NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Daryl

Default Video Games

TV shows, movies and music have been discussed. What about video games? I like anything Nintendo, and enjoy quick games on the iPhone now and then. Any other gamers on here?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Dan Bretta

I was a gamer when I was a lad...started with Pong, graduated to the Atari 2600...got my first computer, a Commodore 64 and would spend hours inserting code from Compute magazine just to play the simple games in the magazine. I think I had almost every single home gaming system that came out in the 1970s-early 90s...I even had a stand-up arcade Donkey Kong in my home which I would play for hours. Now I can hardly stand to play video games at all.

My all time favorite video games
-Donkey Kong (arcade version)
-Adventure (Atari 2600)
-Lode Runner (C64)
-Super Mario 3 (NES)
-Donkey Kong Country (Super Nintendo)

For what it's worth there is a fantastic documentary out about the quest for the high score on Donkey Kong called "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters." I highly recommend it.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Jason Albregts

I'm not much of a gamer now, but I used to love me some "Perfect Dark" on Nintendo 64. I can't remember how many days of my life I lost to that game, but I know it kept track
Old 02-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Daryl

Very cool guys. I grew up in the nintendo era, so I didn't have an Atari or Commodore 64, but I appreciate the vintage stuff. I also remember Perfect Dark, a very cool "sort of sequel" to Goldeneye!

Anyone excited about the upcoming 3DS? 3D without glasses!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Patrick N.

Default Nintendo

Nintendo: GunSmoke, Jackal, Mario 2, Super Dodgeball, Super Tecmo, Contra, Blades of Steel, Kung Fu, Rush N' Attack (must beat the Soviet Union with a butter knife), Baseball Stars (friggin' awesome), Golf, RC Pro-Am, Excitebike, Hockey, Tyson's Punch out, Tennis, TMNT, Ring King!, Mega Mans

Sega Genesis: Herzog Zwei, Spiderman, Super Offroad, Mortal Kombat, Jungle Strike, NBA Jam, Shinobi, Powerball.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Nintendo: GunSmoke, Jackal, Mario 2, Super Dodgeball, Super Tecmo, Contra, Blades of Steel, Kung Fu, Rush N' Attack (must beat the Soviet Union with a butter knife), Baseball Stars (friggin' awesome), Golf, RC Pro-Am, Excitebike, Hockey, Tyson's Punch out, Tennis, TMNT, Ring King!, Mega Mans

Sega Genesis: Herzog Zwei, Spiderman, Super Offroad, Mortal Kombat, Jungle Strike, NBA Jam, Shinobi, Powerball.
Ooooo, Excitebike and Rush N' Attack...two of my favorites.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Rob G.

started on a Commodore 64, but really got into it with nintendo and then a 286 PC. Played a million games, but the favorites off the top of my head are below:

NES/SNES - Tecmo Bowl, Tecmo Super Bowl, Street Fighter 2, Dragon Warrior, Aerobiz, Contra, Mike Tyson Punchout

PC - Airborne Ranger, Railroad Tycoon, Civilization, Master of Orion, Front Page Sports Football Pro, Counterstrike, Age of Empires 2, Risk

XBOX - Madden

Nowadays I'll play the occassional Strat-o-matic game on the computer, or xbox game if I'm at a friends house. Dug out the old NES and SNES for my 2 and 4 yr old kids, but I think it was just an excuse so I could play it
Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Steve Birmingham

I've owned and played most of the home systems up till NES. Plus a few hundred different arcade versions.

I was never much of a fan of the platformer games. And a lot of the computer stuff doesn't do much for me. I just don't type well enough for the seemingly mandatory keyboard controls.

Stuff I like

Defender - Both arcade and 5200
Football on the odyessy II
Asteroids
Computer space- The first commercial coin-op, horrible game but the sense of playing the first game...
Pong- Second coin op, and the one that made all the others possible.
Deathrace
Space invaders
Gorf - Combined the best of several games.

Quantum - really creative for its time

Plus a bunch of others.

Sadly most of what's done today is a handful of the same games with diferent pictures. And they do so little with the memory and processors avaialble. Consider that the classics were less than 16K and often less than 4K with nearly no processor speed to speak of.

There's a bunch of interesting but simple games on this site

Steve B
Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Clayton

Right now I only have the first X-Box,,and don't play very often- but when I do play, I mostly play "Black".....
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Doug C.

I still have a NES and play Mike Tyson's Punch Out nearly on a daily basis. That game never seems to get old (along with many of the other classics for the system).
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Xbox- Frontlines, Fuels of War. Halo (the latest 3 versions) and Odd World- Munch's Odyssey and Stranger.
Also just got the Kinect, it's unbelievable. Certainly gets you off the couch.

iPhone- Words with Friends (scrabble), Angry Birds, and Sporcle all help kill time while waiting for stuff.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I still have a NES and play Mike Tyson's Punch Out nearly on a daily basis.
I don't know why, but this code has stuck with me since I was a kid:

I'm not much of a gamer, but of all the platforms I have used, Baldur's Gate II is an amazing game.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Jim D

I have a ps3, use it very seldom to play Tiger Woods golf. I was an NES champ back in 1988 for Super Mario Bros. Now i suck at video games.of my 6 PS3 games i own, i have never played 3 of them.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carota View Post
I don't know why, but this code has stuck with me since I was a kid:

I'm not much of a gamer, but of all the platforms I have used, Baldur's Gate II is an amazing game.
That's right up there with the famous "up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start" Konami code. That one is so popular it has its own Wikipedia page! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami_Code
Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Johnny S

If I had all the quarters I dropped into Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong,Centipede,ect and what about all the Arcades and how shady they were.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
If I had all the quarters I dropped into Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong,Centipede,ect and what about all the Arcades and how shady they were.
Arcades did look pretty shady back when I was a kid, but I guess as long as they had games you didn't notice. The way some of those places looked I'd probably be afraid to go into them now!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
I have not played a video game since the mid 80's but while in school in the early 80's I could play for hours on 1 quarter of Asteroids. I would have about 60 ships lined up in reserve. Probably put in a few hundred hours on it. I guess there are worse additions
Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Scott

I still miss Earl Weaver Baseball II...preferably played on a 286 Packard Bell !

Tags
video games