NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default selling the forum?

So I get an interesting email yesterday. Some guy asking me if I want to sell the forum. Says he wants to not "undo" what has been done but take it and make it much better. He says money is no object and this is a real email offer. So I call him. He says he has a financial partner that is the money and he would run the forum himself. I asked him if had experience in this hobby or industry. He said no but collected as a kid (as we all did). I told him I thought it would be rather difficult to moderate the forum with no hobby experience. Not to worry, he says......I told him I thought there was very little possibility of him being successful. And no, the forum isn't for sale....however, I guess anything is for the right amount. But it's not for sale....I just thought it kind of interesting that someone thinks they could run a forum like this with no experience. Maybe I am being naive? As one collector once said, anyone could do it. I don't think it's rocket science but I dunno....
Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Barry Sloate

Why would he want it? He must think it's a potential bonanza, I guess.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Well, when you have a money making machine like this forum, it's bound to attract the attention of the big money.

Have you considered auctioning it off on the Buy/Sell/Trade Section?
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
He said he is a stay at home dad taking care of a spouse that is sick. And this investor of his likes to buy forums....sounded sort of crazy. Even though a few haters think this forum sucks I would not want to see it go to hell in a handbag with a D-bag running it, or someone that really had no clue...
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post

Live auction section.....Bidding starts at 1 dollar with 1 dollar increments..... free shipping but paypal gift only.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM
qualitycards

Love the "money is no object" line.
Did he ever mention a $ figure?
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
pete ullman

Well...things have been kinda weird around here lately...I'll bid $5!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Matt Hall

I don't know who they are, but I'm sure they'd destroy it.

If they put a bunch of money into it, there would have to be big changes for them to get it it back out... Unless this forum is already making you rich beyond your wildest dreams, Leon....... Maybe it is? You do have a nice collection
Old 03-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Jeff

Net54 success starts at the top, BIG props to Leon and all he does.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:52 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Takes two equal components for a successful forum: those who post and the moderator...it's a symbiotic relationship, and the board as it is strikes a great balance. I'm sure moderation is not as easy as you make it seem to appear. It takes something both learned and innate. Just curious, but did the potential buyer say anything about HOW he would make it better, or what would the next level be? I couldn't imagine.
Oh yeah, is shilling allowed in the live auction?

Last edited by Paul S; 03-23-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
I don't know who they are, but I'm sure they'd destroy it.

If they put a bunch of money into it, there would have to be big changes for them to get it it back out... Unless this forum is already making you rich beyond your wildest dreams, Leon....... Maybe it is? You do have a nice collection
I was fortunate to make ok money in outside commission sales for 20+ yrs until last year. This forum's yearly earnings won't make anyone rich....it's ok, but not enough to really live on. (unless you want to be poor)...He never mentioned money as that was not his role. And I think his term wasn't money is no object, as I said, it was something like it would be a serious offer and they had a lot of money...regardless, I think he sounded like a dingbat. He would get eaten alive on the forum.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Leon, if you sold it, wouldn't you miss all the fights...and babysitting...and more fights....and name calling....and making all those decisions....and banning a few people....and being diplomatic to idiots....and more babysitting?

How could you give all that up?
Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Brian Horne

I would tell him to make an offer just to see how much your baby is worth. It would probably be insulting though. Great job by the way...
Old 03-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Pete Sycks

Did the guy have a trimmed Wagner for sale?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Matt Hall

I was being an ass Leon. I have a pretty good memory, and you've posted about your career before, you've also mentioned how much banner ads cost, so I knew better.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Did the guy have a trimmed Wagner for sale?
No, but I did see a pic with his underwear on the floor in the background...maybe we are onto something.

And thanks for the few kudos...certainly not looking for any. Just the participation on the board is enough for me. I couldn't imagine doing this if I wasn't a rabid collector either.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Thanks for all you do Leon and please don't sell this forum. For all the arguments and drama, this is still the #1 place for pre-WWII card enthusiasts to come. It is truly an enjoyable site to just hop on and see what some of the top hobby experts are thinking and to brainstorm ideas about how these cards were printed, distributed, etc, as well as to show off/view hobby rarities. The expert members make it worthwhile and you have just the right sense of when to let a discussion/debate continue and where to draw the line. Just wanted to get my thoughts out there as I've been hooked on Net54 since I discovered the site about a year ago. Thanks again, Steve
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:10 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
No, but I did see a pic with his underwear on the floor in the background...maybe we are onto something.
What?! I told him I'd be back for my boxers later!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
What?! I told him I'd be back for my boxers later!
Party Foul!!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Alex

Sounds like a very weird email.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
He would want it only for the fact that there is a nice amount of traffic here. He would begin to advertise and try to sell advertising here and or his own products. Like he said hes not into collecting he just wants the traffic.

What he dosnt understand, is that if he did do that, most here wouldnt like being emailed blasted every day and annoyed by pop ups and pop unders,someone here, maybe Leon would just buy a new domain, maybe
Net86baseball.com (mets won in 86) And everyone would just move over to the new forum.

