NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Josh

Default 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs

It's that time of year again hockey fans which means it's time for another playoff discussion thread!!!

As a Blues fan I hope they can at least make it out of the first round, and maybe make another conference final appearance. This SHOULD be a little easier since they won't have to face CHI in the first round. Of course STL did get eliminated by MIN back in 2015...hoping that won't happen again.

Playoffs begin on Wednesday.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:35 AM
D@le Irv*n

Toronto is in tough against Washington, I say Wash in 5.
Bruins beat out Sens
Oilers over Sharks (this has the potential to be a good series, imo)
Blues over Wild

Penguins over Columbus, but I see it going 7 games, maybe even with Columbus coming out on top?
NY vs Montreal. Too great goalies but King Henry hasn't played his best lately. I say Montreal in 6.
I hope the Flames can get by the Ducks, but I really don't know how they match up? Flames in 7, hopefully.
Chicago over Nashville. Chicago in 6.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM
H Murphy

I`d be pleasantly surprised if the B`s can be the Senators, defense is all banged up and thin to begin with. Mont/NY should be a good series and once again will be watching for a Wash. playoff "push". Should be good stuff !!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Al Wright

As a devoted NY Ranger fan since Original Six days I'd really like to be optimistic about their chances against the Canadiens, but feel they've lost too many important pieces over the last 2 years to go very far in this years playoffs.
Their season record is nothing to apologize for, but the ice starts to tilt a little more now. An unconscious Lundqvist (if it's still there) will be needed I fear.

On the topic of hockey, don't know how others feel, but I would really appreciate the powers that be reinstituting the home white jersey. Been bugging me for years.

Think Tortorella might have a surprise up his sleeve. I don't see Columbus going quietly.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:30 AM
Josh Adams

Great to see a hockey thread!

Very excited. Hawks have alot of question marks on defense, and whether the young kids like Hartman, Chicken fat (Schmaltz), and Hayden can withstand the pressure

Love hockey, love the playoffs. Lets keep this thread going.
And its great to see Toronto and Edmonton in the playoffs.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:20 AM
octavio ranzola

no love for montreal
Old 04-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Todd

Default ugh...

My team missed the playoffs by 1 point.

...on to baseball season...
Old 04-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Mike Lenart

The playoffs should be great as usual. Many surprises may come.

Hope the N Y Rangers go far but no sure if they will. As mentioned, lost some key players last few years but still have a good team.

Mike
Old 04-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Sam Lemoine

My team just missed the playoffs (for the eighth straight season). We are in a decade long rebuilding. Oh well, since the Canes are out I will pull for Toronto, St Louis and Washington since they haven't won in forever.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Tony Quinn

Blackhawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, just too pumped. God, I hope we don't have to play Washington for the Cup. Really they are the only team that scares me. Anyone could lose to anyone at any time but Chi/Wash/Pitts should be champs at the end.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Scott Ti3k

Considering where the Blues were on February 1st the fact that we even made the playoffs is a miracle. Anything else is just going to be a bonus.

Fire your coach who has won a Stanley Cup and trade one of the better offensive defensemen in the league and good things happen eh?
Old 04-12-2017, 06:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

I didn't realize Ottawa has had Boston's number all season!

I took Boston in my pool too!
Old 04-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan73 View Post
Considering where the Blues were on February 1st the fact that we even made the playoffs is a miracle. Anything else is just going to be a bonus.

Fire your coach who has won a Stanley Cup and trade one of the better offensive defensemen in the league and good things happen eh?
I'm surprised they made it too. The beginning/middle of the season was kind of rough.

Speaking of Hitchcock saw Dallas is going to hire him as their head coach.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:49 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-vintage View Post
I'm surprised they made it too. The beginning/middle of the season was kind of rough.

Speaking of Hitchcock saw Dallas is going to hire him as their head coach.............
..........again.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
..........again.

Hitch did take them to back to back Stanley Cups Finals and even Won it all once. Sure that was like 15 years ago...
Old 04-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Al Wright

Bell Centre was rocking tonight but Glassy's backhand set them back in their seats a little. Second period was two different games - Rangers owned first 10 minutes, Montreal the second half. Good, chippy playoff hockey! One down, in what will be a difficult series.

I have to get my Pacioretty voodoo doll out and start sticking it with pins in critical places.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:57 AM
H Murphy

Default Bruins

Well it wasn`t a work of art but a win, their 1`st this season vs the Sens, is a win. B`s were credited with ZERO shots in the 2`nd period, zero. Rask will have to steal a couple to win this series.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:50 PM
D@le Irv*n

Surprised the Leafs did as well as they did tonight.

