NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-07-2017, 06:53 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Autographed/Signed Run

Unsure this is the right section, I assume it is, but is there anyone that’s doing an autographed run on a specific player? I collect Brooks Robinson items and some Orioles memorabilia items that I can display, but I’ve started on a little side project where I’m picking up signed cards of Brooks’ from his playing days. I’m sure I have a few stashed somewhere that I’ve picked up over the years, but thought it would be a fun project. Seeing if anyone else has some input/advice on a project like this?

I’m unsure if your familiar with Brooks signing habits, but he pretty much signs anything and everything. The one thing I’m finding though is it is very tough to find one on a decent looking card with a nice autograph. The other thing I guess I should mention is that I’d like to get them in pen. So, it’s likely going to be a bit tougher to complete. My thought is once I’m done with that I go get the sharpie ones. What do you think?!?

Last edited by Mark70Z; 10-07-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:47 AM
Mike Navarro

If I were you, I'd buy the cards I wanted signed and send them to him (11320 John Carroll Rd. Owings Mills, MD 21117) with a donation, instructions on how you want them signed, enclose a specific pen if that is important to you and save all the time that an afternarket chase would take you.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:09 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I'm somewhat casually working on a Willie Stargell signed card run.

More difficult than you would think.

Tom C
Old 10-07-2017, 08:20 AM
Todd Tobias

I've done several signed player runs, though all of ,mine are 1960s football. I agree with Mike in that if Robinson is such a willing signer, then try and tackle them in the way that Mike suggests. That way you are pretty much guaranteed a quality end product. If you pick them up on the fly, then you will ultimately have mixed ink signatures, and have to "settle" on card condition when you finally find a signed example of some of his more difficult issues (1967 Topps).

You can see some of my signed player runs by scrolling down to the bottom of the link below and clicking on the player collections.

http://talesfromtheamericanfootballl...ing-card-sets/
Old 10-07-2017, 09:07 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Signed run

Thanks for your guys input and suggestions/recommendations. Here’s my issue with sending in cards and have Brooks sign and return TTM. Brooks is 80 years old and understandably his signature is not going to be the same as it was back in the day. I’d prefer to have cards signed with his vintage signature. Since he’s the only MLB player that I actively collect I have quite the accumulation of Brooks signed items and more are of the modern variety. I still may do that, send a few in, and see how it turns out. I have the cards already so it won’t hurt to give it a try. Thanks for the address Mike; I’ve never done TTM before.

Tom - would love to see what you have of Stargell; he’s got one of those classic signature styles.

Todd - those are some awesome signed cards!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Mike Navarro

Mark,

If you've never done TTM before, make sure you include a package to ship your cards back to you in, and affix return postage on it. You want to make it as simple on the player signing as possible. I believe he charges $10 per card for TTM.

Good luck and have fun

Mike
Old 10-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Curt

These old threads kind of suck when all the pictures have been removed, but I discussed Topps runs before and did have a nice start to a Brooks run as well. In fact, over time, I have come close or completed quite a few complete runs of fan favorites. Once I get close, I feel it is almost necessary to complete it for the fun of it.

Sadly, I am missing several key cards to complete some of my more favorite runs. These would mainly be team collections. One I thought I would have done by now is the 78 Topps Dodger cards, but thanks to Ed Goodson's signing habits, that one remains incomplete still.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=232053
Old 10-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Curt

I sent out a few earlier this year and one was to Bobby Doerr. He is a signing machine, but at 98, there were certainly more risks with potential damage to the card, poor signature and the unthinkable...he passes away.

I also prefer nicer cards when I do send in my few requests and had previously sent a 41 Play Ball and a 49 Bowman. This last time it was a 51 Topps Blue Back, which adds to the stress of sending it off under these conditions. It came back fast and looked great!

I don't think I will try it, but have a 50 Drake that would look fantastic, but only if signed in one of those metallic (gold, silver) paint pens. I also don't have the card itself, but would love to add a signed 38 Goudey too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Thanks for your guys input and suggestions/recommendations. Here’s my issue with sending in cards and have Brooks sign and return TTM. Brooks is 80 years old and understandably his signature is not going to be the same as it was back in the day. I’d prefer to have cards signed with his vintage signature. Since he’s the only MLB player that I actively collect I have quite the accumulation of Brooks signed items and more are of the modern variety. I still may do that, send a few in, and see how it turns out. I have the cards already so it won’t hurt to give it a try. Thanks for the address Mike; I’ve never done TTM before.

