NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Put Simply, his accent occurred at the same time Televisions became more common in the average household. Thus, he became the hero of hoards of 'Baby-Boomers'.
I thought he had a pretty regular voice.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:28 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I see what you did there...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Oops! Very Funny.

At least I didn't say ass scent...whew, now that would have been worse.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-08-2018, 05:34 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

What is the obsession with Mantle? Let's see....He was only 5'10 170 lbs., and could hit a baseball 500 feet. He was also the fastest player in the game, and lived a lifestyle that people only dreamed about.....Yea, what's the big deal? Oh, by the way, he could get any woman he wanted!!

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-08-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
What is the obsession with Mantle? He was only 5'10 170 lbs., and could hit a baseball 500 feet. He was also the fastest player in the game, and lived a lifestyle that people only dreamed about.....Yea, what's the big deal?

One of the highlights, IMO, in the Ken Burn's Doc. was an infield play where Mickey was flying down the first base line...faster than I could imagine! A REAL WOW! moment!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-08-2018, 05:59 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
What is the obsession with Mantle? Let's see....He was only 5'10 170 lbs., and could hit a baseball 500 feet. He was also the fastest player in the game, and lived a lifestyle that people only dreamed about.....Yea, what's the big deal? Oh, by the way, he could get any woman he wanted!!

LOL-He was 5'11'' and 195lbs, but don't let that get in the way of a good story. He had all the talent in the world. However, as great as he was, he could have been better if he only took care of himself. That is the real tragedy of Mantle. I hired Mantle for a customer dinner in 1992. Till he got a few drinks in him he was a sullen guy. After a few drinks he was great.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
LOL-He was 5'11'' and 195lbs, but don't let that get in the way of a good story. He had all the talent in the world. However, as great as he was, he could have been better if he only took care of himself. That is the real tragedy of Mantle. I hired Mantle for a customer dinner in 1992. Till he got a few drinks in him he was a sullen guy. After a few drinks he was great.
As he supposedly said, if I had known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
As he supposedly said, if I had known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Funny, I'm feeling the same way these days.

But, I'm a year younger (than he was) and my knees are still good...

Last edited by clydepepper; 12-08-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:32 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Wonder what Ruth would have done then?? 900 HR's?? Jimmie Foxx, 700 HR's?

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-08-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:12 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Well, he was from eastern Oklahoma ....
Old 02-15-2019, 12:10 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I had a Little League coach in 1971 that had been a roadie for Elvis. He used to tell me stories about Elvis and how he was the only person he'd ever met that just "lit up a room". Never quite understood until I met Mick. He was larger than life and could turn men of any age in to 8 year old boys. Every time I had the chance to see him at a show was a good experience...not so with Mays. Every interaction with Mays was like going to the dentist for a root canal. He would have a line around the block of people that were all very nice and respectful to him, yet he was a total prick to each and every one. The only other player to give him a run for his money in that regard is Pete Rose.

Last edited by mr2686; 02-15-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:39 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Mickey Mantle is the best of all time IMO.... 5'11 inches tall, maybe weighing 180 lbs....Was the fastest to first base, and could hit a baseball 500 feet. In addition to his baseball skills, women loved him, men wanted to be with him.....I ask you, what did Ruth have over that??
Old 02-15-2019, 07:10 PM
Rich

DiMaggio could be... interesting... at card shows, as well. Not rude to fans, usually, but not friendly, either.

Back in 1985, I saw that DiMaggio was coming to sign at a card show near me. I was an artist, so I did an 11 x 14 pen and ink wash drawing of DiMaggio that was a large portrait along with a smaller action shot of him swinging the bat to the side of the portrait. I get to the show and there's a line snaking around the hall. There's DiMaggio, impeccably dressed in a three-piece suit and tie, sitting in the center of a six-foot table. There's a guy on his left and a guy on his right. The guy on the left would take the item from the person in line, put it in front of DiMaggio and DiMaggio, without looking up, would sign the item. Then the guy on the right would pick up the item and hand it back to it's owner.

I'm watching as I'm in the line approaching and DiMaggio never looked up, never made eye contact, never spoke to anyone. No personalization, just a fast, clockwork-like repetition. Finally, I get to the head of the line. I hand my drawing, which is on thick board, to the guy on the left, who puts it down in front of DiMaggio.

