NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 AM
John Manning

Default Cleaning old uni shirt

I have a uniform shirt from the 1936 Pirates, worn by coach Jewel Ens and purchased from his estate. It's covered with spots that, if they were on paper, would be called "foxing." It's also very stiff.

Obviously I'd like to live up to the Hippocratic oath: "First, do no harm." But I need to know what to do to improve its condition without messing it up.

Please offer advice. (When's the last time you heard that?!) Are there specific processes to avoid?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

It is actually called foxing for clothing too. You probably would want to find a conservationist to clean the jersey, although the staining could be permanent. I have been told that the process of wet cleaning can cost anywhere from $400-1000 with a professional, but that is just a rough estimate. I guess you would have to talk with someone and get a quote.

Good luck!

Chris

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 PM

Default Be careful

Hi. I am a collector of old flannels and have seen way more harm than good done by folks trying to clean. You have a thing which has value. What i would do is fine a fabric conservator and assess first if the stuff on the jersey is threatening to it. If the answer is no, then just leave it. If the answer is yes, then there are many good solutions that can deal with cleaning. Generally, if you search fabric conservators you can find people. I have a 1940's dodger jersey which had some issues and someone decided to clean. the combination of what was on the jersey and what was used to clean it has resulted in a browning of the jersey that has made things much worse and threatened the jersey. You will read a lot of things about jersey care that quite frankly will lead to less rather than more conservation for your jersey.
dan
Old 07-03-2012, 08:47 PM
John Manning

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks to both of you. I've made arrangements to send the jersey to Museum Textile Services in Andover Mass. They sound like they'll respectit for what it is -- emphasis on conservation, not cleaning.

I'll post when I learn anything, since I'm betting there are others out there who'll need a service like this.

TRUTH IN TEXTING:

I am not related in any way to anyone at MTS, nor do I own any portion of it, nor had I ever heard of it before this afternoon.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:40 AM
John

Bob,
This is an interesting topic. I see on the MTS website, they have already worked on a vintage uniform. I hope it all works out well for you.
Please post some before photos before you send it off.