NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Default Another grading company question...

Posted By: Steve M.

I have 50 to 60 T206's with various degrees of paste residue on the reverses. Sent a real nice Young Portrait to SGC and it came back a 10. So I pretty much have eliminated SGC as the grading company for these cards. I like GAI (though I prefer SGC)and do not like PSA. Can you give me your thoughts as to what I should do with these cards other than keeping them just raw. Where might I get the best results?

Old 07-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: WP

Try Pro if you are looking for the highest grades possible.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

IMO stick with SGC....and concentrate on the card and not the holder....if you are selling the cards then sell the card and not the holder #. I have seen SGC 10's bring big money because the card is one like you have described....One board member here bought quite a few Zeenuts with coupons, from me, that looked nrmt-mt but were were in 20-50 holders due to back residue. They brought ex+ prices...even though the technical grades weren't high.....otherwise, WP is correct...and PRO would be a bad thing......

Old 07-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Administrator

it was returned. So, here is what I was saying:

"Thanks for your input Leon to my post regarding the T206 with paste residue.I agree with you and have just packaged 41 of them up for submission to SGC. Since I am a collector and have no intention of selling the cards it is more important to me to have uniformity with the grading company. With this submission I will have over 200 SGC graded T206.

Again thanks and if I don't speak with you have fun at the national.

Steve Murray"

Old 07-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Steve- I have several M116s with paste and residue (but no missing paper) on the back which came back from SGC as 10s but have exmt fronts. I was just afraid and lazy to soak the cards to remove it and instead had it slabbed. Thought that might be some consolation. GAI is going to do the same as SGC. Who knows with PSA?
Bob

Old 07-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I would try Beckett Vintage Grading for the pastey ones. I just got 8 BVG T206 cards on ebay that were all waaaay overgraded because of paste on the reverse.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Administrator

the only way I have a chance of catching up with you on the SGC Registry is to get them graded by SGC

Old 07-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...to show that I am such a nice guy on the registry, I have agreed to sell you three sweet SGC graded T206 cards. Even though you wound up not wanting the cards, you must know my advice about BVG is right on!

Old 07-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Old 07-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

I accept the general sentement shared by the posters thus far, though I'm not sure I agree - and I'm sure I'll be the only one.

While paper loss removes image or text, and leaves a clearly damaged surface, glue residue where mild is hardly more distracting to my eye than dirt or light ageing or foxing....
Nothing has been removed from the original piece in this instance, and the only addition is one that was completely expected at the time. Being glued into an album was perhaps the MOST likely method of keeping tobacco cards of all shapes, designs and sizes, and I'm not exactly sure why we penalize cards so heavily for the practice. Again, I would emphapsize that glue remnants on the stock - where transparent so as to be able to clearly view the image underneath, and not missing paper/surface - is the only situation I am referring to. Paper added that might come from the album page, and which covers some part of the surface so as to make that section unobservable, has interfered with being able to see the card as it was intended and thus should be heavily graded down for that reason.

So, if the card displays ex-mt or better in all other examinations, I would be more than happy if SGC were to allow a vg/ex, or ex, as a possible grading. A 10, or 20, seems a little ridiculous to me as the other end of grading deliberations.

BVG, in this instance, I feel has the better balanced view, whereas when centering is of issue I tend to feel GAI has the more reasoned approach, and for corners I have no doubt SGC is the most exact and consistent. The whole suface thing I feel is sufficiently grey that all the companies find their own happy understanding - and even we as collectors are far from unanimous on what constitutes the most accurate read. Just MHO.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

GAI is much more reasonable, I believe, when it comes to glue residue on the back.I speak from experience as I just ran into this issue. So if you have a Vg-Ex front but glue residue/small amount of paper loss on back, it would probably grade a 2-2.5. It depends to some extent on the area that is covered by the defect. They put more emphasis on eye appeal, which is the way it should be, in my humble opinion.

I don't get this widespread concept of uniformity within grading companies--mentioned many times on this forum--that is buying the holder, not the card. If you really like a card, buy the card, irrespective of the holder.