NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2018, 08:20 PM
RichardSimon's Avatar
RichardSimon RichardSimon is offline
Richard Simon
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,258
Default Offered to me today,,,, :) :)

I got an email offering this to me today.
It is obviously a terrible forgery.
And funny too.
She died in 1970.
This Greatest Hits album came out in 1972-73.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joplin-fake.jpg (66.0 KB, 495 views)
__________________
Sign up & receive my autograph price list. E mail me,richsprt@aol.com, with your e mail. Sports,entertainment,history.
-
Here is a link to my online store. Many items for sale. 10% disc. for 54 members. E mail me first.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-05-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-2018, 03:46 AM
mr2686 mr2686 is offline
Mike Rich@rds0n
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,120
Default

Lmao!

Last edited by mr2686; 08-06-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2018, 03:19 PM
earlywynnfan's Avatar
earlywynnfan earlywynnfan is offline
Ke.n Su.lik
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,501
Default

What did they say when you pointed out the dates?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2018, 03:52 PM
D. Bergin's Avatar
D. Bergin D. Bergin is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 3,377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
What did they say when you pointed out the dates?

"I know it's real, because my grandfather only bought good stuff and he's had it for at least 20 years.............and he knew Janis Joplin, and of course it's real because he's as honest as the day is long...................and......are you callin' my grandfather a liar?..........because if you are, that's reprehensible, because he was a veteran and he loved god.....I hope you are ashamed of yourself, because all I feel is pity for you. I will shop this elsewhere and find it a good home.

Have a blessed day."

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Terrier8HOF Terrier8HOF is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 59
Default

if its one thing I hate, its a dumb forger
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,217
Default

Oddly enough I'm grateful for dumb forgers. It's the smart forgers that I'm not real fond of...
__________________
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-2018, 08:11 PM
RichardSimon's Avatar
RichardSimon RichardSimon is offline
Richard Simon
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
What did they say when you pointed out the dates?
She had originally told me it was bought at a garage sale.
When I told her about the dates she wrote me back and said "oh thanks, I just found that out myself."
I wrote back and said, "If you say so." She did not answer that.
__________________
Sign up & receive my autograph price list. E mail me,richsprt@aol.com, with your e mail. Sports,entertainment,history.
-
Here is a link to my online store. Many items for sale. 10% disc. for 54 members. E mail me first.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
"I know it's real, because my grandfather only bought good stuff and he's had it for at least 20 years.............and he knew Janis Joplin, and of course it's real because he's as honest as the day is long...................and......are you callin' my grandfather a liar?..........because if you are, that's reprehensible, because he was a veteran and he loved god.....I hope you are ashamed of yourself, because all I feel is pity for you. I will shop this elsewhere and find it a good home.

Have a blessed day."

Wow, I love it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Mr. Zipper Mr. Zipper is offline
Steve Zarelli
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Oddly enough I'm grateful for dumb forgers. It's the smart forgers that I'm not real fond of...
Unfortunately the dumb, laughable forgers lull many collectors into a sense of false confidence. The skilled forgers love this.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Unfortunately the dumb, laughable forgers lull many collectors into a sense of false confidence. The skilled forgers love this.
Fortunately, if you are a collector whose money is important to you, with some research it can become easy to spot the work of the "skilled forgers", as they are consistent and they have tells. I'm constantly amazed at how much money is spent in major auctions on gorgeous single-signed Babe Ruth balls that are clear forgeries. I realize they aren't "clear forgeries" to everyone, but if you are dropping $15K+ on a Ruth ball, you would think you would do a little research.

^
||
==== that's a dead horse we've been beating for 20 years, but apparently there are still bits of hair, bone and grissle remaining.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone just offered me this crap RichardSimon Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 29 03-23-2015 10:26 AM
To the guys that offered.....thanks Leon Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 16 03-11-2015 11:50 AM
Look at the beauties I was just offered RichardSimon Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 7 07-11-2012 02:12 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.


ebay GSB