NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-15-2013, 09:34 PM
C00per

Default Help with Mordecai Brown Check

I bought this check cheaply, nowhere close to what an endorsed check of Brown's should cost. I just thought it was a neat check from Mordecai Brown! The check writer was a prominent businessman from Lawrenceville during this time and Brown was around town then as well. My questions are: was this a forged signature attempt, or did someone else need to add his name there for banking reasons? Any ideas on what the $1000 was for (was he still involved with the Lawrenceville team at this time)?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img732.jpg (83.3 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg img731.jpg (80.1 KB, 204 views)
Old 06-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Jeff P0tter

Based on the handwriting of the signature, I would say that he had someone else write his name as endorsement. I believe he owned some businesses after he retired and probably had an assistant that would do it for him. No one in banking verifies the signature on an endorsement when being deposited into ones own account, with the slight exception to some government issued checks where a viewed endorsement is required.

Last edited by ATP; 06-15-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-16-2013, 04:15 AM
David Linardy

Default Mordecai

I would have to agree with Jeff... Signature looks to be in another's hand...

but regardless, a very cool item especially if you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for it like this one!

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2008/850.html
Old 06-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I saw that and the other Brown check in the Clean Sweep auction. Did it come with any cert? I thought it mentioned in the listing that Brown signed the check. I thought the listing was odd.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:55 PM
C00per

Default Check

I saw that one also, I bought this one from Small Traditions and was described as signed, but final bid was $75 or so, no one thought it was signed by Brown. The ones in Clean Sweep looked to be from the same group as this one (Small Traditions had several) and someone must have been trying to flip it I guess. It is odd though that the "signature" on the back is signed on top of the clearing house stamp. Makes me think that it is a forger that is not too sure of his work and is trying to put the signature in the busiest part of the check. I was just wondering if that was some kind of old bank book keeping technique to write the recipients name over the stamp, because the cancelled check would have gone to Mr. Young, not Brown, right?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 AM

Default JimStinson

Between 1920-1945 Brown ran a gas station in Terre Haute. Quite a few years back a cache of checks related to this enterprise hit the market. The checks were all endorsed checks not personal checks. There were quite a few and were absorbed quickly into the hobby. Slightly more than half were endorsed by Brown on the portion of the reverse of the check were you would normally endorse a check , the others were endorsed by Brown's wife using his name.
The differences in the signatures were obvious to the semi trained eye. But all that I remember seeing (I'm sure I didn't see ALL of them) but I saw a lot of them. Were signed at the top endorsement portion. Either by Brown himself or the Mrs.
The checks signed by his wife were often mistaken as having been signed by the Hall of Fame pitcher. Once most collectors had figured it out , half checks began to surface with a forged Brown signature on the lower portion of the reverse of the check. What they were doing is cutting the checks signed by Mrs Brown in half and endorsing the bottom portion making it appear as if he himself had endorsed the check.
Authentic Mordecai Brown endorsed checks are NOT rare but his autograph is one of those that has spiked in price in the last several years with prices ranging from $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the seller.