NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default Chuck Conners Photo ?

Posted By: Scot York

I bought this 8X10 photo of Chuck Conners this year. I'm almost positive the autograph is authentic but, not sure if the photo is period. Anybody have any knowledge of this type of photo(1938)or any other way to date the photo itself?.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

One simple thing to do is to look at and feel the back of the photo. If the back is supermooth and plasticy, it's definitely modern. Most modern (1970-90s) family snapshots have this plasticy feel, so you can compare. If, instead, the back is fibery, papery like regular paper, this is conistant with the photo being older. Some new paper is also fibery, papery, so it isn't proof of old age-- but papery/fibery is consistant ... The majority of modern Hall of Famers authentic signed 8x10 photos you find for sale on eBay-- ala 2001 Willie Mays signed reprint photo showing him in 1960, or Hank Aaron signed photo showing him in 1955-- have this plasticy paper on back, so they are quickly identified as modern photos. Most bidders in these auctions are bidding on the autograph and either know/assume the photo is modern or don't particularly care. MLB, NFL and NBA sell genuinely high quality 8x10 reprints of old timers for autographs. These photos not only are plasticy, but have the MBL, NFL, NBA stamps and/or holograms. A lot of the living HOFer and Old Timer signed photos are on these photos.

If you own a blacklight, you can quickly weed out most modern reprints, even those on papery photopaper-- as modern photopaper tends to fluoresce a certain way under black light.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot

The back is not glossy and has a coarse feel but, no fibers that I can see. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Administrator

If it has a coarse feel, that's what I was talking about. The modern plasticy paper is literally coated in resin (it's called "resin-coated paper") and looks and feels as if it was laminated or smoothly coated with bees wax. If yours feels coarse on back, it's definitely not the resin coated paper.

Whether old or new, the fronts of these photos are often glossy/smooth (this is where the photochemicals are held and where the image is chemically developed, so there are added substances which can make the fronts glossy). The 'paperr V plasticy' comparison is done on the back of a photo, not the front.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot

With what you're telling me, I'd say this photo is period. It's also toned on the back as if it were that old. I'm a riffleman fan and was glad to get this piece. I have another Conners auto that I know is authentic and this matches. You really made my day! Thanks again.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator

It it has a coarse back and toning, that's consistant with it being an older photo.

A veteran autograph expert was selling a Smokey Joe Wood autograph photo showing a baby faced Wood in Red Sox uniform. The seller didn't realize that the photo was an original by Charles Conlon (clearly stamped and signed on back) and the photo itself was probably worth 10-15X more than a Wood autograph. The photo was quite the artifact, as Wood personized his autograph to the famous old-timer autograph collector Jeffrey Morey, and Morey wrote on the back something on the order of "Dear Mr Wood, please autograph this mail it back to me at your convenience. Thank you." This suggests Morey was mailing off original Conlon photos to get autographs!