NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Glenn

Default Hello from Glasgow, Scotland

Hey guys,

I just signed up to Net54 earlier this week. Looking forward to reading and contributing to the forums. I thought I'd throw a few lines out to introduce myself.

Although born in Detroit, I now happen to live in Glasgow, Scotland and being an overseas collector of vintage items certainly has its challenges - although its not nearly as tough as it was 20 years ago!!

Since 1997, I’ve been fortunate enough to be a member of a group of vintage baseball card enthusiasts called OBC (Old Baseball Cards). Thanks to OBC, my collection has grown, but more importantly I’ve made many friends with whom I share a common interest.

I was 13 when I moved to Scotland in 1973, but those 13 years were long enough for me to develop a lifelong love affair with the Detroit Tigers. For me, Ernie Harwell was the true sound of summer, and watching guys like Norm Cash, Al Kaline, Willie Horton and Mickey Stanley strut their stuff at Tiger Stadium was always fun. I'm really looking forward to the one-two punch of Miggy Cabrera and Prince Fielder in this year's lineup.

I started collecting cards in 1969 and thanks to an older cousin who passed a lot of his stuff along to me, I had mostly complete sets from 1960-1964 and 1968-1973 by the time we moved overseas. The bad news is that 95% of my collection didn't come to Scotland with me. I didn't return to the States again until 1988, a vacation which rekindled my interest in card collecting. Another visit in 1990 saw me starting to buy cards again, at that point mainly Tigers from the 1960s. Through the first half of the 1990s, I did most of my buying online form dealers such as Bill Henderson and Solomon Cramer. My collecting really took off in 1997 when I discovered and joined the OBC online group, of which I remain a proud member to this day.

When I stated collecting again, my goals were to pick up Tigers, and to reconstruct the sets that started me off - 1969 to 1973 Topps. Things have expanded somewhat since then! Here's a list of what I work on these days:

• Detroit Tigers cards of all eras
  • Tigers related items and memorabilia - books, mags, autographs, bats, gloves, balls.....anything Tigers related.
  • Bobby Thomson items - cards and memorabilia associated with the most famous ballplayer to be born here in Glasgow, Scotland.
  • Detroit Red Wings cards of all eras
  • Detroit Lions cards of all eras
  • Topps Baseball 1957-1959, 1962, 1963, 1966, 1967
  • Topps and OPC Hockey 1968-1973
  • Topps Football 1969-1972
  • Topps Heritage Baseball (the only UV product I routinely buy)

My wantlist in full can be accessed via the link at the bottom of this message.

I hope that gives you a bit of a flavor of who I am. See you round the boards!!

Glenn
Old 03-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Glenn

Oops....link didn't appear. Here it is.

Glenn's Want List
Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Jon Canfield

Welcome to the board.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default welcome Glenn

Welcome Glenn. You are among friends here. I think a lot of the OBC guys use this site as their chat board. We don't consider anyone guests, everyone is family. Good luck in your collecting and see you around here. Also, if there is anything I can ever help with just give me a virtual shout and I will do my best. take care now!! And here is one of my favorite Tigers cards....

Old 03-31-2012, 06:36 AM
Jeff P

Welcome Glenn!

I can probably help you with football as I have a LOT of doubles from the 70s. I upgraded most of my sets over time but kept all of the originals. Some are in decent shape but others are definitely Tiptons.

I do have doubles of the Terry Bradshaw rookie you are looking for. Will also look through my older sets to see if I have any doubles of Lions that you need. Drop me a line when you have a minute.

jeff
Old 03-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default So something you should know about this Scottish guy...

Yep, don't be fooled by that modest introduction above.
This Scottish guy collects old cardboard pictures of old men, many of them are deceased!
He also listens to funny music which appears to cater to audiphiles who care about music,lyrics and not pop record sales.
He also is fanatical about baseball, football and hockey despite having no teams within 3000 miles of himself.
And he's generous with sending cards to other collectors just because they need them.
Yep, this dude's a real sop...beware good guys like this who will probably contribute with a level-headed attitude and demeanor

Oh, and hi Glenn!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Glenn

@ Familytoad.......
Hey!! I resemble that remark!! And there was me thinking I could slink off and make other friends outside of OBC. Foiled again!!

@ Leon
That Cobb card is fantastic!