NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default initial reaction to these auction final prices...?

Posted By: J.McMurry

The following prices are from a recent auction of autographed memorabilia.
Judging from the final prices, whats your initial reaction to the authenticity and / or auction house???

Ty Cobb signed bat $2,800

Ruth / Gehrig baseball $1,150

walter johnson photo $400

Joe Tinker ss baseball $700

KiKi Cuyler ss baseball $400

Maris / Mantle baseball $460

500 HR ball (11 sigs) $318

Jeter / A.Rod bat $220

Old 02-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I would say "Not Authentic" and that whoever authenticated them has ZERO credibility (based upon those prices).

Do I win?

Old 02-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

sure isn't mastro

Old 02-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

My initial reaction is "not authentic". What kind of condition were these in. A Ruth/Gehrig ball with signatures that rate a 1 would sell for about that price. If you can read these signatures fairly well, something is wrong.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

This group does use an "authenticater"(sic?) for their vintage stuff. one more clue, they have a huge spread in SCD almost every issue.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Was that Coach's Corner?

Old 02-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Well, umm, ah,.......BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

I'm guessing, but appears to be prices from a Coaches Corner Auction. Thats about what their lots go for.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: shellyjaffe

I would guess it came from coaches corner. I would also bet that the authenticator on most of those items was Morales. I would also bet that I couldn't sell them any where else but on coaches corner. Im not saying that there not authentic. I am just saying they would not sell at Mastros, Rorbert Edwards or Lelands.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Shelly,

Whats the story on Morales? They hype him like he's God, but I've never heard of him until he showed up in their ads.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

not to get them at those prices...

Old 02-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Administrator

He is the New Donald Frangipani. He never met autograph he didn't like. He is or was a Secret Service Agent who took a course and now he is an expert. I would love to know just where he got his exemplars to be able to say that some of those items mentioned above are authentic.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Administrator

yeah, Frangiapani, I was trying to think of his name earlier.

when operation Bullpen first broke, SCD made the bold statement that NONE of their advertisers sold fake items, Three pages after that I'm looking at a CC auction Ad. Shortly thereafter, Frangiapani's name is all over the hobby as trouble, but CC refers to an item in one of their auction ads as
"authenticated by Donald Frangiapani, the best in the business." ........
and SCD's biggest advertiser just keeps 'em coming.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Here are a few discripitons of Christopher Morales. Renowed authenticator Secert Service Agent and Colledge Proffesor. Highly-qualified, The popular. I know that after reading those discriptions I will buy buy buy.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RobertEdwardAuctions

He is more like the old Don Frangiapani. Frangiapani and Morales are (or were) partners. According to Morrales' resume, he is "Partner in Frangiapani and Morales Forensic Investigations and All City Investigations, New York, NY and Washington, D.C....1995 to present".

See this link and access the PDF with Christopher Morales' resume:

http://www.rs-sportscollectibles.com/auti1.html

It's a small world.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

I'm surprised to hear this guy didn't work at AAU

Old 02-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Morales has only been a forensic (and I use those words with little or no respect) expert for about a year. I don't think he is partners with the Donald any longer. It is a shame that these guys can't be touched by the FBI. I have had many talks with Tim Fiztsimmons about the so called Forensic Experts. His answer is that you would have to prove that they knew what they where authenticating was phony. Coaches Corner is doing what it has to do to be able to advertise and sell in SCD.They where told to get a respected authenticator or a Forensic expert and that is what they did. Lee if I am wrong please come on here and say so.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Just read Morales' resume. I'm impressed. If I need a secret service man to investigate atrocities in central America, I know who to call. Seems to me that A secret service agent looking for forgeries, would only be an expert in the signatures of the U.S. Presidents that appear on printed money.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

I gave up my subscription to SCD quite a while ago. I don't think it is worth the subscription price anymore. When they KNOW and continually allow items that are in question, to be advertised well they aren't gonna get my forty buck anymore.
I love those auction results. The minute I saw the first post in this thread it was an easy answer to the question.
----

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

They say they have 15,000 bidders and these are the best prices they can get?

