NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-01-2019, 06:29 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

John, you and I have had this discussion a couple of times As you know, I have dabbled in prewar a couple of times at least. However, I have learned that I enjoy postwar collecting more...especially 1950s baseball. For the most part, it is more affordable for me, and I get more of what I want. To me, the players of the late 40s through the early 60s are larger than life. I am also a set builder by nature (although I have quit set building a few times and can quit again anytime I want ), and I like the 50s sets for that. I have also branched off into postwar football the last couple of years, and I am having a blast with that as well! There are some great sets and colorful characters to be found there!

Dabble or specialize. Team collect, player collect, type collect, set collect, collect stars only, etc. Do what you like, and then show it off!! I like to see what drives other collectors.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2019, 07:05 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
John, you and I have had this discussion a couple of times As you know, I have dabbled in prewar a couple of times at least. However, I have learned that I enjoy postwar collecting more...especially 1950s baseball. For the most part, it is more affordable for me, and I get more of what I want. To me, the players of the late 40s through the early 60s are larger than life. I am also a set builder by nature (although I have quit set building a few times and can quit again anytime I want ), and I like the 50s sets for that. I have also branched off into postwar football the last couple of years, and I am having a blast with that as well! There are some great sets and colorful characters to be found there!

Dabble or specialize. Team collect, player collect, type collect, set collect, collect stars only, etc. Do what you like, and then show it off!! I like to see what drives other collectors.

We have, and clearly it's something I can't quite get off of my mind. Here lately I will tell you I have been way more interested in early 70's stars and RC's for some reason than anything else. I guess all collecting could be thought of as changing seasons, or at least for some people. From last year back at least probably 5-7 years I didn't care much at all about 70's cards and didn't have anything noteable in my collection. Weird.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I go in and out of post war (mostly to sell). They are generally just too common for me to like very much. I like rarity and scarcity and pre-war is better than post war, to me, in that respect. Good debate though.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My childhood collecting years were 1971-1980. I love the cards from that era so I collect them. I started back up with all four sports about 6 years ago and at the time bought a lot of slabbed cards. I've since decided that I am better off and enjoy raw cards more except for the superstars, so I am selling off the slabs and replacing with raw cards instead. So my Ryan run is slabbed but my Blylevens are raw. I don't get too hung up on technical grades, I just want them to look like they did when I opened the packs, so centering is a nice but unnecessary thing.

In terms of prewar, I've always preferred a bunch of lesser grade cards to one high grade cards. Take Babe Ruth: when I decided to fill in a bunch of his cards about 10-15 years ago, I went for lower grade in quantity. I suppose it has to do with my childhood collecting. I did not see high grade cards from the 1920s-1930s, I saw g-vg cards. I 'feel' those. And I far and away prefer having a stack of Babe Ruth instead of one card. I left a lot of money on the table not going higher grade I suppose, but WTF, it is my fun not my career.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-01-2019, 09:00 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
We have, and clearly it's something I can't quite get off of my mind. Here lately I will tell you I have been way more interested in early 70's stars and RC's for some reason than anything else. I guess all collecting could be thought of as changing seasons, or at least for some people. From last year back at least probably 5-7 years I didn't care much at all about 70's cards and didn't have anything noteable in my collection. Weird.
If you remember about a month and a half ago or so, you and I talked about 70s baseball cards because I was starting to get interested in them. Ultimately, I opted for some 50s Dodgers star cards and then 50s and 60s football. However, I won't rule out eventually building some 70s sets...although the enormous # of cards in those sets is a bit of a turn off. So I get what you are saying.

I used to worry about my collection having focus, now I don't. If I get on a 50s and 60s football kick like I have been off and on for the last three years, that's what I do. If I get to wanting more 50s baseball, that's what I do. If I get to liking 50s Brooklyn HOFers, I buy some and enjoy them. I recently finished off a nice little 1954 Topps baseball set and might someday build 1955. I think those black 71s are beautiful, and if my OCD allows me to, I might chase that set someday. I will probably never buy another tobacco card again because I just don't want them personally, and I tried liking them a few tines... I just didn't relate to them. You have some good cards and some good ideas, and you like baseball cards. Buy the ones you like. You won't go wrong, my friend!

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 02-01-2019 at 09:03 PM.