Tom - would love to see what you have of Stargell; he’s got one of those classic signature styles.

Todd - those are some awesome signed cards!
Old 10-07-2017, 12:34 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Curt,

If you look at the thread that you linked from last year you’re the one who started me thinking about a Brooks run (just look at my responses to your Brooks auto’s). Since all of those pictures are no longer showing do you mind posting your Brooksie run here so it can be viewed once again?!? Possibly the Garvey as well! 😃
Old 10-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Curt

I'll have to see if I kept the Garvey scan. I have so many Garvey scans/photos that it is hard to find any specific one (need to organize better).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BR 1_zpsz3xqx855.jpg (81.2 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg BR 2_zps79in6alq.jpg (80.5 KB, 426 views)
Old 10-07-2017, 02:42 PM
Curt

Garvey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garvey 1_zps5e2vwxzf.jpg (82.5 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg Garvey 2_zpsuv0fhxtj.jpg (83.3 KB, 287 views)
Old 10-07-2017, 04:41 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks run

Curt,

My favorite of yours is the ‘63 Topps. Like the way Brooks autographed that card. There’s one on eBay, with a very nice signature, but the card looks to be dirty or has some type of markings on the front. Man, you just have a few more to go to complete.

While all those Garvey’s are nice the ‘71 is off the charts! Great looking card and autograph.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Curt

Maybe I should try to send my 67 to Brooks. I probably wouldn't pay the premium to buy a signed one already. Hate to risk loss, but might be worth it to get one signed.

The others are probably easy enough to find, just not high enough on the priority list. Too much to buy, too little time and money!

As for the Garvey sigs, I like the one on the 72. Less sloppy than most of the others.

Last edited by mrmopar; 10-07-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:29 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Maybe I should try to send my 67 to Brooks. I probably wouldn't pay the premium to buy a signed one already. Hate to risk loss, but might be worth it to get one signed.

The others are probably easy enough to find, just not high enough on the priority list. Too much to buy, too little time and money!

As for the Garvey sigs, I like the one on the 72. Less sloppy than most of the others.
Let me know what you ultimately do on the ‘67; that’s a toughie I can already tell by how few are listed for sale.

My problem is when I start something like this I need to stop myself since I don’t need them all at once and I really don’t want to settle for something that I don’t really like that much. Don’t really want to upgrade in the future...

I really like your Garvey ‘72 as well since it’s a great auto and this is one of my favorite sets/designs. Since your a Garvey collector do you try to upgrade on the ones that aren’t the best?
Old 10-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Curt

I am not actively looking for upgrades, but if something catches my eye, I might go for it. Garvey used to have a really nice signature, but now it is mostly sloppy. I hate that he signs up the side of a card rather than across the middle and often I see them signed from top to bottom, which bothers me more than bottom to top.

I decided to check eBay for the missing cards and snagged a 65T, so just need 66, 67 & 72. All that were listed in those years (if any) were too pricey for my taste. I am not sure if I have a raw 66, but maybe for $30, I can complete the run directly through Brooks.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Sean Brennan

this might be a bit off but I started going for a complete run of Monty Python cards back in 1995 and managed to get every card in the set signed that had one of the 5 living members. I still cant believe i accomplished thispython cards ALLTOGETHER ready!.jpg

Last edited by milkit1; 10-08-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:48 PM
Curt

That is cool.

I am not much for non-sport cards any more, but had a bunch growing up. I have always been a big fan of Magnum PI. The only cards were an early 80s Donruss set. I have the set and an unopened box, but never thought to collect signatures until fairly recently.

I am trying to get signatures (not on the cards per se, but that is a bonus if I find them) of all of the main cast, the major reoccurring characters, key characters to the show but not necessarily frequent appearances and some of the more memorable episode characters. Sadly, many of them have died by now and autographs from several I still seek seem to be either scarce or nobody wants to sell any of them.

I think one I probably will never find is a frequent character who never did much of anything else in film/tv but that show. Gillian Dobb, who starred as Agatha Chumley, a friend of Jonathan Higgins. She died in 2001.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:14 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Monty Python

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
this might be a bit off but I started going for a complete run of Monty Python cards back in 1995 and managed to get every card in the set signed that had one of the 5 living members. I still cant believe i accomplished this
Sean,

Can you give me a bit of detail on the set and how you went about getting the autographs? I don’t really collect any non sports items currently so I’m not familiar with a Monty Python set.