Would have been huge if they got the win, but it wasn't meant to be.

Surprised Chicago lost tonight, but the playoffs are a marathon, not a sprint.

Anaheim/Calgary just started. My gut tells me the bad blood between them will subside, or until someone gets a huge lead.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:37 PM
Josh

I think WSH/TOR is going to be much better than I thought, huge win for TOR tonight in double overtime. I think TOR takes it in 6.

Last edited by cool-vintage; 04-15-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
I think WSH/TOR is going to be much better than I thought, huge win for TOR tonight in double overtime. I think TOR takes it in 6.

If Washington starts thinking about their past failures, they could be in trouble. Toronto got a split the first two games on the road so that is great for them. We'll see what happens. Long way to go but nice game last night.

Go Rangers!!!

Mike
Old 04-17-2017, 07:54 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemb View Post
If Washington starts thinking about their past failures, they could be in trouble. Toronto got a split the first two games on the road so that is great for them. We'll see what happens. Long way to go but nice game last night.

Go Rangers!!!

Mike
Hopefully they pull off another win tonight but they are going to be in especially tough now without Pollak and Zaitsev.

I can't believe the Hawks and Columbus are in the positions they are in! I totally thought both teams would be ahead by now, not behind.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:46 PM
Josh

Ducks advance with a sweep of the Flames

Last edited by cool-vintage; 04-20-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Ducks advance with a sweep of the Flames
I can't believe the Hawks got swept!

There are 19 of us in our playoff pool and not a single person took the Preds, and a good majority took the Hawks all the way to the Cup with a good chunk of those, including me, winning it.

Big game for the Leafs tonight! Would be so sweet if they could pull off a huge upset and beat the Caps out.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Mike Lenart

Not only did the Hawks get swept, but they got their butts kicked! I did not watch all the games so not sure if they were outplayed or just played badly.

Hope the Leafs play well tonight and win.

Go Rangers!

Love the Stanley Cup playoffs!!!

Mike
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Al Wright

Not surprised in Nashville being a tough matchup for the Blackhawks, but stunned that they took them out in 4.

Unfortunately, I also thought that the Blue Jackets would prove a very difficult obstacle for Pittsburgh. Felt Tortorella had them primed for a playoff run. Oh well. Nice to see that John retains the same post game rapport with the media that he had in New York. Pens maybe better than I thought.

Would love to see the Leafs take out Washington. Will be rooting. Amazing what Lamorello brings to a hockey organization. As a Ranger fan I witnessed his ability for years with the Devils. Cursed him many a time, but you've got to give him his due as a top notch hockey guy.

Rangers on the doorstep of advancing. Canadiens should be a tough out. Somebody please keep this Gallagher out of Lundqvist's crease!! And, secondly, sit on Pacioretty. Go Rangers! And bring back the home whites.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:38 AM
H Murphy

Great effort by the Bruins last nite, one area they`re not lacking in is......Nads. Rask did what he had to 41 saves and they got a bounce on the game tying goal. Some close calls again last nite but all said and done game 6 Sunday in Boston. Got a feeling this is going the full 7, NHL playoffs are the best ! Let`s GO B`s !!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:38 AM
D@le Irv*n

Pretty disappointed the Leafs weren't able to win last night,

The Kadri hit was a good hit, but unfortunately the NHL has changed and that hit becomes a trip

I can't help but think the Leafs blew their chance of advancing now, but with possibly 2 games left, I guess they're not our of it yet.

Hopefully St. Louis can put out the Wild tonight and hopefully the Oilers can do the same.

I have the CDN's in my pool but I think the Rangers might wrap this one up tonight as well?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:43 PM
E®© Eńlø

Location: Home of the 11-Time World Champion St. Louis Cardinals

Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!! Blues win!!!
Old 04-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Scott Ti3k

Nice win for my team! The 3rd period was a bit of a cluster but the Blues pulled it off.

Nice to see Paajarvi get the game winner. The kid went down to Chicago(AHL) and busted his ass and has been a much better all around player since he was recalled in early February. Not sure what Wolves head coash Craig Berube said or did but the message seems to have gotten through. Nice to see the hard work pay off.

Like I said If you would have told me before the Hitchcock firing that this team was going to make the playoffs I would have laughed in your face. I had no expectations of this team. This is like bonus hockey & I am just enjoying the ride.

Scott
Old 04-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan73 View Post
Nice win for my team! The 3rd period was a bit of a cluster but the Blues pulled it off.

