NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2018, 08:13 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Default Finding joy and passion in collecting.

I used to have a pretty extensive collection of cards and other memorabilia that could best be described as all over the place. Baseball, basketball, football mostly. It all ended up in some footlockers and forgotten. Then, I read this article about finding the passion in collecting again, and one thing that popped out was to focus on collecting what you love. I'm a huge Atlanta Braves fan, and I have no favorites in any other sports, so I completely culled my collection, sold it off on eBay, traded it off, or dumped it in the trash, and have focused solely on collecting Braves related cards and memorabilia ever since. I can say, without a doubt, it was the best decision I've ever made. I wouldn't say I have the best Braves collection, the most expensive Braves collection, or the most extensive Braves collection, but what I do have I love every piece of it, and I take joy in looking and admiring what I've collected over the years.

If you find yourself without the spark you used to have, or if you've lost that joy, I recommend collecting what you love. You won't regret it.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:37 PM
Derek Granger

Great advice Ryan!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:30 PM
pete ullman

You are enlightened! Once I freed myself from the chains of type collecting...and started collecting cards I love...I became a much happier grump!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_46578_1.jpg (78.2 KB, 506 views)
Old 01-20-2018, 01:29 AM

Ryan, that was well said.

You also have a narrow focus which makes things a lot less overwhelming. Good to hear that you enjoy what you collect.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:52 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Joy in collecting

Ryan,

Glad you found what you really enjoy collecting. My story is very similar to yours so I can definitely relate. Thanks for sharing and hopefully others that don’t get much joy from collecting can find something in the hobby that brings back the joy.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 AM
Steven

Gotta collect on where your psyche is...always.

I think collectors evolve, change focus and all that fun stuff. I can mark my current spot as stage 4 as focus has changed through the 30+ years Ive been doing this. But I have realized simply seeing my cards does a lot to fuel the passion, I love displays. Even though I had to remove my man cave as it became my daughters room, I still look at my cards daily.

I also love having a true focus...I just do. As long as the card makes me feel like a kid again, its all good. Protect your joy...always.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post

I think collectors evolve, change focus and all that fun stuff. I can mark my current spot as stage 4 as focus has changed through the 30+ years Ive been doing this. But I have realized simply seeing my cards does a lot to fuel the passion, I love displays. Even though I had to remove my man cave as it became my daughters room, I still look at my cards daily.

I also love having a true focus...I just do. As long as the card makes me feel like a kid again, its all good. Protect your joy...always.

Perfectly said...100% agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-20-2018, 11:14 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post

Could not agree more. Well said.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:56 PM

Default joy and passion article

Where can I find the aticle that inspired you ?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Chris Counts

I tried to be a set collector, but I couldn't see any logical reason in owning 10 different Wayne Terwilligers or Johnny Klippsteins. So I tried to be a type collector, but I couldn't bring myself to pay big money for rare cards from so many different unattractive black and white sets. So now simply I collect what I like, it works much better ...
Old 01-20-2018, 03:54 PM

A couple years ago I realized that what I love to collect are stories, especially artifacts relating to the complex story of Jackie Robinson. Photo collecting somewhat affordably lends itself to this love. I thank net54 for introducing me to photo collecting.

I love the research and reading that leads to historical lessons of athletic, social, cultural, even religious significance. Or sometimes just to wacky or funny moments. I have a narrow focus with the occasional mission creep for interesting stories.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Ryan, having lived in the suburbs of Atlanta for the past 50 years I have several Braves related odds and ends. Pm me your address and I willl send them to you.
Bruce
Old 01-20-2018, 05:57 PM

Simply awesome!
Old 01-20-2018, 08:48 PM
Ryan Waggoner

I'm really happy to see that so many agree, and I can feel the passion from each of you who shared your own personal stories. To me, this is what collecting is all about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardswin53 View Post
Where can I find the aticle that inspired you ?
I read it over two years ago, lol. I tried to look it up, but for the life of me, I can't find it. If I do, I'll PM it to you. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
Ryan, having lived in the suburbs of Atlanta for the past 50 years I have several Braves related odds and ends. Pm me your address and I willl send them to you.
Bruce
WOW!!!! PM sent! Thank you!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
A couple years ago I realized that what I love to collect are stories, especially artifacts relating to the complex story of Jackie Robinson. Photo collecting somewhat affordably lends itself to this love. I thank net54 for introducing me to photo collecting.

I love the research and reading that leads to historical lessons of athletic, social, cultural, even religious significance. Or sometimes just to wacky or funny moments. I have a narrow focus with the occasional mission creep for interesting stories.
Wow, that sounds like my focus but more eloquently put than I would of. Down to the interest in Jackie Robinson and an interest in interesting stories...

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 01-21-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:45 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Similar journey. In my case, I only buy what will end up on my wall or on my shelf.

For baseball, that means adding only the Ruth and Gehrig I need and possibly swapping a couple tough Aarons like his Lake to Lake into my Aaron frame.

And until I have that kind of cash or a bigger house with more wall, it means I'm mainly trying to scour the Earth for Isaac Newton cards my son and I don't have yet.

The thing is I love it just as much as when I used to buy whatever caught my eye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
I used to have a pretty extensive collection of cards and other memorabilia that could best be described as all over the place. Baseball, basketball, football mostly. It all ended up in some footlockers and forgotten. Then, I read this article about finding the passion in collecting again, and one thing that popped out was to focus on collecting what you love. I'm a huge Atlanta Braves fan, and I have no favorites in any other sports, so I completely culled my collection, sold it off on eBay, traded it off, or dumped it in the trash, and have focused solely on collecting Braves related cards and memorabilia ever since. I can say, without a doubt, it was the best decision I've ever made. I wouldn't say I have the best Braves collection, the most expensive Braves collection, or the most extensive Braves collection, but what I do have I love every piece of it, and I take joy in looking and admiring what I've collected over the years.

If you find yourself without the spark you used to have, or if you've lost that joy, I recommend collecting what you love. You won't regret it.
Collecting what we love....I always go back to type cards I won't be a completist this time but am actually happier and will never forget getting a rare $5k type card for no other reason than I had to have it. I didn't even really care for it. Here is one I didn't have in the first collection so that makes it a little better too. 1929 Tower Theatre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phunc1929towercochrane.jpg (76.8 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-27-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:11 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Collecting what we love....I always go back to type cards I won't be a completist this time but am actually happier and will never forget getting a rare $5k type card for no other reason than I had to have it. I didn't even really care for it. Here is one I didn't have in the first collection so that makes it a little better too. 1929 Tower Theatre.
Yes, the worst is buying something you hate just to have everything. I feel that way about my Hank Aaron SAM bobblehead. (Yes, seriously...that's supposed to look like Hank Aaron!)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-28-2018, 02:35 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It's funny, I'm really into collecting and framing right now. I've been really working on ideas for framing things that you wouldn't normally frame. Something that you wouldn't expect. Like, right now, I'm considering buying PSA 10s of Chipper Jones rookie cards, from all the different makers, and then framing them. I think that would look really cool.

Eventually, I want to dedicate an entire wall towards framed memorabilia; i.e. magazines, cards, pictures, etc. etc. Then I'll have my brother build me a modular bookshelves, of different sizes, and display my collection that way.

I really love hearing what gets people's gears moving. You like to collect type cards. I'm sure it's like an obsession a bit. That feeling you get when you see something that fits your collection, or that feeling you get when you realize you haven't looked something up for a while and you go on the hunt. It's just a feeling that can't be replicated. It's very singular to collectors looking for pieces to add to their collections.