I let my subscription run out (not because I don't like the news, but Richard hit the nail on the head...it's only about 70 pages now) but I still have some old SCD's laying around. I grabbed at random two issues and here are the highlights (I just typed the baseballs) from several auctions that took place in 2002 by Coach's Corner. Note, only a hand full of these listings listed an 'authenticator' but a few of them had Frank Garo of William Tell Research as the 'man'.

February 8, 2002: 1919 Black Sox team signed ball (bidding starts at $300), 1932 Yankees team signed ball, Babe Ruth single signed ball, Lou Gehrig single signed ball, Walter Johnson single signed, Christy Mathewson single signed, Ty Cobb signed baseball bat, Marilyn Monroe single signed baseball, Cy Young single signed ball, Jim Bottomley single signed ball, Jimmie Foxx single signed ball, Roberto Clemente single signed ball, Joe Tinker single signed ball, John McGraw single signed ball, Martin Luther King Jr. single signed ball, William Taft single signed ball, John Wayne single signed ball, Abbott and Costello signed ball, Chief Bender single signed ball , Hal Chase single signed ball and 2000 other items.

March 7th, 2002: Walter Johnson GU signed cap, Babe Ruth single signed ball, Babe Ruth / Lou Gehrig signed ball, Oscar Charleston single signed ball, Ty Cobb single signed ball, Martin Dihingo single signed ball, Waler Johnson single signed ball, Tony Lazzeri single signed ball, Bob Shawkey single signed ball, Jim Morrison (yes, the Lizard king and former front man of the Doors) single signed ball, John F. Kennedy single signed ball, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez signed ball, George Harrison signed ball, Lou Gehrig signed bat, Pablo Picasso singled signed ball, Hack Wilson and Ki Ki Cuyler signed ball, Mel Ott signed ball, John Evers single signed ball, John McGraw (again) single signed ball, Nap Lajoie single signed ball, ANOTHER Tony Lazzeri signed ball, ANOTHER Ty Cobb single signed ball, ANOTHER Walter Johnson single signed ball and 2000 other items.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Shhhhhhh, keep that on the down low about Morrison. He IS still alive and can get me all the signed balls I want. He's in cognito as a garbage man in my neighborhood, and is currently negotiating a HUGE signing show with a big dealer in Moonville, SC. Dont jinks it for him!

Old 02-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Administrator

But Mother Teresa, the Pope, the Beatles, 3 Stooges, President Roosevelt, and more, they are all still alive and available to sign for only a selected few.

-----------

Old 02-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

sort of . They physically walk the earth, but creatively, not so much. That said, if you ever have the chance to go to one of Ringo's all star rock shows, do it. The man obviously just likes to sit back and jam and the whole show has a feel of him and his "mates" having fun rather than a pompous rock god gracing us with his presence. One of the most enjoyable concerts I've ever seen.

There is a pisspotfull of autographed material every time in the coach's corner auction and I have zero interest in any of it.

The more I learn of this area of endeavor, the more I like the fact that memorabilia has never appealed to me like cards. I can count the number of purchased rather than self-procured autographed sports memorabilia items I have on one hand. One of Miner Brown's hands

Old 02-27-2005, 04:39 AM
Administrator

I can understand what you are saying about autographs, but in baseball collecting its to each his own. Though I do have some cards, it is definitely autographs that appeal to me. Can't explain it, don't understand, I ain't never felt that way about cards . Whose song am I paraphrasing?
That said, I have been discovering on this board that the card market has plenty to worry about too . Until I became a regular here, I had no idea that the problems in cards were so plentiful. Trimming, bleaching, stain removal, fake cards being doctored up. Unfortunately there are posts on this board asking the regulars if this or that is actually real. Makes it sound like the autograph hobby .
But what fun would collecting be without some crooked people trying to fleece us ?? .

-----------

Old 02-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

But I got the vast majority myself. Being in L.A. and having had some family connections to the movie industry when I was in school, I got to hang out and scrounge star autographs and I got the benefit of attending lots of autograph shows in the infancy of the hobby, so I got most of my autographs in person and for free or very cheaply, or from people "inside" the industry. Some favorites acquired myself or from the "inside" include:

Gene Kelly
Sylvester Stallone
Gene Hackman
Johnny Carson
Cheech & Chong
Roger Moore
Shawn Green
Don Newcombe
Vin Scully