the 1910 season

The art of pitching

Star plays and players

Making a championship club

The troubles of an umpire

Chasing the pennant

The Minor Leagues

The season of 1911

The New Orleans photo is sideways in the book, just as the chapter begins about chasing the pennant.

In the Minor League section are other teams, a full page of Rochester Champions in suits. Full page of Minneapolis in uniform, full page of Portland, 1910 PCL champions. Photos of half a dozen players, a park... New Orleans is in there because the Southern League was a significant component of the national game.

I bought the book because I thought it would help me with the book I keep not writing. "Who Are These Guys?", which would be about the players in T206. I thought of the title while watching Butch and Sundance looking at the posse that was chasing them. There are well over 100 photographs, lots of information about many players that are in T206. (Southern Leaguers Jordan and Brietenstein are pictured in the minor league section.) 159 big pages.

I'll photo the cover and post it tonight. The cover was used for Fleer Tradition baseball cards a few years ago, shows a batter with the bat over the plate, he looks a bit like Matty, and a catcher ready for the delivery but not crouched much.

Frank

Old 02-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Thanks Frank. That book has always been one of those items that I keep saying "I'm going to grab one of those one of these days". They pop up pretty regularly on ebay and in the auctionhouse auctions - I probably should get on that before too much time has passed and I'll be saying "why didn't I get that when I should have???"

Old 02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Ok,

Here are some images of the book.

There's the front. The book was issued with no dust jacket, image on the cover, dark red cloth strip on the back.

Bresnahan on the left page, 1910 Cubs team on the right.

Then the book is open to McGraw in a familiar photograph, Devlin, and that college boy pitcher that McGraw found... Mathewson was his name.

And then the book is open to where the New Orleans team photo is...

Seems to me that maybe a book each season might have been contemplated. It is a shame it wasn't continued. Baseball was booming in 1910!!!

And an apology, my book is not PSA 8 or 9, still, I kinda like it.

Frank.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

The board covers always come beat up. Had to do with the size of the book and the quality of the materials.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Would have been great if they'd put out a second book the following year, and the one after that... still, this one, right when it came out, is fantastic. Maybe I should just be thankful they did one book.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

I knew I had this wrapper somewhere... found it!

I think this Fleer wrapper is from 2005. What caught my eye the moment a friend gave me the pack was the cover. I had the book... which is depicted above. Gotta figure that Fleer just used it, no copyright anymore... don't ya reckon?