NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Chris Wood

Default "The House That Ruth Built" 1st Opening Day - April 18, 1923 Yankee Stadium Ad w/Ruth

As a Jays fan, I can respect the Yanks and that's why I have had this in my collection for so long....but I can't keep it forever...'cause.....it's the Yankees!

Full disclosure, as Opening Day is around the corner, I thought the members would enjoy seeing this and I would like to know what to let it go for. If this should be moved to the BST section, Leon, I apologize up front and thank you for your latitude.

Full page from the New York Herald from opening day for Yankee Stadium, including a 10.5 inch x 6 inch ad featuring an image of the Babe with:

"Play Ball" and "If - you enjoy a good baseball yarn that is humorous and accurate too. - Do not take your baseball too seriously but enjoy it every minute. - Like vividly graphic writing by a journalist who sees clear through the score. - If you do - then read W. O. McGeehan's story of the opening game of the new stadium, in the New York Herald to-morrow"

Yankee Stadium officially opened on Wednesday, April 18, 1923, with the Yankees' first home game, against the Boston Red Sox. According to the New York Evening Telegram, "everything smelled of ... fresh paint, fresh plaster and fresh grass". At 3 pm, the composer-conductor John Philip Sousa led the Seventh ("Silk-Stocking") Regiment Band in playing The Star-Spangled Banner. After a parade of the players and dignitaries, Babe Ruth was presented with a case containing a symbolically big bat. New York Governor Al Smith threw out the first pitch directly into the glove of catcher Wally Schang rather than the customary couple of feet wide. The Yankees went on to defeat Ruth's former team, the Boston Red Sox, by a score of 4–1, with Ruth hitting a three-run home run into the right-field stands. Asked later for his opinion of the stadium, he replied, "Some ball yard.

Upon opening, Fred Lieb of the New York Evening Telegram dubbed it "The House That Ruth Built". The Yankees also won their first World Series during the Stadium's inaugural season.

What is a fair price to ask for this pls? Would never want to take advantage of a Yankee fan!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1354.jpg (75.4 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1355.jpg (77.1 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1353.jpg (76.9 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by baseball tourist; 03-22-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Good luck Chris. For the record, a few off topic and/or BST type threads are ok on this side of the board, by good members (no spamming from first time posters), since there aren't as many threads and posts as the home page. Hard to put a value this one. It's one of those items I would try to find the largest audience for (maybe ebay), start low and let her go.....but that's just me and not everyone is as much of a risk taker (which is probably good)...

Last edited by Leon; 03-23-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Good luck Chris. For the record, a few off topic and/or BST type threads are ok on this side of the board, by good members (no spamming from first time posters), since there aren't as many threads and posts as the home page. Hard to put a value this one. It's one of those items I would try to find the largest audience for (maybe ebay), start low and let her go.....but that's just me and not everyone is as much of a risk taker (which is probably good)...
Thanks Leon! I think that EBay might be the way to go with this.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

That's really cool, but I don't think a lot of people would spend too much on the newspaper ad. I think it would look awesome framed and displayed next to an opening day program. I really like old newspapers, but find them impossible to sell for any decent dollar.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:16 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
That's really cool, but I don't think a lot of people would spend too much on the newspaper ad. I think it would look awesome framed and displayed next to an opening day program. I really like old newspapers, but find them impossible to sell for any decent dollar.
Thanks Jason. Agreed, newsprint is tough. Looks great though.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:06 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I think a Yankee fan would get a kick out of that. It may be one of those items that could sell better to a non-collector who happens to be a Yankee fan. Great man-cave type of item for sure.

Here are three glass plate negatives that I have that were taken that same day, April 18, 1923.

Tom C
Old 03-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I think a Yankee fan would get a kick out of that. It may be one of those items that could sell better to a non-collector who happens to be a Yankee fan. Great man-cave type of item for sure.

Here are three glass plate negatives that I have that were taken that same day, April 18, 1923.

Tom C
Very cool Tom!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Chris Wood

Tossed it up on Ebay if anyone is interested. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201559748044?...84.m1555.l2649