NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Default Card Stores and the Internet

Posted By: Bill

This is becoming very typical. Peter C. posts a thread, the usual suspects flock to it and discuss how outrageous the thread it. Yeah, haven't seen all this before.

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Bill, I know you mean well but please appreciate that the 'usual suspects' is everyone on the board but you.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Bill, I don't think I'm alone in this opinion; In a sick, twisted way, I find these threads annoying but amusing. Not for the subject but the clever and comedic responses. And if Peter welcomes the critiques (Peter, the Dangerfield of VBC seems to thrive)... Other than taking up a line in a bulletin board, What harm is there. Peter Chao, Thanks for stirring the pot.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

I agree, Steve. Peter's threads get a lot of attention and posts, whatever subjectively determined merit one attributes to the topic.

To add: You're not annoying to me Peter.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Chris, I hear you about Illinois' fortunes. I have been strongly rooting for them since Self's departure as I believed that Kansas was an inferior job. PS: Remember Richard Keene? I think that was a recruiting battle between Duke and Illinois. Scheyer and Chris Collins I suppose as well. I've been an Illinois fan since the 80s as they always had very hard playing, hard rebounding teams. I was always amazed when Duke beat them because other than Brand's Sophomore year Duke was not a very tough team inside - although we didn't play Illinois that year if I recall.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

Have seen quite a few people defend Peter on here before. Yet the same people who apparently have nothing else going on are the ones who post repeatedly in his threads knocking him. And yes, even in the precious "on topic" threads.

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Bland

Jeff,

Richard Keene - thats a name from the past! I do remember him quite well. I worked for the men's basketball team at Illinois when I was a student there, and it was during Keene's years as an Illini. I dont know why he didnt turn out to be a better player. He would do things in practice that would literally make your jaw drop. People around here compared his passing ability to Maravich, and while I never saw the Pistol play, I have never seen anyone on any level make some of the plays Keene could make (mostly in practice though )

I knew Duke would handle us this year because our talent level is just abysmal. Weber is a hell of an X's and O's coach but he couldnt sell water in the Sahara, and as a result we have no talent to compete with a team like Duke. A lot of Illini fans have begun to grumble about whether he is the right man for the job...

Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I am pretty sure Peter knows by know that threads he starts (LIKE THIS VERY ONE) - are borderline off topic (or just plain off topic) and will get certain responses.

I will go onto say that I have a feeling (due to the sheer number of these posts) that this is a purposeful occurance.

The 'usual suspects' understand this as well.

The 'defenders' are the only ones who many times seem to miss that point.

Its all good.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Lee,

It's interesting that your post was one of the few that was actually responsive to my actual post. You then tell me that you ran a hobby store before and my post was on topic.

In the same post you call me a dunce and you are applying a higher standard to my posts. I appreciate thay you are straightforward.

But guys why do you continue to apply a higher standard to my posts? And even if you apply the higher standard to my post, haven't I met the standard since my post is on topic. Also, I've already told you that I'm a newbie to vintage collecting.

Isn't it simply better to ignore me if your not interested in the topic?

Peter C.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

Josh, Time Out sounds like a great idea. Anyway, if the New Yorkers get to have non-ending posts about steakhouses, we can talk about fried chicken in Chapel Hill. Did you ever order the "Bucket of Bones" or something like that? That was the dare food in high school at 3 in the morning: for like a buck and a quarter you could get a bucket of all the discarded bones from the chicken breast sandwiches they made. It was clearly the best deal in town. I do still think that Mama Dip's has superior chicken and Sunrise drive through has better biscuits, but you mention Time Out, and I'm getting really hungry just thinking about it.

-Seth B.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Seth,
I agree 100%..... and Sunrise had much bigger biscuits....But they didn't have Billy Ray or a bag of Bones.. Be well Brian

PS Hectors late night was better than both.... Double Cheeseburgers on Pita with Chili.... heaven smile...

