NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Is this a 500HR ball ?

I saw this ball with 24 signatures 23 are 500 Home Run Club members the 24th is Carlos Delgato who finished his career with 473. In my humble opinion this is not a 500 HR ball. I am reminded of a 1998 Yankee bat that I purchased. The bat was a limited edition and very nice but the original owner had Roger Clemens sign it who did not join the Yankees until 1999. I returned the bat. Any thoughts?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Baseball-Sign...4AAOSw3GtZ2QGK
Old 11-29-2017, 02:30 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Yes, but with fake signatures/
Old 11-29-2017, 03:01 PM

What a weird ball. If the signatures aren't authentic, why add Delgado? Oh wait, I see, it was a speculative add.

Last edited by packs; 11-29-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

If you want to give someone the benefit of the doubt, which I realize is not popular in this forum, you could think that a previous owner bought an 11-sig bad ball thinking it was good, then added a bunch of real signatures, and the current owner thinks he has a great ball that he wished didn't have Delgado.

Or you could assume this guy knows the entire sordid history of the ball and is trying to screw someone.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:39 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Yes, that is what happened. I see quite a few balls like this. The original 11 are no good but everything after is OK. People see a cheap 500 HR ball and buy it thinking they are more than half way done the ball. I can only imagine what they had to pay to get the post- Schmidt guys and now the whole thing is probably worthless.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 11-29-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:11 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Well this took a bad turn. Listing said that PDA/DNA had certified the ball and I was more interested in newer autos. BUT no cert is shown and I am no expert but the original 11 look suspect to me.
My original point was with the Delgado added I would no longer classify this as a 500 HR ball.
I have a ball with 16 signatures and echo the point that getting more of the 500 club can be very expensive.
Even though I got the ball from a collector who went to the show and came home with 2 balls and I bought one. My first step was to have PSA certify the original 11 before I started tracking down more signatures. I could have had Miguel Cabrera sign the ball through a friend last year but if he comes up short then I would have a 400 HR ball instead of a 500 HR ball.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:03 PM
Pete Sycks

It's saddens me to see a fake Killebrew, he took such pride in his signature and people who forge it butcher it.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 11-30-2017, 07:23 AM

If all the signatures were authentic I think the Delgado would be a nice bonus for a future collector looking to get a legit nearly complete ball at a discount because of one signature.

I have a Core Four ball I got all the signatures for myself but way back when had the misfortune of adding Jason Giambi to it before the Core Four was a thing. I had simply managed to get Jason Giambi, Jeter, Rivera, and Posada all in the same day at Spring Training. Years later I added Pettitte. Someone will get a nice deal one day.