NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2018, 09:07 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Auction houses..make money but the owners are they "smart"

Mile high, lelands, scp, goldin, lotg
All ending 22nd 23rd and 24th
5 auctions in 3 days
Talk about not maximizing profits
Old 03-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are other smaller ones ending now too. It is a lot to digest. It seems like a fairly healthy market right now. Putting simple math numbers to it (and I am imeninently aware of costs and expenses), it doesn't look like most are losing money.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:30 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

I’m guessing a good deal of profits are made by bidders who have the disposal income to bid strong in multiple auctions at the same time.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Auctions

I said theyre making money, no doubt,
But not possible that they are maximizing profits
Old 03-24-2018, 09:54 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Keep in mind Larry that closing dates are set well in advance without beforehand knowledge of each individual AH's planned closing dates.

That said, even with the number of closings this week, bidding for us has been crazy strong! Will be fun to watch tonight.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:07 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Or the consignors are collectors, can see how much cash they are going to receive, and are also bidding at the same time.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:36 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

There are so many auctions throughout the year. Even with auction house cooperation I am not sure there is an ability to space them out much more than they already are. Cannot see that prices would be even higher if LOTG, Leland's and Mile High were spaced a week apart. Based on what I have seen prices have not been hurt in the least. I think the hobby has a great deal of tolerance for what is being offered.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:58 AM
K3v1n Stru55

I do not think that having this number of medium sized auctions closing at the same time is a problem. The total is probably not much different than one of REA’s or Heritage’s premier events.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:08 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Keep in mind Larry that closing dates are set well in advance without beforehand knowledge of each individual AH's planned closing dates.
Those were my thoughts.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:39 AM

FWIW, as a consignor of a top 3 lot in LOTG, I am very happy with the action the item has seen so far. And as a bidder on other lots, there's some really strong competition. So, I don't think the fact that several auctions are ending within the same week is hurting anything...one just needs to strategize when things close, and keep an eye on watched items, etc. It's manageable; in fact, it's quite exciting.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 03-24-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:43 PM
Joshua

The fact that there is so many auction houses show there is adequate demand and supply in our industry. Like someone else said it’s healthy. I love window shopping!
Old 03-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Just the average schmo's.
If they were smart, they be selling t-shirts and coffee mugs with their names on it and among other things.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Just the average schmo's.
If they were smart, they be selling t-shirts and coffee mugs with their names on it and among other things.
Yes!! I'd go for a LOTG coffee cup
Old 03-24-2018, 03:57 PM
Hal T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
With that being said, I'm sure it's no coincidence that several AH closing dates are all within one week of MLB opening day.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:30 PM
Val Kehl

There also seems to be a plethora of auctions in the fall, around the time of the MLB playoffs.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:43 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Well, out of all the auctions this week, only one (Lelands) had an item that I just had to have, and could afford. I won it. And, I won it at 9:30 PM Central (nice and early, so I didn't have to stay up all night)!!!!!

There were many other items that for me, fall into the "nice to have", or are items that I'm looking for, but aren't sufficiently tough to have to spring for them now.

So it worked out great for me

Now, if I just could've afforded that T206 Plank and/or '33 Lajoie..........

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 03-24-2018, 09:15 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I think it is great that the hobby is doing well and that auctions seem to be doing well (I have a couple of items ending tonight, and definitely could use some late bidding on my items). At the same time, I don't think there's any way that having all the auctions ending the same time can't be at least a bit of a negative.

I know that I haven't been able to give all the catalogs enough attention, so there are probably items of interest that I've missed. I know I don't have near the highest pockets, but on the items I bid on I tend to go strong, and I've definitely had to pick and choose which items to focus on.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:39 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I’m guessing a good deal of profits are made by bidders who have the disposal income to bid strong in multiple auctions at the same time.
I bid hard between two of the auctions ($40k+ each), and went in moderately on a few others ($5k+ each) because I thought the multiple overlapping end dates would mean market saturation and lower prices. Lower prices on the key cards did not materialize; each auction was getting very healthy bids pretty much across the board.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:50 AM
Barry Sloate

I haven't found any bargains.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:13 AM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I haven't found any bargains.
I agree--the bargains are increasingly scarce, specifically in the T206 realm.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Sterling closes on Thursday night the same day as Mile High, it was one of the smaller ones offered lately but the last day was just as strong as the bigger auctions Sterling has offered.

As Jeff P. said, Sterling sets the auction dates in advance so if any other auctions finish around that time it is coincidence.

Thanks to all who support Sterling and allow me to have a job in a hobby I love,

Lee Behrens
320-219-1372
Old 03-26-2018, 01:15 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sports Auctions View Post
Sterling closes on Thursday night the same day as Mile High, it was one of the smaller ones offered lately but the last day was just as strong as the bigger auctions Sterling has offered.

As Jeff P. said, Sterling sets the auction dates in advance so if any other auctions finish around that time it is coincidence.

Thanks to all who support Sterling and allow me to have a job in a hobby I love,

Lee Behrens
320-219-1372
Has your research shown more last day bidding ending on Thursday as opposed to Saturday or Sunday? I would think more people would be free on the weekends.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:09 AM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Has your research shown more last day bidding ending on Thursday as opposed to Saturday or Sunday? I would think more people would be free on the weekends.
Jesse, When I purchased Sterling it was set with Thursday closings. The only time I have not closed on a Thursdays is between Christmas and New Years and I have not seen any reflection that the weekend closing bumps up bidding but very tough to tell.

Thursday's seem to work great for the winners that like to have their winnings right away. They normally have them Monday morning.

Lee

Last edited by Sterling Sports Auctions; 03-26-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:55 AM
je.sse @rnot

Thanks for the response Lee. If it's working for you no reason to change I suppose. I just know I sometimes forget about auctions ending during the week, especially if I get stuck at work late out here on the west coast.