NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 PM
Damon Hudson

Default Post your best story! The Buy that got away

I'll start this off..

the year was 1990. I was 15, and about 6 months into my first ever job working at a baseball card store in Virginia. The hobby was a boom, and I was helping a new startup card shop in an antique mini mall booth.

I was actually working it by myself on a Sunday when an old guy walked up with a brown paper bag (he was probably 45-50, but old to me). He asked if I could look at his cards and tell him if they were worth anything.

I thought to myself, really? A brown paper bag? Than what I saw astounded me. He laid out on that glass showcase about 300 to 400 t206 cards, the most beautiful cards I've ever seen. Of course being 15, I was shaking...I saw beautiful Cobbs, Youngs, Johnsons, etc. And being a Cubs fan I remember the Tinkers, Evers, Chance..

I honestly choked. Even in 1990, these were worth a small fortune, but before PSA was even a concept..I just loved the color, sharp corners and clean backs. In today's value who knows? Of course I looked for Wagner and Plank, didn't see them.

Knowing I could rip him off, I didn't have the heart to do it..This guy didn't look like he had 2 nickels to rub together or a house to live in. I decided to give him free top loaders & sleeves and told him he had a mini fortune on his hands, as I scrolled down the Beckett Almanac. He actually gave me an Evers in exchange. I cannot recall what I advised him to do, or even come back to sell the cards to the shop owners..I honestly botched it and let them slip away forever!

I often wonder who got them, and how many are graded PSA 8's today!!
Old 01-25-2018, 01:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

My biggest loss was not a card, but when I was in college, I heavily collected the F. Earl Christy college cheerleader postcard sets. Being from Georgia Tech, I knew that he had never done a printed GT item. Well, the Atlanta Toy Museum listed some "overflow" items that they didn't want to store anymore, and one was a hand-painted handkerchief of a college girl twirling a GA TECH pennant. Bid started at $9.99 and with minutes to go, the bids were only at like $70. I had the "luxury" of being in Orlando at the time since I was trying out for College Jeopardy! that day. However, being 20 years ago, we didn't have cellphones with internet or the eBay app.
So I asked my college girlfriend to bid for me up to $300. Hey, I wasn't rich. It ended at $303 or something. I send the buyer (since you could see full usernames back then) an offer of $500 and said once I graduated, I would be able to pay even more. I think I got one message back from him that he wasn't selling at the time, and when I tried emailing the address ten years ago, it bounced. I would pay $1,000 now.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:51 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

I know that I told Leon this story years ago, but...

Sometime during the "rookie craze" of the late 1980s, I haggled with a guy over about 60 1928 Greiner's Bread cards, if memory serves.

However, we couldn't find them in any guides at the time (Yuenglings and Tharps, sure, but NOT Greiner's) and therefore we couldn't agree on price.

He DID sell me the 2 duplicates that he had for what seemed like A LOT then! I think that I paid ~$25 for them!

They were black and white bread cards and the hobby wasn't all the hot for such obscure stuff...

They still are the only 2 that PSA has graded, I think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928 Greiner's.jpg (77.6 KB, 692 views)
File Type: jpg 1928 Greiner's McGraw R.jpg (80.1 KB, 690 views)
Old 01-25-2018, 01:56 PM
Chris Wood

Default Jersey

This one really gnaws at me as I had it my hands and perhaps let it get away. I’ll explain - a Dallas Cowboy’s jersey that I bought for $5 at a second hand shop that was 1970’s vintage and crested and numbered for Roger Staubach.

It had lots of dirt staining and I assumed it was a well worn replica. Especially, as it was a Russell brand jersey and not a Southland brand (which I assumed was the defacto manufacturing company for Cowboy’s game jerseys.)

I hand’t seen a Staubach replica (this predates the throwback jersey craze) and thought it may have some value for a fan to wear and/or get autographed. I listed in on EBay for $19.99 and rec’d zero bids. Then was approached buy an ebayer offering me $500 for it! I explained that it couldn’t be a gamer, but he didn’t back down and we transacted for it.

I did OK of course, but if it could have been a possible gamer it may have been worth many multiples of that $500.

I’m afraid to ask, but could this have been a gamer?