DiMaggio starts to bring his pen over to sign and does a double take. He picks up the drawing and stares at it. He looks up at me and says, "What is this?" I answer, "I drew that of you." He says, "You drew this?" I answered, "I did." He gives it another look and says, "Not bad," signs it, shakes my hand and hands it back to me. Completely cut out the guy on the right, who I have to say, looked a little hurt.

For the rest of the show, as I visited dealers at their tables, I kept glancing at DiMaggio and as far as I could see, he never broke the routine or spoke to anyone again. Because I had a unique piece that he had never seen before, it caused him to break the routine. He was so used to seeing the same photos of himself or balls or cards. Still a great memory.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:33 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
DiMaggio could be... interesting... at card shows, as well. Not rude to fans, usually, but not friendly, either.

Back in 1985, I saw that DiMaggio was coming to sign at a card show near me. I was an artist, so I did an 11 x 14 pen and ink wash drawing of DiMaggio that was a large portrait along with a smaller action shot of him swinging the bat to the side of the portrait. I get to the show and there's a line snaking around the hall. There's DiMaggio, impeccably dressed in a three-piece suit and tie, sitting in the center of a six-foot table. There's a guy on his left and a guy on his right. The guy on the left would take the item from the person in line, put it in front of DiMaggio and DiMaggio, without looking up, would sign the item. Then the guy on the right would pick up the item and hand it back to it's owner.

I'm watching as I'm in the line approaching and DiMaggio never looked up, never made eye contact, never spoke to anyone. No personalization, just a fast, clockwork-like repetition. Finally, I get to the head of the line. I hand my drawing, which is on thick board, to the guy on the left, who puts it down in front of DiMaggio.

DiMaggio starts to bring his pen over to sign and does a double take. He picks up the drawing and stares at it. He looks up at me and says, "What is this?" I answer, "I drew that of you." He says, "You drew this?" I answered, "I did." He gives it another look and says, "Not bad," signs it, shakes my hand and hands it back to me. Completely cut out the guy on the right, who I have to say, looked a little hurt.

For the rest of the show, as I visited dealers at their tables, I kept glancing at DiMaggio and as far as I could see, he never broke the routine or spoke to anyone again. Because I had a unique piece that he had never seen before, it caused him to break the routine. He was so used to seeing the same photos of himself or balls or cards. Still a great memory.
Thats an amazing story. Much like the guys who tell stories of shaking Sinatra's hand.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

This comment is why this site needs a thumbs up to click.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:50 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Even us devote Redsox fans from my father on down have always been a Mantle fan.. Met him in Memphis at a show in '89 while stationed at Blytheville AFB. I'll never forget that day..
Old 02-17-2019, 02:31 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I had a Little League coach in 1971 that had been a roadie for Elvis. He used to tell me stories about Elvis and how he was the only person he'd ever met that just "lit up a room". Never quite understood until I met Mick. He was larger than life and could turn men of any age in to 8 year old boys. Every time I had the chance to see him at a show was a good experience...not so with Mays. Every interaction with Mays was like going to the dentist for a root canal. He would have a line around the block of people that were all very nice and respectful to him, yet he was a total prick to each and every one. The only other player to give him a run for his money in that regard is Pete Rose.
I have seen Mays 3-4 times and never had a problem with him. One has to be quick on their feet and make sure the item is right side up and that he is using the correct pen but otherwise no problems. I agree on Rose, but he has mellowed since the first time I saw him (shortly after the ban). I swear to the stars, Rose was sitting there with both forearms on the table, his hit king hat on his head, looking as if he was was going to kick the arse of anyone who approached the table for an autograph. But the king of unpleasantness is Reggie Jackson with Barry Bonds not too far behind.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:26 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default HOF of churlishness - Reggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
I have seen Mays 3-4 times and never had a problem with him. One has to be quick on their feet and make sure the item is right side up and that he is using the correct pen but otherwise no problems. I agree on Rose, but he has mellowed since the first time I saw him (shortly after the ban). I swear to the stars, Rose was sitting there with both forearms on the table, his hit king hat on his head, looking as if he was was going to kick the arse of anyone who approached the table for an autograph. But the king of unpleasantness is Reggie Jackson with Barry Bonds not too far behind.
I second the sentiments on Reggie. Fans are not his favorite