PS I think MA D stole her chicken recipe from my Grandma, but I can't prove it... Either way the best fried chicken in the world...

Old 12-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

I hate to sound ignorant and show my age, but is Hector's still around in CH? I used to end up there after a night of drinking every time.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Hi Jeff,
It's still there, but on Henderson street... The original is now a coffee shop which should be a crime... Be well Brian

PS Nice win today.... Davidson will beat a lot of good teams...

Old 12-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Brian, Davidson is tough -- what about Dell Curry's kid? Why on earth didn't Duke or UNC grab him? I've never seen a kid shoot 3 pointers off the wrong foot -- and go in so consistently.

I think Duke was exposed today for what they are: a good team with a lot of 'good' players but not great. Singler and Henderson are very good but not elite (Singler not yet at least). I have to say that I enjoyed UNC-Ky today: what a joy it is when a Duke fan can have a guarantee that either UNC or Ky will lose.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Hi Jeff,
I don't think either team had a shot at Curry, as he was groomed to stay around town and light it up... He's not Dell, but his jumper is pretty sweet... and will hurt a lot of teams. I would hate to play these boys in the NCAA... It's also nice to be on a board where every Carolina fan doesn't HATE Dook.... Be well Brian

PS I wasn't speaking for me.....

Old 12-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Ha! Of course not, Brian. You can't truly be a fan of either school and also like the other, though I do have to say that as it's been 17 years since I've graduated I can't say that I have nearly the same hate that I once did (in fact I actually like Hansbrough as a player/person but I'll deny it off this board). One more minor secret: as a kid growing up, one of my alltime favorite college players was Al Wood.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Hi Jeff.
I don't blame you.... Al Wood had the sweetest 15 ft jumper in the world...Just ask Ralph.....(Sampson)... Be well Brian

How can he score 39 points in one game.... all net....

PS I only pull for Duke when they play the Russians... just like you...

But, don't sell Dook short, they will end up in the top 10 all year, with a good chance at the final four if they win the ACC... But, they will probably have to beat THE Heels first...

Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I just don't see Duke better than 9-7 or 10-6 in the ACC. They're just not much better than last year though getting rid of that stiff in the middle did help.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Hi Jeff,
I hope you are right, but I think they are better than last year...

Kyle and Gerald make them tougher if they continue to improve...

Give me a call if you make it to NC. Be well Brian

PS Are the twins sleeping well???

Old 12-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Brian, I'm dying to get down there for a game; haven't been there since my kids were born. They were great sleepers until we got them beds and they figured out quickly that they could leave the room and come into ours'. At 2 am. And 4 am. Now they're letting us sleep until 6 am which is very kind of them. I never dreamed that sleeping until 7 am on a Saturday could be such a gift.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Hi Jeff,
I understand.... Reverse the locks on the doors and put camera's in there rooms and you are home free... My kids know if they wake me up before 7:30 they are toast... Be well Brian..

Come on down... and we'll show you a good NC goodtime.....

Old 12-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Brian, I tried that suggestion on the wife and she nearly castrated me. I then suggested a gate in front of the door -- same response. I suggested then that she be the one to deal with them in the middle of the night which seemed appropriate under the circumstances.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Hi Jeff,
Bring your lovely bride with you and I will have my wife chat with her... then everyone will be happy... Sleep well Brian

PS It helps to take them to Biscuitville in the morning if they are quiet...

Old 12-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

What is this Chatline???

Answer Peter's question dammit!

---------> Note Winking Smiley

Old 12-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Brian and I mercifully hijacked the thread to topics including sleepless nights, ACC basketball and my possible castration. I'm sure many would think this was an improvement.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

IMNSHO, best discussion on a Peter Chaos thread yet! (insert smiley)

Old 12-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Seth,

Ive had many a "bucket of bones". You remember the name correctly, but not the price. You could actually get a full bucket for under a buck if I remember correctly - perfect for those nights that you used up all your cash at the bar.