Last edited by baseball tourist; 01-25-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Robert J. Miller

Back in the early 1980's, I had the opportunity to buy a T3 Ty Cobb in unbelievable condition. The guy was asking $1,500.00 but in my early 20's I did not have the cash. It would have graded and 8 EASY!

Another (sort of) was when I was set up at a local show and a kid with his grandfather came up to me and asked my opinion on a trade he was offered. The boy wanted to collect sets and was offered the following sets, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, and a 1963 Fleer for a beautiful 1933 Goudy Babe Ruth Autographed card. My advice to him was NO WAY! I said he should hold onto it for a long time because in the long run it would be worth more. I explained that he could always pick up sets one at a time or piece them together over time. Then I said IF he was going to trade it, I would double the price of the sets he was offered for anything(s) off my table. He never came back to me and I have no idea if he made the other trade.

Bob
Old 01-25-2018, 04:25 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Mine wasn't too long ago, maybe about 10 years. I had taken out an ad in the paper looking for cards. I had a guy call and say he had a shed full of cards. We met early on a July 4 because it was in a shed with no AC.

He had 2-3 pallets of cases of cards. Some several notebooks and then a few boxes of singles. It was all stored just wonderfully. The cases were all wrapped but I could see some were from the 1980s-1990s.

I flipped through a few of the notebooks and saw all sorts of 50s-60s-70s cards. Assuming partial sets, etc. Some of the pages even had 2-3 of the same cards stacked in the same pocket. All looked to be in really good shape and had some pretty big names in them (Mays, Aaron, Rose to name a few). He did tell me there were no Mantle cards because he had another guy buy up all of those a couple of months earlier.

We came to a price agreement ($400 for everything). I was shocked he was willing to go so low. But I told him I didn't have that kind of cash on hand, however, I could have it the next morning when the bank opened. Well he called me that afternoon and said he had talked to his son, and the son had talked him into holding on to all of the cards. So the sale fell through. I"m wondering what would've happened had I had the cash on hand at the moment. I know I'd have had a ton of gradable 50s-60s cards plus a few cases of 1980s-1990s baseball.

Last edited by wdwfan; 01-25-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:27 PM
David M.

Mine was years ago, in the early 1980's. I was told there was a doctor in town that wanted to sell off all of his baseball cards, and he had a bunch of 1950's Topps and Bowman baseball. I went to his house, and sure enough, he had some beautiful cards, but he wanted near full book price for them. Included in the cards he was offering were two copies of the holy grail, the 1952 Topps Mantle! They were both beautiful, and they were each in those 3 inch thick screw downs they used to have for "really good cards". He wanted $1000 each, your choice. Well, I might have been able to scrape together that much for one, but then I would have been completely broke, so I decided to pass. Ouch! I'm sure either one would have easily graded a 6. Sure wish I could go back and rethink that decision!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:46 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

No real story here...I just know that the window of opportunity for me to get a '52 Mantle is WAY...WAY closed!

It definitely got away!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Fred

If you're talking about a guy the said he had some really good stuff, but lied, then I've got a whopper of a story..... CRAZY CANUCK.... anybody remember that asshole.... I know a few board members got burned by that idiot....

Yes, I have a huge regret.... about 1984, someone offered me about (400) T206 cards (had HOF like Matty and others). Cards were in decent shape. I son't remember about the backs... don't even want to say how much it was offered to me for.... puke, blech... my head hurts now....
Old 01-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Chris Counts

When I was a kid in the early 1970s, another kid who lived nearby me had some great cards. He showed them to me a couple times and tempted me with various deals, but he kept backing. After that, he would pass me on his bicycle and yell taunts to me about how he would never trade or sell me his cards. One day he particularly annoyed me with his comments, and I threw my baseball glove at him. My some random chance, the glove stuck in his gears, and his bike was immediately upended. He was literally launched over the handlebars face first onto the pavement. As a result, he got a little banged up, and I probably should have felt some remorse about it. His mom called my mom, but I didn't get in too much trouble. I never did get the cards, though.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:12 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Great stories! Keep them coming. Chris, thanks for the laugh. Awesome story.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:01 PM
Mark Arentsen

Default 1941 Play Ball display box

It's the spring 1978 Chicagoland Sports Collectors Association show at the Hillside Holiday Inn. I'm in college and have $40 to spend. I got there right when they opened the doors and soon after I ran across an empty display box labeled 1941 Play Ball: $35. I thought it was the coolest thing and I deliberated over and over on spending almost all of my money, not realizing at the time the scarcity of such an item. I passed on it and walked away only to come back 5 minutes later, after coming to my senses, to buy it. IT WAS GONE.

