NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Default A newbie autograph ball question

I am new to collecting autographs. I am drawn to, as a lot of collectors are, to signatures on baseballs but I have a few questions I was hoping for some clarity.

I have noticed some browning on slightly older balls in varying degrees. What is it from and how would I protect my collection from getting them or from getting worse?

Also, how much does it affect the value. I'm sure it have to do with the individual collecting as well as the severity and placement of the spotting but does it affect it greatly like centering or worn corners on cards or just a bit?

Thanks in advance for any insight. Any other help would be appreciated in tis new collecting area as well.

Thanks,
Drew

Last edited by almostdone; 06-17-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

The browning is called toning, and it comes from oils from fingers that have touched the ball. The only thing you can do is to make sure it's handled with care from as soon as you get the ball...pre or post sig. Handle by the threads and or use gloves to handle the ball.
Value of the ball would depend on the sigs. I've seen people that wanted full price for toned Mantle balls, but I doubt they get the price since many good ones can be found without toning. Supply and demand is what really drives the price.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 PM

In my experience, the older balls will tone, and the newer ROMLBs seem to have a tendency to get oil spots. Not sure if there is a correlation for sure, but just what I have noticed.

I initially tried to "upgrade" each ball I got if some toning became evident, but then after awhile, I sort of like the look as long as it is evenly toned. As the previous poster said, the value is likely to drop a bit, but it also gives you some leverage for purchases if you dont mind yourself. Just be careful of those selling something as snow white and then you get it and it has toning. I have had about a half a dozen instances of this on ebay.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

I saw the other day a fully toned mantle ball went for $350. I guess some people likes the toned vintage look too.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I don't know if I buy the "finger oils" theory. This doesn't explain why some balls get spotty, some get splotchy, and some just tone into a nice, even cream color.

All balls will eventually tone, I believe. But as for which will turn splotchy, well, that's a crapshoot. I know a lot of people who would pay a lot of money to know which balls do which.

Ken

PS: Despite me disagreeing with the "oily fingers" theory from mr2686, he is 100% correct to always handle the ball by the threads and not the leather.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

I have had boxes of balls from the 70s and 80s that were new in the case and never handled. Some toned a lot, some just spotted, some stayed pretty white, and some turned a nice cream color.

Doesn't matter if the balls are touched or not.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

So does sunlight or humidity have anything to do with it? A friend told me he thought it was because it was not stores properly (ie. in a cardboard box, with out a case in a high humidity area like attic or basement). I really don't know.
The toning doesn't really bother me but I have seen a few where the worst splotches are right over the signature and then it absolutly takes away from the asthetic appeal for me.

Drew
Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

let me clarify...spotty and splotchy are more from the finger oils. Overall toning can be from too much sunlight. I've got almost all of my balls from the 80's that I pretty much handled with great care and keep in UV cases and very very very...did I say very?...very few have splotches or toning of any kind.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I don't know if I buy the "finger oils" theory. This doesn't explain why some balls get spotty, some get splotchy, and some just tone into a nice, even cream color.
Agreed. I do not buy the finger oil theory except in limited cases where someone had REALLY greasy fingers.

In my opinion, toning and/or dark spots are caused by oils and chemicals inside the leather over time. There is nothing you can do about it... luck of the draw.

I have had baseballs purchased and signed at the same time and stored in the same dark, cool closet... ten years later one is toned with dark blotches and the other is a clean even creamy white.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

By the way, humidity and uv rays are both killers for autographed balls. Do whatever you can do to eliminate both.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
So does sunlight or humidity have anything to do with it? A friend told me he thought it was because it was not stores properly (ie. in a cardboard box, with out a case in a high humidity area like attic or basement). I really don't know.
The toning doesn't really bother me but I have seen a few where the worst splotches are right over the signature and then it absolutly takes away from the asthetic appeal for me.

Drew
Certainly hot and humid storage conditions will accelerate aging in about any organic material -- leather or paper.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

So I should take them out of my bathroom window display? Just kidding. All of my collectables are stored in a dark room (no outside light) that is climate controlled. I just hope it enough.
Drew