NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2018, 06:25 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Auction question - Own it now option

I wonder if any AH has tried a combination auction / own it now format. List an item with a own it now price of $X, opening bid $Y. Make it so that the own it now only stays active for 24 or 48 hours and that no one can place bids until the buy it now option disappears. Obviously the buy it now price would need to be pretty significant to appease the consignor. In cases where someone wants to pay strong and risk overpaying to lock something up for the certainty of it, I wonder if economically this could work.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 03-12-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:52 AM
Ben North

Not sure if they still do it but eBay used to do something similar. The buy it now option would disappear once someone placed a bid.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:02 AM
Brendan Mullen

I think that defeats the meaning of the word "auction" though...
Old 03-08-2018, 07:29 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Not sure if they still do it but eBay used to do something similar. The buy it now option would disappear once someone placed a bid.
They did, but the opening bid was something absurdly low (ie, 99 cents) so the bidders always bid quickly just to make it disappear. That make work better with a higher opening bid.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:42 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
You can still add the Buy It Now on Ebay, regardless of what the opening bid is. The only requirement is that the Buy It Now price needs to be at least 30% higher than the opening bid.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-12-2018, 02:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

When selling or buying I like seeing a buy it now price even in an auction setting. It might defeat the purpose of an auction but I am not sure that matters if both buyer and seller are happy?

BTW, I am sure I have done an "auction + buy it now" format listing in our BST area, many moons ago.

Last edited by Leon; 03-12-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
When selling or buying I like seeing a buy it now price even in an auction setting. It might defeat the purpose of an auction but I am not sure that matters if both buyer and seller are happy?

BTW, I am sure I have done an "auction + buy it now" format listing in our BST area, many moons ago.
I see it at charity auctions now. Is a bid sheet but if you want it you can just buy it as an option. Works well but maybe more so in a charity context people are just happy to pay a number and get it.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-12-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Nick

Saw an eBay listing last night.

Starting bid $399

Buy It Now $599

So I guess it does happen.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger View Post
Saw an eBay listing last night.

Starting bid $399

Buy It Now $599

So I guess it does happen.
There are millions of those kinds of listings on ebay. My guess is Steve (the original poster) was talking about having the option other places too which makes some sense to me *but maybe not many others.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default wont happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I wonder if any AH has tried a combination auction / own it now format. List an item with a own it now price of $X, opening bid $Y. Make it so that the own it now only stays active for 24 or 48 hours and that no one can place bids until the buy it now option disappears. Obviously the buy it now price would need to be pretty significant to appease the consignor. In cases where someone wants to pay strong and risk overpaying to lock something up for the certainty of it, I wonder if economically this could work.
the Big Auction Houses would never do that , as to require that vast knowledge of valuation for some of the more unique items is not logistically possible, also it leaves the door wide open for possible deliberate low pricing and insider trading , and who ever heard of AH doing anything unethical
the thing is when a scarcer item goes up for auction their estimate of value is sometimes as low as 10% of actual hammer price or even lower , But all the big AH have a large buy it now section .

Last edited by megalimey; 03-13-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Memory Lane was doing “I Own It Now” Auctions for a while. But I think they’ve stopped using that format. Haven’t seen one in a couple years or so.