Nice to see Paajarvi get the game winner. The kid went down to Chicago(AHL) and busted his ass and has been a much better all around player since he was recalled in early February. Not sure what Wolves head coash Craig Berube said or did but the message seems to have gotten through. Nice to see the hard work pay off.

Like I said If you would have told me before the Hitchcock firing that this team was going to make the playoffs I would have laughed in your face. I had no expectations of this team. This is like bonus hockey & I am just enjoying the ride.

Scott
Yeah I was a little nervous during the third and OT, but they pulled it off. I agree the first half of the season wasn't pretty, so I am somewhat surprised they made it to the second round.

Last edited by cool-vintage; 04-22-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Mike Lenart

Big win by my Rangers last night to advance. Congrats to Edmonton also. Nice to see the Blues in too.

Two big games today. They will be fun to watch.

Love the Stanley Cup playoffs. Always surprising.

Mike
Old 04-23-2017, 08:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Although I had the CDN's in my pool, I am not disappointed they are out.

Happy to see St. Louis and the Oilers advance, too!

Hope the Leafs and Ottawa can get it done today as well, but I have more faith in Ottawa than I do the Leafs, unfortunately.

Just so you know, Ottawa and Boston is a 3pm ET start and the Leafs/Caps are at 7.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Al Wright

And then there were eight.

Not trying to single out the Boston fans as there's unruly behavior in way too many places in sports today, but it was sad to see the ice littered with rubbish after the Senators OT victory yesterday.

The tension will ratchet up another notch in this next round.

As a Ranger fan I'm hoping Brassard doesn't come back to haunt us, and that we can somehow control that amazing defenseman they've got.

The Capitals/Penguins series should be a real barn burner.

Good luck to everybody still in the hunt.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:11 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
And then there were eight.

Not trying to single out the Boston fans as there's unruly behavior in way too many places in sports today, but it was sad to see the ice littered with rubbish after the Senators OT victory yesterday.

The tension will ratchet up another notch in this next round.

As a Ranger fan I'm hoping Brassard doesn't come back to haunt us, and that we can somehow control that amazing defenseman they've got.

The Capitals/Penguins series should be a real barn burner.

Good luck to everybody still in the hunt.
I'm looking forward to the next round and hope to see the Oilers and Sens prevail, even though it will not be easy!

I am confused on Carlson coming out and talking about the hairline fractures in his foot? That foot/his feet will now be a bigtime target!

I despise Kelser from Anaheim. He will give McDavid fits so hopefully Lucic, or McDavid himself, takes care of him early in the series! He is not well liked, even by his teammates, anywhere in the NHL.

I like the Penns over the Caps, but agree, it should be a great series, hopefully?

St. Louis and the Preds is going to be a goal tenders dual, provided both still stay hot after the first round?
I like the Preds, especially that new(er) kid Fiala. Him and cous, (wife's side) James Neal, have been working well together lately!

Last edited by irv; 04-26-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Al Wright

Surprised the NHL scheduled this round without an east/west doubleheader option. Sens/Rangers and Pens/Caps going head to head instead of an eastern game and then a later starting game from the west. Oh well, what do I know.

Also pulling (hard) for Edmonton. Fingers crossed for the Rangers, although this Karllson guy terrifies me. No love lost from me for the Caps or Pens, but it should be a humdinger.

Game 1 of Nashville/St. Louis in 15 minutes. Let's play some hockey!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I'm looking forward to the next round and hope to see the Oilers and Sens prevail, even though it will not be easy!

I am confused on Carlson coming out and talking about the hairline fractures in his foot? That foot/his feet will now be a bigtime target!

I despise Kelser from Anaheim. He will give McDavid fits so hopefully Lucic, or McDavid himself, takes care of him early in the series! He is not well liked, even by his teammates, anywhere in the NHL.

I like the Penns over the Caps, but agree, it should be a great series, hopefully?

St. Louis and the Preds is going to be a goal tenders dual, provided both still stay hot after the first round?
I like the Preds, especially that new(er) kid Fiala. Him and cous, (wife's side) James Neal, have been working well together lately!
I'd say a broken leg for Fiala. It did not look good at all. Stretcher, Dr's, trnr's, he is done for the season now which will really hurt the Preds, imo.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Al Wright

Yeah, that was a nasty bad angle collision with the boards for the Nashville kid. Was surprised to see them moving his leg like they did, but it must not have been the knee but the leg as you suggested.