Thanks for sharing.

”And now for something completely different”...
Old 10-09-2017, 04:31 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Magnum

This piece popped in my head when you mentioned a favorite show of yours for some unknown reason...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84CA543C-7CE8-47F0-AAC2-D2E32E3B2E62.jpg (13.8 KB, 209 views)
Old 10-14-2017, 04:59 AM
M@rk Comer

Default 1976 Topps

First one down; 1976 Topps. I really don’t care if the Brooks card is slabbed or not. I’m just currently looking for a nice pen autograph on a decent looking card.

I’m sure the problem I’m eventually going to have is I’d like them to be uniform so if I purchase some entombed I may just break them out; who knows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC361F24-F739-484F-91BA-1536E7A80E94.jpg (12.4 KB, 179 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Sean Brennan

Quote:
Sean,

Can you give me a bit of detail on the set and how you went about getting the autographs? I don’t really collect any non sports items currently so I’m not familiar with a Monty Python set.

Thanks for sharing.

”And now for something completely different”...
Yeah the set was produced by Cornerstone in 1995. I started around then getting them signed. All 5 signed off and on ttm. I was able to get all 5 in person as well plus I enlisted grapher help. I ended up with 110 autographed.
I'm currently working on the holy grail set and have about half of it signed as well. It's exhausting work!

Last edited by milkit1; 10-16-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:03 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
Yeah the set was produced by Cornerstone in 1995. I started around then getting them signed. All 5 signed off and on ttm. I was able to get all 5 in person as well plus I enlisted grapher help. I ended up with 110 autographed.

I'm currently working on the holy grail set and have about half of it signed as well. It's exhausting work!
Thanks for the information on the set. When I was younger me and my dad would watch MP Flying Circus together. I guess we had the same sense of humor; my mom just didn’t get it. Both have since passed, but I still have fun memories.

Is there anywhere that you post pictures of your MP collection? Would really like to see the cards up close. Can’t really get a good view from the other pic you posted.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:51 AM
Sean Brennan

Here is some of my Python collection. I actually have more signed cards from the flying circus set that i havent scanned. i also have over half of the Holy Grail set signed as well. I figure I must have about 70 John Cleese autographs lol. The one page that is scanned is Graham Chapman's notes for King Arthur prior to shooting the Holy Grail along with a sort of coa from Eric Idle via Twitter. Sure love collecting the Pythons!

cards 1.jpg

cards 2.jpg

cards 3.jpg

cards 4.jpg

cards 5.jpg

cards 6.jpg

cards 7.jpg

cards 8.jpg

cards 9.jpg

dolls complete.jpg

grial fully signed 8x12.jpg

lumberjack 45.JPG

graham notes 1.jpg

graham notes 2.jpg

signed 45.JPG

eric idle coa.jpg
Old 10-19-2017, 05:43 PM
M@rk Comer

Default MP

“LOVE” the Monty Python signed cards/pieces and the Chapman’s King Authur notes. Awesome collection you have going there. Again one of my favorites growing up and MP and the HG is still one of my all time favorite movies.

I know I started this thread for a run of auto’s, but what’s your favorite MP skit?

Also, thanks for posting the cards up close so I could get a better view.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:54 AM
M@rk Comer

Default 1977 Brooks

Another Brooksie down. Thanks Ted!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08131ED5-9DD9-4663-8529-49B146C7A3BD.jpg (13.8 KB, 156 views)
Old 10-21-2017, 06:57 PM
Sean Brennan

Quote:
“LOVE” the Monty Python signed cards/pieces and the Chapman’s King Authur notes. Awesome collection you have going there. Again one of my favorites growing up and MP and the HG is still one of my all time favorite movies.

I know I started this thread for a run of auto’s, but what’s your favorite MP skit?

