NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Chris Wood

Default Set of 3 boxed 19th c. ivory billiard balls - help requested

Really out of my comfort zone here. They look great and are in the original box. Made by the Brunswick-Balke-Collander co. At an antique show and the seller is asking $500 CAD about $380 US. Good buy? Thanks!

Old 04-17-2016, 12:07 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Those are beautifully crafted. And with the original box! Can't imagine many survived like that. But it's outside of my wheelhouse as well, so not sure of the demand or their worth.

Hopefully Carlton will see this and chime in. If anyone here knows the answer, it would be him!

Last edited by perezfan; 04-17-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Rob

Yep, Carlton would be your best bet.

Why would they come in a box of three?
Old 04-17-2016, 02:47 PM

Default Billiards

I believe the game of billiards is played with 3 balls on a table with no pockets. Sam Majors
Old 04-17-2016, 02:58 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Yes English Billiards use three balls but I thought two white and one red not vice versa. I could be wrong though. For some reason that box seems newer than 19th century to me though(maybe its the type of printing or font on the labeling), maybe 1930's ish but again I could be wrong.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 04-17-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:36 PM
Rob

Thanks, Sam and Robert! Always good to learn something.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Joe

Not sure about Canada, but in the US need to be very careful about buying/selling ivory without clear documentation, even if presumed old. There are strict laws and harsh penalties.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Yes English Billiards use three balls but I thought two white and one red not vice versa. I could be wrong though. For some reason that box seems newer than 19th century to me though(maybe its the type of printing or font on the labeling), maybe 1930's ish but again I could be wrong.
I just looked it up....there should be one red ball and either two whites (one marked with a dot) or a white and a yellow. To me, this would be a problem with this offering.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:42 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I know Scott Forrest also is into billiard stuff, so he may be a good one to ask as well.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 04-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Dan Bretta

I gotta think that ~$400 is a steal on those balls. Not exactly sure of the Ivory Laws, but I think it's okay to purchase and sale antique ivory. I think ebay has a complete ban on it altogether though.

Here is a listing with a similar box that sold for $900 just a few years back.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...alke-419115657
Old 04-17-2016, 08:44 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default bought a few sets like this

- three ivory balls and a box - back in the late 1990's early 2000's. Balls appear as they should. The box is different than the ones I purchased in terms of the inner label and think all the ones I bought sported 2 white balls and a red one. Perhaps a marriage of two sets? A bumper game? I would figure actual buy/sell value in most circumstances would be in the 500. - 600.00 range and I suppose that 900.00 on demand wouldn't be that far out of line so many years later as the available supply continues to dwindle. I ran into a few people that expressed their interest in carving them while I was out and about in the general antiquing venues. Sinful to me but...........
I will examine the pix of the box more closely when time permits. I believe Ron Oser is a pool/billiard collector - and a friend here in Florida was one of the larger strictly pool/billiards dealers in the 90's. I'll have to buy him lunch so if I find out anything worthy of sharing - you'll get the bill. He orders TWO complete meals when it's on me and water accompanied by toast points when we pay for ourselves.......
Old 04-17-2016, 09:24 PM
Chris Wood

Thanks everyone. I have some private responses and emails that indicate a much lower value. Confused and thus passing at the stated price (assuming they didn't sell at the the show today).

No need to get into hock over steak and lobster lunches
Old 04-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default from them what suggested much lower values

I'm interested in buying at around 90. a ball should they have them just laying around - more with a good box........ I wish they would have chosen to contribute to the thread as I and/or others might have learned something but glad you had people reach out to you - your post after all