Huge regret.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:14 PM
Curt

Unless you had the money to buy them at a fair dealer price (as you were representing a card shop), then it sounds like you did the right thing. I shudder to think that by botching it, you mean you should have cheated the guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonh23 View Post
I honestly botched it and let them slip away forever!
While in college, I was working part time for a guy who owned a shop in the late 90s. The guy was a painter by trade and I think he just enjoyed the gambling aspect. He really didn't know enough about the hobby and opened up too much of his own product and I suspect he eventually sold out or went out of business.

One day I was working the shop and someone brought in a similar stash. It may have been in a paper sack, I really don't remember, but the cards were vintage and nice. I only specifically remember he had several signed 60s Maris cards. I couldn't afford them at the time and the shop owner wouldn't have bought them and he never left enough money in the till to buy anything good even if it was a deal not to be passed up. Did I already say the shop owner had no business sense what so ever?

Never saw the guy or the cards again.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
When I was a kid in the early 1970s, another kid who lived nearby me had some great cards. He showed them to me a couple times and tempted me with various deals, but he kept backing. After that, he would pass me on his bicycle and yell taunts to me about how he would never trade or sell me his cards. One day he particularly annoyed me with his comments, and I threw my baseball glove at him. My some random chance, the glove stuck in his gears, and his bike was immediately upended. He was literally launched over the handlebars face first onto the pavement. As a result, he got a little banged up, and I probably should have felt some remorse about it. His mom called my mom, but I didn't get in too much trouble. I never did get the cards, though.
Thanks for the visual, Chris. VERY funny................
Old 01-26-2018, 04:35 AM
Damon Hudson

good stories, keep them coming..

mrmopar..I botched it in the sense I didn't get the deal done. I should have called for backup.. To my defense I had no phone and no way of calling the owners in, to make things worse I remember my girlfriend and a group of her friends coming over acting loud totally distracting me.

I hope I educated him enough so he didn't get taken. But I'm highly confident that the guy probably gave them away for nothing!
Old 01-26-2018, 08:05 AM
Jonathan Sterling

It was a long time ago I went to what was most likely the first card show in Connecticut. My Dad and I decided I would go right he would go left I had $20-$25 in my pocket but my Dad was there with more. The second table I see a dealer who I knew pretty well in his display ( old school plastic pages designed by stamp dealers on a stand) I see a Topps Dice game Mays and a common. I ask how much he says $100 for the Mays and $60 for the common. I say I will get my Dad go to where he is he is looking at some nice T201's picking out the last couple we need for set. I notice he has an extra Dougherty/ Lord and we agree on $3. We go back to Dice game Table Mays is gone but he says despite offer for common he waited until I got back. So disappointed Mays is gone and seeing two I figure I will get another chance at a hall of Famer so pass on common.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:12 AM
Rob

The buy that got away for me occurred 15 years ago when I sold my Priceline stock when it hit $10 a share.

$1,957 a share as of this morning.

Thanks for asking.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:46 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
The buy that got away for me occurred 15 years ago when I sold my Priceline stock when it hit $10 a share.

$1,957 a share as of this morning.

Thanks for asking.
Ouch - glad to see I have company. Sold my 200 shares of Amazon stock in the 90s when it was in the same $10 range. Now about $1,400 per share. Just your everyday $280K I missed out on - nothing to see here.....
Old 01-26-2018, 09:56 AM
John €ffenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingman59 View Post
It's the spring 1978 Chicagoland Sports Collectors Association show at the Hillside Holiday Inn. I'm in college and have $40 to spend. I got there right when they opened the doors and soon after I ran across an empty display box labeled 1941 Play Ball: $35. I thought it was the coolest thing and I deliberated over and over on spending almost all of my money, not realizing at the time the scarcity of such an item. I passed on it and walked away only to come back 5 minutes later, after coming to my senses, to buy it. IT WAS GONE.