Also, thanks for posting the cards up close so I could get a better view.
Thanks! I have gotten extremely lucky with the Pythons. Besides having the two records signed by all 6 I have at least a dozen other items signed by the 5 plus the two signed cards sets. Also I have been lucky enough to meet the 5 in person. They used to all be really sweet but the last few years has made Cleese and Palin very cynical. Palin now goes out of his way (see attachments) in person to sign over faces (and sometimes over autographs). Cleese rarely signs in person and is picky about it (some things he wont sign and often he insists on personalizing). Still, for the most part they were very good signers for a long period of time
I would say my all-time favorite thing of theirs is the "Biggus Dickus" scene from The Life of Brian. When Palin tries to make the Centurion laugh and it cracks me up no end!

dead parrot finished.jpg

lumberjack signed by 4.jpg

Last edited by milkit1; 10-21-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:26 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Python

Those are awesome items! Do you know why they’ve gotten rather cynical? Haven’t been in the loop with what’s been going on with them in quite some time.

My favorite from a movie would have to be the peasant sketch from the HG. There’s been so many good ones, but that’s likely my fav. Really likes the ministry of silly walks from the show. My son had a poster of this in his room growing up. He loved the humor as well.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:52 AM
Sean Brennan

Quote:
Those are awesome items! Do you know why they’ve gotten rather cynical? Haven’t been in the loop with what’s been going on with them in quite some time.

My favorite from a movie would have to be the peasant sketch from the HG. There’s been so many good ones, but that’s likely my fav. Really likes the ministry of silly walks from the show. My son had a poster of this in his room growing up. He loved the humor as well.
I think its due to ebay. I have paid a lot of graphers to help me out and heard some horror stories about some of these graphers and how they act. I saw a video of graphers getting Idle in NYC and it was so awkward. Idle is trying to be pleasant and they keep shoving pictures literally in his face. A nearby security guard is getting pissed cause people are pushing, etc.
terry Jones always seemed sweet so its even more sad that he has dementia. I met him at his last signing in May 2016 not knowing his condition and it was very sad. he pretty much could not talk and was very confused about what to write. However a grapher I know saw him last week in Englad and he did sign for people. One got a "Jones terry" autograph but at least its nice to see he can still sign.
Thats great your son likes them. Mine are just now discovering them too! A few other off my all-time faves are:
Confuse-a-cat
Argument
The killer rabbit from HG
Old 10-28-2017, 10:51 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Another pickup; 1973 Topps. The ‘73 is one of my favorite Brooks cards since it shows him fielding, but tough for a pen auto due to the background. This ones not too bad; thanks Brandon for the deal extended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AD53ED02-1BCC-405E-93E8-CD580DB89937.jpg (11.9 KB, 108 views)
Old 11-03-2017, 05:46 PM
M@rk Comer

Default 1974

The 1974 is a toughie in that the signature is tough to see in pen because of the background and it’s just a head shot. The one I picked up is decent and was relatively inexpensive, but I may upgrade if a better, bolder auto comes along. I don’t think it shows in the picture, but the signature is a little light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0F7B01A1-A54F-44D0-B046-70A53C605BEB.jpg (12.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 05-06-2018, 08:34 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson signed run - PEN

I’ve come to a bit of a standstill in my Brooks Robinson signed run. There a few cards listed out there that I’m still missing, but if I picked them up I’d have to upgrade and I’m trying not to do anymore of that. Is there anywhere else besides eBay that I can look for these autos?

Here’s the one’s I still need:

1957 - should have picked up the one that was on eBay for a while, but was a bit high in price. Looking back I probably should have bit the bullet prior to it being sold.

1961 - tough to find with the black background.

1963 - I’ve seen a lot in sharpie, but want a nice one in pen. Preferably not up/down on the card.

1978 - there’s a lot out there in pen, but every one I have seen is light or I don’t like how he signed the card.

I have picked up some of his other, non-regular issue cards, but don’t really consider them as part of the run, but if they come along and are nice I’ll pick them up as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’d like to finish this and not give up on completing this thing...

Last edited by Mark70Z; 05-06-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Bob Andrews

Wish I could help Mark. I have a couple but they wouldn't do you any good...pen signed '59 team card (came from a 50 cent box and looks the part LOL), a couple of regular base cards not on your want list, etc. I look at a lot of Brooks cards so I'll keep an eye out.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:27 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Bob,

Appreciate the help with looking. I’m pretty much only looking on eBay, so if you see any in some other venue please drop me a line. When I do a side project I do become a tad impatient and start to settle for what’s out there and then ultimately try and upgrade. I’m trying not to do that with this project (even though I have already) and also not give up on it. Guess I need to place in my mind that it’s a LONG TERM project; we’ll see how that works out.