Meanwhile, what's with an NHL playoff game, national audience and all, and they have to delay the restart because there isn't a backup ambulance/emt crew at the arena???? The local high school football games around here have two ambulances on hand! When you're out the better part of $50 bucks for two beers and two hot dogs in what these leagues claim are world class venues there has to be more attention to detail no?

Might try the picture in picture tonight for the Eastern Conference games.

Go Rangers!
Old 04-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Josh

That was a nasty collision and Fiala will now be out the remainder of the playoffs with a fractured femur. Surprised he was even moving his leg. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...-broken-femur/

Last edited by cool-vintage; 04-27-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:02 PM
D.an Jackso.n

That is tough for Fiala and the Preds.

Also tough was that loss for my Blues last night. Battled back from 3-1 to tie it up and then give up a pretty bad goal with just under 5:00 left in the 3rd. Like the way they came back though and this is going to be a long series.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:58 PM
Scott Ti3k

Tough loss for the Blues and at the same time a tough loss for the Preds losing Fiala. That was a nasty ride into the boards. I hate to see a young player suffer a horrific injury like that. I hope he can bounce back from it!

Scott
Old 04-28-2017, 06:46 AM
Mike Lenart

Tough loss for Rangers last night. We will see how the teams that lost game 1 respond in their next game.

I know injuries are part of sports (and life) but I still hate to see it happen to anyone at any time. Hope Fiala heals well.

Hope to see a game 7 in this round!

Mike
Old 04-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemb View Post
Tough loss for Rangers last night. We will see how the teams that lost game 1 respond in their next game.

Mike
OMG, tough is not adequate to describe it. The King was amazing all night and to lose on a fluke like that is discouraging.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-29-2017, 05:30 PM
Al Wright

Congrats to any Senators fans out there, but that was a beyond brutual beat today for the Rangers. I still have a TV, which surprises me. Reminded me of having a horse clear by 8 lengths at the 1/8th pole and heading to the window to cash only to have it run down. Gutted.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:50 PM
Josh

Great win by the Sens. Pageau with the game tying goal and the GWG. (He ended up finishing with a 4 goal game.)

Really wanting WSH to win tonight.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Congrats to any Senators fans out there, but that was a beyond brutual beat today for the Rangers. I still have a TV, which surprises me. Reminded me of having a horse clear by 8 lengths at the 1/8th pole and heading to the window to cash only to have it run down. Gutted.

Yea, it was brutal. It's going to be tough to bounce back but will watch. Still have my TV, not sure if remote still works.

Mike
Old 04-30-2017, 11:34 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I am not a Sen's fan per se, but I am glad to see them doing well.

The series is long from over but right now, imo, it looks like the Sens want it more?

Quote:
Great win by the Sens. Pageau with the game tying goal and the GWG. (He ended up finishing with a 4 goal game.)

Really wanting WSH to win tonight.
4 goals and he says he is not a very good shooter!
I said to my son, who also thinks the same, despite have a wicked, accurate shot, the guy is in the NHL so he didn't get there just on looks alone!

I am glad to see the Pens win. I am not a big Ovy fan so I won't be disappointed to see him beat out. I do like Backstrom and Oshie, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like it is going be their year once again.

The Oilers I am really rooting for now. I didn't know if they would have enough to beat the Sharks but after almost sweeping them, and being up 2 games on Ana, in their home barn, no less, who I thought was more than likely Cup bound, I hope they go all the way!

A Pens/Oilers Stanley Cup final would make for some great hockey! (provided most stay healthy)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Mike Lenart

It's getting very interesting as the second round comes to a close. Big win by the Ducks last night. We will find out the conference matchups in the next few days. Still hoping for a game 7 somewhere. Great Hockey!!

Mike
Old 05-06-2017, 08:29 AM
Tony

Great hockey unless you're a Caps fan going through their annual playoff collapse. I was on the bandwagon thinking this was the year they would break through. If they don't make a miraculous comeback from a 3-1 deficit it's time to break up the core and start over. They just don't know how to win.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:41 AM
qu@n nguy3n

i thought it'd be nashville/pitt but the west is making it interesting. nhl probably praying for edm/pitt.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:35 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i thought it'd be nashville/pitt but the west is making it interesting. nhl probably praying for edm/pitt.
I am hoping for that, but after waking up this morning and seeing that Anaheim came back and won that game, that I thought was over, I don't know if it is going to happen now?

Imo, the Sens are now in tough, too.
I hope the Penns can eliminate the Caps tonight, and it will be interesting to see if Crosby returns?