Huge regret.

Was Burleigh Grimes an autograph guest at the show? If so I was there too. I picked up a 1933 Goudey Ruth at the show for $40 and 3/4 of a 1954 Topps for $20.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:02 AM

Lost out on a very low pop T206 on eBay yesterday. Saw it posted with what looked like a reasonable BIN, but went to do a quick check on VCP and the PSA/SGC pop reports. Within five minutes, the card was purchased by someone else. Should have just bought it right away. Sometimes, making the rash purchase is better than doing due diligence!

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 01-26-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Ouch - glad to see I have company. Sold my 200 shares of Amazon stock in the 90s when it was in the same $10 range. Now about $1,400 per share. Just your everyday $280K I missed out on - nothing to see here.....

I remember hearing William Shatner tell Howard Stern he got paid for his commercials in Priceline stock and sold it all when the company briefly tanked only to lose out on something crazy like 10 or so million dollars.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Chris, that story was a scream! Nice going, my friend. Two sides to every story, and the jerk goes and bawls to his mommy about how this bad boy caused this horrible accident. "And I did'n do nuttin' to him!", I can just hear him whine.

You know, Chris, maybe it's just as well that you didn't get that bully's cards. I have found if I have a very bad memory associated with an object, I don't want the object anymore. Whatever you might have gotten from the boy, over time you probably would not have treasured them, all because it came from that jerk.

My wretched " the one that got away" was at the big 1974 Midwest Card Collectors Convention in Troy, Michigan. I saw a 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams at a dealer's table in EX-MT condition. He wanted twenty bucks. I asked him to save it for me while I went to my hotel room to get the twenty. Upon my return, he had just sold it to another collector. Classic example of why teens (I was 19) hate adults sometimes. The sad story with all its details became chapter 12 of my book on regionals, Never Cheaper By the Dozen. Yes, in the chapter I answer the obvious question, "WELL, STUPID, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, GOING DOWN TO THE CONVENTION WITHOUT YOUR MONEY?*%@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I recall, you love regionals, Chirs, so I thought you would appreciate and empathize with this succinct version of my yarn. I quoted you in my book, too!

----Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-26-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:30 AM
Rob

Quote:
It was my first time buying stock. Had just gotten married and didn't have a lot of money. My wife and I decided to invest some of our wedding money. Only about $2,000. We picked four stocks based on an article she read in the Sunday paper. Priceline was one. The others were tech stocks or something along those lines. I remember Sun Microsystems. Can't remember the other two. Those three all went in the tank pretty quickly so we decided to sell our 100 shares of Priceline to recoup what we could. We weren't into losing money at that point and pulled the plug quickly.

Could've been a great beginners luck story. Instead it's a great "one that got away" story.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

It was the mid-nineties and I was at the National, being held that year in Atlanta. I was perusing the wares on offer when I spotted Kevin Struss at the SportsCards Plus table and went over to say hello, which I did. Kevin is an old friend. There in his case was a T206 with the familiar orange background. Yes, it was him, Honus himself, positioned handsomely in a PSA 4 holder. While in a state of disbelief, I asked Kevin if I could hold it and he happily obliged. So I can truthfully say I have held the Holy Grail. But then things got interesting. He explained that the card belonged to Mastro who had purchased it from an older woman in NJ and and was looking for a quick sale.
The more we talked the more I sensed that perhaps some kind of deal could be struck. Memory fades, but I believe he was willing to consider cash and trade (I had a stack of beautiful just graded '14 Cracker Jacks, including Jackson. to offer up). To make a long story short, we reached a number of around, astonishingly, of $150,000, which would have been the deal of the century. At the time, I was a dealer, Full Count Baseball Cards and to complete this surreal transaction would have taken all my cash and some star cards. I just couldn't do it and walked away, regretting it to this day. Of course, I still wonder who the lucky person was who captured Honus.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:47 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

One summer in 1966-67 when I was in my early-mid teens, I spent a few summer weeks sorting tons of cards at Goldfadden's house. Cards were all 50s-60s. Commons, semi-stars and stars who would go on to become HOFers. I was nonplussed, as I pretty much already had just about all of them (from Brick and Mortars - for nickels, dimes and quarters - all I ever bought from Goodie at was pre-war, at his store. ADCO). He didn't pay me much at all, but I didn't mind...until out of nowhere up pops #311! Now, the going rate for that card at the time was around $38, and I always wanted it badly (I was a transplanted NYer in LA). That was a lot of money for me. So I didn't even bother to ask. Alas, in hindsight, I'm sure I could have put in on lay-away, but that never occurred to me then.

