NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default Card restored......... Wow !

Posted By: ScottIngold

I saw this on another message board and thought since this has come up before it would make for an interesting topic.

http://64.177.202.231/frame32.htm

Old 05-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Amazing and disturbing at the same time.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

a pretty pp job. The break crease is clearly evident. Can't see anyone with any knowledge falling for this card as original and unalterd.

Old 05-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: drc

With damage that severe, restoration will almost always be visble to the naked eye. With an item torn in two, this Mantle is as good a restoration as you'll see.

Many of the top conservators, like those who work for museums, are amongst the most learned at identifying and dating paper and photographic processes, as they have to know what something is before they can conserve it. Their opinions on age and authenticity is worth listening to.

Old 05-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

I can see it also,but a novice wouldn't.

Old 05-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

In my opinion, the problem isn't if you can see where the card was torn or not, the problem comes with a shady seller. The seller could say that area is a crease and somebody would pay big dollars for the card.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The corners are more disturbing to me than the fixed tear. I would have fixed the tear myself if I owned it, because it should always be visible. But fixing the corners is where is went too far in my opinion.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William

A guy I sold cards to in the past, which I haven't seen in a few years or so, owned this card. He tore it trying to get it out of a PSA holder.

I saw this card in person after the repair and it looked absolutely ridiculous up close. The tear repair is very evident and only a complete novice wouldn't reconize it as a repaired tear.

The corners were more laughable. I don't know what was use to build the corners up, but that was the toughest, most rigid cardboard I have ever seen... almost metallic. He sold it on EBAY shortly after for $2 to $3K if I remember correctly. He even ran it on EBAY before he had it restored and was in two pieces and had a $1,000 bid on it.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I still don't get why people are so eager to crack and resubmit versus crossover or regrade. This is a perfect example where $50 to $100 on such a high priced card could have saved thousands. I just don't get it. Then again, you've got to be a moron to tear that card up cracking it out. Even a 5 year could get it out without tearing it.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

that woman must had been really mad at the hubby to do
that to the card. Bad boy or she wunt dun it !

Old 05-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: wayne

Would PSA, GAI, or SGC go ahead and grade this puppy?