Brian,

In the TO vs. Hectors battle, I personally liked TO better - I guess the giant cockroaches at Hectors scared me a little. Nevertheless, a double cheeseburger on pita was very tasty.

Jeff,

To add to Brian's answer regarding Hectors, one reason it moved is because the original was destroyed by a fire if Im not mistaken. I just cant recall if it moved before it reopened or reopened and then moved.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Dan,

Thanks for the concern. I suppose the answer is let's not make a big deal out of this, that's acceptable.

Peter C.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Hi Dan,
Sorry, I've never hijacked one of Peter's threads before.... and probably won't again...smiley..

Be well Brian

PS I didn't answer the question, because it had already been answered too many times above. Bad idea for card shops, good idea for Book stores.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

>>>How about a combination baseball card store and brothel? You don't see those every day.<<<

I know this reply is late in the thread but your idea won't work.
Too much f#%king overheaed

Old 12-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Well, it's only a theoretical business. I don't think it will happen.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

barry, what do you mean? i'm starting to look for spaces for us to lease...

Old 12-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

and I have a few weeks of field research planned - to 'research' the competition.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Peter C., If only you had a clue. You have became a joke on this board and you don't get it.

Barry, I think you need to open up and have Peter C. as your first customer maybe than he can find a forum in that field or better yet start his own.

Lee

Old 12-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Lee,

But you guys don't understand I don't mind being the butt of jokes. If it isn't me it would be somebody else. I'm taking the flak for all the shy people that don't want to post. Explain to me why somebody would lurk for 4 years before the started posting? Does it really take 4 years to figure out the informal rules that are applied every day?

Look what's the worst thing that could happen to me? I could get banned from Net54. My wife would love it. Then I would have nothing better to do than work 60 hour weeks and we can move to Beverly Hills.

Peter C.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Peter, are you asking to be banned? Are you saying you started this thread to deflect all the abuse that we pile onto the shy posters?

Did you even think about the question you posed before you posted it? Really? Does it even make sense that a card store owner would provide internet access for customers so they could buy cards cheaper than they can get from the store owner?

I'd like to think that as a graduate of UC Berkley you would be a little more analytical in your thought process, but I just don't know....are you trolling? Are you conducting a sociology experiment?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Peter, two very serious misconceptions of yours: 1) that if you didn't post someone else would get the abuse/attention you so richly and happily deserve and want; and 2) that you'd be capable of generating more income if you didn't spend all your time providing us with your revolutionary ideas.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

Better watch Jeff.

Peter will move to Manhattan and start stealing your clients.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

Sorry......

Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The differences between Peter C (hi Peter) and the few people that have been banned are:

1. He will quit (slow down) if I ask him too.
2. He is not mean spirited.
3. He doesn't attack folks.

On the flip side I do read every single post in every single thread so I understand ALL of the sentiments towards him. Honestly, at this very moment I am neutral, but do like him.

Back to the initial question. On the very surface the idea makes a lot of business sense. (never thought I would say that did you?). From being in business myself I know the way to make money is to attract people. My restaurant debacle, and other ventures, have proven this out. When you have folks in your establishment there is at least a "chance" of them spending money. Minus the internet sales for a brick and mortar store, or catalog (if there is one), then you have no chance of generating revenue if no one is there. At least the internet terminals would draw folks in. Once in then you have a chance to "sell" them....Maybe you just got in some new wiz bang, gotta have it gizmo, but with no one in the store, there is no one to buy it. Also, once in the store maybe you could have some food and beverage to sell? Bottom line is that in a brick and mortar business you have to have customers come in the door (minus those other things mentioned) to make money. I have seen worse ideas than Peter's. regards

Old 12-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Well, I guess my business idea could work. With Joe testing the competition's product, he'll get us some important statistical data for sure.