Last edited by Paul S; 01-26-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:42 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
It was the mid-nineties and I was at the National, being held that year in Atlanta. I was perusing the wares on offer when I spotted Kevin Struss at the SportsCards Plus table and went over to say hello, which I did. Kevin is an old friend. There in his case was a T206 with the familiar orange background. Yes, it was him, Honus himself, positioned handsomely in a PSA 4 holder. While in a state of disbelief, I asked Kevin if I could hold it and he happily obliged. So I can truthfully say I have held the Holy Grail. But then things got interesting. He explained that the card belonged to Mastro who had purchased it from an older woman in NJ and and was looking for a quick sale.
The more we talked the more I sensed that perhaps some kind of deal could be struck. Memory fades, but I believe he was willing to consider cash and trade (I had a stack of beautiful just graded '14 Cracker Jacks, including Jackson. to offer up). To make a long story short, we reached a number of around, astonishingly, of $150,000, which would have been the deal of the century. At the time, I was a dealer, Full Count Baseball Cards and to complete this surreal transaction would have taken all my cash and some star cards. I just couldn't do it and walked away, regretting it to this day. Of course, I still wonder who the lucky person was who captured Honus.
Hey John, Bill showed me that Wagner the first time I ever went to his home. Great card!

Mine that got away: A friend/collector, in the late 1990's offered me his Baltimore News Babe Ruth. He sent it to me and I had it in my hands but it was missing the upper left corner, clipped off. He wanted $15K for it. I had the money but just couldn't get past the clipped corner. I passed and sent it back. Doh!
Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 PM
Mark Arentsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by effe View Post
Was Burleigh Grimes an autograph guest at the show? If so I was there too. I picked up a 1933 Goudey Ruth at the show for $40 and 3/4 of a 1954 Topps for $20.
I don't remember if Grimes was there or not. If Grimes was there, I probably ignored the idea of an autograph from him, as I got him at a Milwaukee show in August of 77. I remember thinking that I'll buy a 33 Goudey of Grimes to get autographed (like they would be available in quantity...HA!). I got the Milwaukee Show program signed instead.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:35 AM
Ben North

Recently I was looking at a website and seen a cool autographed card. After looking closer it was a cool error card. I am not much of a auto guy but the auto on a error card had me very interested. The price was a little high but within reason. We where about to leave for supper and it is a site that you have to be a member and have $ in your account with them. I looked and did not have enough $ in my account and the wife was in a hurry. I figured since it was just listed I would buy it when we got back home. When we got back home I looked and it was sold. Then a few days later another member here emailed me a picture of his new autographed error card.LOL
Old 01-27-2018, 04:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

Over a long time without much budget, there are so many that got away.

Orr usa test rookie, in really nice shape. it was in my local dealers "special" binder, actually special stuff that they weren't actively selling sort of a maybe available collection. Anyway, it was $100, which at the time seemed crazy because hockey hadn't taken off, and a hundred would have bought pretty much an entire decades worth of sets, maybe more.

T206 Drum - maybe vg Saw it at the shriners, but it was at like the third table, and while I had the money it was all I'd brought. So buying it would have meant about a 10 minute stop at the show.

1950? Topps felt back football cards. A whole small boxful of them, maybe a couple hundred? I think $60. Again, before anything but baseball was all that expensive. But I didn't know anything about them, and they were interesting but tiny, and all college players, and being the dunce I am sometimes I passed.

