NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-25-2017, 03:55 PM

Default What is the most rare vintage baseball autograph?

is there any vintage players that did not or rarely signed autographs? Which is the most difficult autographs to find?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:01 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck9788 View Post
is there any vintage players that did not or rarely signed autographs? Which is the most difficult autographs to find?
Guys who died early are tougher to find autographs of, and the longer ago they lived, the rarer they tend to be. I'm not an autograph guy, but I understand that Addie Joss is very tough, with only a couple of autographs known. 19th century HOFers are going to be tough too, especially those who died young such as Kelly and Radbourn.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Jason Seidl

somewhere out there are a few items I signed as batboy and one ball I signed for a little girl in college! Now those would be rare! LOL
Old 10-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Barry Sloate

HOFer George Stacey Davis is extremely rare.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:18 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Not an autograph guy but King Kelly, Addie Joss, Rube Waddell, Ed Delahanty, Ross Youngs all would have to be at or near the top of the list in terms of difficult signatures to find an authentic example of - that doesn't factor in Negro league members, many of whom I am sure are almost impossible to find.

M101-6 Felix Mendelsohn (any)
1929 Kashin 5x7 Premiums
N172 Old Judge Portraits
Any 1939 Ted Williams cards
1939 Exhibits Lou Gehrig

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972

Last edited by the-illini; 10-25-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:21 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

I think your question would be very tough to answer. I would suppose there are numerous guys that played ball that didn't get asked for their autograph all that often. I have a Charlie Deal card being authenticated right now, I wouldn't think there are many of those floating about. I also have a Claude Berry auto, again, I wouldn't expect to see many of those. I also posted a T4 Obak (well, part of one anyway) that has Doc Moskiman written on the front, I have asked around, but no one has anything to compare it to for me to see if he wrote it or not. So there could be a ton of guys that just didn't get asked or were not that great and their auto wasn't kept, and would therefore be rare.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Bry@n

Lots of good names mentioned thus far. I think Joe Jackson makes the list of difficult signatures.

I am not really an autograph collector, but my toughest is Carl Lundgren (died 1934), which is posted in another thread.

Last edited by Jobu; 10-25-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:48 PM
D@ve Se@born

Default Rare Autographs

In terms of rare autographs on baseball cards, I am aware of a Hugh Duffy signed N300 Mayo. I was the underbidder to an N54 board member a number of years ago. I can't imagine there's many of those floating around.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

I always thought Rube Foster was tough. Addie Joss too although I am not an autograph guy.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:16 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Lots of good names mentioned thus far. I think Joe Jackson makes the list of difficult signatures.

I am not really an autograph collector, but my toughest is Carl Lundgren (died 1934), which is posted in another thread.
That is the name that came to mind when I saw the title. I'm sure there are plenty of others but I think he's the biggest name who's almost impossible to find. I heard it was because he was illiterate and didn't want or really even know how to sign.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80