NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 AM

Default Yount Rookie Variation?

I don't know whether this has been discussed before on this forum...
The '75 Yount Rookie; a small percentage of them come with what look like blue clouds in the background. This is definitely not a "print mark" as aproximately 10-15% of the Yount Rookies you come across have these "clouds." My questions:
  1. Are these considered variations?
  2. What do the grading companies do with otherwise sharp Younts? Do the blue clouds detract from the grade? Are they given qualifiers? Can anyone explain from experience?
I ask because I have a razor sharp '75 set with a razor sharp "blue cloud" Yount. I'm wondering if I need to upgrade (which I'd perfer not to do). A replacement in this condition would set me back quite a bit. I tried to attach an ebay link to one of these Younts so you can see what I'm referring to. Not sure if it will work. Thank you in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Topps-2...ht_1548wt_1107

Last edited by Gr8Beldini; 11-20-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 AM

Unfortunately, I don't think that is a variant per se, more of a PD, though I have never seen a Yount graded PD because of it. There are any number of 70s Topps cards that wind up with similar excess ink.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Al Richter

Default Variants

I am a fairly avid collector of variant cards...which for me is just a card that differs in some respect from other cards like it...like this one, for whatever reason. I do not view such print differences or defects as variations....which for me are cards that differ because the manufacturer intentionally changed the card in some way or changed the printing process itself.

But, there are some cards, like the 57, Bakep, the 58 Herrer and the 61 Fairly, that while just print defects to me, are certainly treated by the hobby as variations. Everyone is entitled to their own view.

But what causes the value of a card to rise is when the print defect or variation or variant gets hobby recognition in a hobby catalog or the Registry master list. The process by which that happens these days seems hap hazard at best.

As an example take the 1952 Topps black star Campos. Some think it is a print defect others a real variation caused by a printing change. But, if you look on ebay now for Campos variations you will see two 1952 Campos cards that have a portion of the front border missing. These cards are more scarce than the black star version, but so far have no catalog or Registry recognition although it has been written about in SCD and was included in the 1952 Super Set that was recently auctioned, so it is starting to get some hobby recognition.

I know some folks who are working hard to get either or both SCD and PSA to recognize certain cards they have as "variations" If it happens, the value would soar, just like it did for the 61 Fairly green smudge card
Old 11-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I am a fairly avid collector of variant cards...
"Fairly avid"?

That made me laugh out loud.

Doug
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the responses, but what I was really trying to find out was, does this version (variation?) of the Yount detract from the card's value? If I had an otherwise perfect card (I do), do I want to upgrade this so as to keep the integrity of my high grade set?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
Thanks for the responses, but what I was really trying to find out was, does this version (variation?) of the Yount detract from the card's value? If I had an otherwise perfect card (I do), do I want to upgrade this so as to keep the integrity of my high grade set?
Well, that's entirely up to you. Does the card you have fit your high grade set parameters or not? It's all in the eye of the beholder. If you think you can do better, then by all means start looking. If it looks fine to you, then stand pat.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
"Fairly avid"?

That made me laugh out loud.

Doug
+3
Old 11-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Al Richter

Default Bullying

Leon---I am being bullied