Of course there's a boatload of stuff I could have tried to find back then and done really well with, 52 Mantles were under a thousand, and some other big money cards were no big deal.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:48 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
At least you guys were in the game!! I had Amazon AND Apple on a short watch list and never pulled the freagin trigger!! Ouch!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:41 PM
Chris Counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Chris, that story was a scream! Nice going, my friend. Two sides to every story, and the jerk goes and bawls to his mommy about how this bad boy caused this horrible accident. "And I did'n do nuttin' to him!", I can just hear him whine.

You know, Chris, maybe it's just as well that you didn't get that bully's cards. I have found if I have a very bad memory associated with an object, I don't want the object anymore. Whatever you might have gotten from the boy, over time you probably would not have treasured them, all because it came from that jerk.

My wretched " the one that got away" was at the big 1974 Midwest Card Collectors Convention in Troy, Michigan. I saw a 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams at a dealer's table in EX-MT condition. He wanted twenty bucks. I asked him to save it for me while I went to my hotel room to get the twenty. Upon my return, he had just sold it to another collector. Classic example of why teens (I was 19) hate adults sometimes. The sad story with all its details became chapter 12 of my book on regionals, Never Cheaper By the Dozen. Yes, in the chapter I answer the obvious question, "WELL, STUPID, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, GOING DOWN TO THE CONVENTION WITHOUT YOUR MONEY?*%@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I recall, you love regionals, Chirs, so I thought you would appreciate and empathize with this succinct version of my yarn. I quoted you in my book, too!

----Brian Powell
Brian, I went to a show in Pontiac, MI, in 1976. I arrived on a red eye from California with my mom and my brother — and no sleep. I was 15. I stepped through the doors into this big room and walked up to the first table, and the guy had a shoebox full of 1953 Bowman Color Hall of Famers. Just about every card was perfect mint, and there were about a dozen of each, including at least that many Mantles. I spent all I had in the first five minutes of the show — I paid $11 for one of those Mantles — and then I wandered around the room for another two or three hours looking at all this amazing stuff I couldn't buy until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:50 AM
And.rew Whi.te

My dad and I started having "card shows" in our garage in 1979 when I was a sophomore in high school in far suburban Chicago. Our first show was incredible as I ran buy adds in the local newspaper for a week before and I could not believe the response we received. People were bringing us garbage bags filled with cards that we bought at prices that would make one cry today. I remember that we walked away with 2 Koufax rookies, an Aaron rookie and hundreds of cards that allowed us to put sets together but oddly enough no Mantles.

Flash forward a year or two and we were now holding shows in a local grade school gymnasium with a few other dealers present and in walks an older, white haired gentleman with a cigar box. As anyone who has done card shows knows, a cigar box is usually a very good sign. He approached me and allowed me to look at the treasure that was inside of the box.

Inside this box was hundreds of 1933 and '34 Goudeys in the most incredible shape. The man explained that these were his cards from his childhood and liked to take good care of them which is why they were in such incredible shape. I spotted all of the Ruths and Gehrigs and many other stars and being the set builder I am I suggested he may have the whole set. So we went to the teachers lounge by ourselves, sat down and sorted the cards. As we were sorting I explained to him that he probably would not have a whole set of the 33's as they did not make one card which was the Lajoie as they issued it the next year. He shook his head and looked at me and said..."You mean like this one?". I swear I almost passed out.

Long story short, the man was one or two commons away from a set and had many many more left over. I asked him if you he wanted to sell (more like begged) but he said he was going to get himself a safe deposit box and put them in there for his grandkids to enjoy. He simply wanted to know if he had anything that was worth money in his collection. I often wonder what happened to those cards and if they are still in that safe deposit box.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:16 AM
Daryle Barbee

Default Joe and Cy

Had a chance to buy one of the few known T210-8 Joe Jackson cards for under $8K. Was raw and being offered by a known dealer. Would have been a “1.5-2” IMO. If I’d only known the level of scarcity at the time....

Had the PSA5 E107 Cy Young in my hands once. Guy in my small town owned it. We had a major cash trade in the works. He was wanting my 1964 1/2 2+2 Fastback Mustang. He offered cash + cards. He got the car but he wouldn’t budge on the Young card. He paid $2000 for the card. I actually called the dealer who sold it to him to purchase it but my friend had beat me to it. I offered him $3K in trade towards the card.....nope 😕