Peter- just out of curiosity, why don't you mind being the butt of everyone's jokes? I would personally be mortified if I were in a place where people were making fun of me, and would certainly leave.

Wouldn't it be better to be respected than to be ridiculed?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator

It is a terrible business idea.
Plain and simple.

Yes - more people in your store is a good thing...
(nobody is arguing against that)
most retailers handle this by celebrity appearances, promotional events, sales, and such.
NOT by giving customers opportunity to buy from the competition.

Oh, and I agree with your points about Peter. I do not dislike him - and would be happy to buy him a beer at the National.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I should have mentioned that I do think his idea would need tweaking....but on the surface, no, it's not a bad idea, at least to me. More people, more revenue...maybe the internet terminals would have some type of gimmick tied to the brick and mortar where folks could win prizes and slightly gamble, somehow? People love to gamble (not me, but my better half does)....So you get them into the store with a terminal to look at cards....then you parlay that into something else?? I don't know if it would work but I really have seen much worse ideas work....Who ever thought that you could sell a $5 cup of coffee when you can go across the street to a gas station and get 95% of the same thing for .99 ?? take care

Old 12-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

As far as I can tell in my now somewhat limited time I spend in my local card shop is that it has already turned into a gambling parlor. People paying $5-$100 for a pack of cards hoping to pull an autograph or 1/1 card of some type. The rest of the stuff in the pack?? Just filler.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Leon,

I appreciate you standing up for me. However, I do think a different standard is being applied to me. If somebody else had posted this topic, it would have died after 5 posts like it should have.

I may not be on the cutting edge of this hobby like some of you are but I do have confidence in my ideas.

The thing is I like my local card store in San Jose and I would hate to have card stores die out.

Peter C.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Leon,

I appreciate you standing up for me. However, I do think a different standard is being applied to me. If somebody else had posted this topic, it would have died after 5 posts like it should have.

I may not be on the cutting edge of this hobby like some of you are but I do have confidence in my ideas.

The thing is I like my local card store in San Jose and I would hate to have card stores die out.

Peter C.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

its hard to use the coffee shop as an anology.

That is a consumable product.

You could buy a $3 steak and a $50 steak.
A $1 bottle of wine and $50 bottle of wine.
The same for coffee, burgers, etc.

But - If you walk into Peter Chao's Card Shop -
or as I like to call it "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"....
you might pass on the cards he has as you see the same or different ones right there to distract your wallet.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

I wonder when Sam's club will put in internet kiosks with a direct link to Costco's website? That'd be a great idea wouldn't it? I mean someone might buy a cup of coffee while they're surfing the web.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Leon,
Not being rude how could you even entertain that thought?
His idea would need a little tweaking to work? Maybe thats why your business didnt work with that kind of thought process. First why would people go to a CARD STORE to get internet access? You can go to the public library for that matter. Second how many card stores "brick and mortar" do you think exist in any one town. Let alone a small town. I dont even want to get into this as a business discussion because the thought of it is just to foolish. The bottom line here as always Peter C posts up another gem of a question the post goes on and on about nothing . People get angry,them people come to Peter Cs rescue and the foolish post goes on and on for 200 threads. Go back and look at this one how many are really about what the topic is all about? 20 or so? I know you like Peter and you continue to state he isnt a mean spirited person but really Leon you as the moderator should know the post has nothing to do with pre war cards! But yet you allow it all the time to continue. All I ever see about Peter Cs posts is a way for people to BLOW OFF a little steam and use Peter as the valve. In context his posts are really worthless other than that. He himself states he wants to be banned. A man with at least his education should realize some of his questions are just plain stupid. As I stated before he never offers up one scan,of a card ,glove,pin,etc. NOTHING always an excuse my scanner is bad! Come on Peter your a lawyer dont be so cheap and buy one! As Lee stated he has become the bigest joke around here but he himself states he doesnt care. Time to do something about that Leon.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Attention is vital. If you're not getting positive's then negative's will suffice.