Like leon said not gonna work unless you really know your stuff and can contribute as well as help the members.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Fred

OK, I'm gonna ask.... HOW MUCH DID HE OFFER??? I'm just curious... and I bet others are also.... I'm just rude enought to ask...
Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 PM
pete ullman

it doesn't apear an offer was made...just an offer for an offer?!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
He would want it only for the fact that there is a nice amount of traffic here. He would begin to advertise and try to sell advertising here and or his own products. Like he said hes not into collecting he just wants the traffic.

What he dosnt understand, is that if he did do that, most here wouldnt like being emailed blasted every day and annoyed by pop ups and pop unders,someone here, maybe Leon would just buy a new domain, maybe
Net86baseball.com (mets won in 86) And everyone would just move over to the new forum.

Like leon said not gonna work unless you really know your stuff and can contribute as well as help the members.

Anyone with half a brain hopefully would insist that Leon sign a Non-Compete of considerable length if any serious money changed hands.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Fred

Leon, if the guy offered you $500K for it what would you do? Ok, I realize that isn't going to happen, but I was just wondering what NUMBER would picque your interest?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Jake

Quote:

I would have to imagine there would have to be a non-compete clause.

I'm sure the traffic at Full Count, SGC and Collectors Universe would skyrocket.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
OK, I'm gonna ask.... HOW MUCH DID HE OFFER??? I'm just curious... and I bet others are also.... I'm just rude enought to ask...
He didn't offer. Remember, he said there is an investor that is the money guy. I told him to have that guy call me. I am waiting (this was only yesterday). And since I started this I will keep folks updated but I don't really expect a phone call back. I hope he caught the idea that I don't think he can do it. I don't think he did though...
Old 03-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Clayton

Well, I hope this doesn't happen. I'm sure this individual would attempt to make the board members pay a fee to be a board member, selling, buying, trading on the board would have a price, auctioning on the board would have a fee, etc....it would probably all revolve around money, unfortunately. After all, he's not even into pre war cards?

Thanks for all of your hard work Leon- DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Plus, there's the technical side of things too....we do a little more on the html/javascript side than most forums out there
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM

Don't sell for too little.
JimB

Old 03-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Leon,

Was it this guy???? You did say you saw underwear in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagner.jpg (67.0 KB, 340 views)
Old 03-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Anyone with half a brain hopefully would insist that Leon sign a Non-Compete of considerable length if any serious money changed hands.
its a internet forum that can be open by anyone, (maybe leon couldnt) but anyone could and heve leon as a mod or admin etc, there is no way to protect against it. Basicly hes selling a domain name and the content of all the past postings thats it.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 03-23-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Jeff

Quote:
its a internet forum that can be open by anyone, anywhere at any time, there is no way to protect against it.
You can't keep them from doing it, but you can go after them for it if they agree as a term of the sale not to.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 03-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

You could sell the forum to these two gentleman and stay on as an employee who helps run the site. The buyer and his money man could call themselves the "Kings of Leon". Hmmm, that's kinda catchy, would be a cool band name.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
You can't keep them from doing it, but you can go after them for it if they agree as a term of the sale not to.
Leon opens a new forum under a relative's name and becomes a silent consultant.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Leon opens a new forum under a relative's name and becomes a silent consultant.
If the point is, there's always a way to be a dick and not honor your word then I get that.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Barry Arnold

Default leon

i've been doing this forum for 'round a decade now and already feeling a bit
of separation anxiety with just a mention of the possibility of your selling the forum. Then I reread the posts and saw that you called the fella 'a dingbat'
so you are pushing the fella away. Whew! Thanks,Leon, for all the incredible work you do to make this forum possible. May I say without equivocation you, sir, are
no dingbat. You are Moderator par excellence, without peer.
all the best, ole friend,
barry
Old 03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Jason Wells

Vote Leon in 2016!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Steven Finley

Did he refer to the group as we? Please say yes.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:17 PM

hmmm.... a 'serious' buyer begins a negotiation with "money is no object".

sounds perfectly normal - and not anything to be cautious about.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Well, when you have a money making machine like this forum, it's bound to attract the attention of the big money.

Leon - The way to go if you sell might be auctioning off each section individually in the Live Auction Thread. However, if you go this route, remember that being forum owner does not exempt you from the "Only 2-3 Open at Once" rule.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:41 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
If the point is, there's always a way to be a dick and not honor your word then I get that.
Being a dick wasn't my point. Joining in the momentary general joyous fantasy surrounding workaround theory posts was.

Last edited by Paul S; 03-23-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijoem View Post

Perfectly typcal buyout b s. Money is no object, it is the only object. Sounds to me like a couple of guys who would buy, build a case for value based on actual advertising revenue and value of cards sold thru BS&T, then sell again. This second buyer will get it in the shorts as we would all be long gone. So Leon could repurchase at pennies and rebuild. I am in, Leon

Just kidding. I like this forum, there is nothing like it anywhere

Keith
...whatever I want
Old 03-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There is no number, It isn't for sale.

I am not a lawyer so there is my disclaimer but Non competes are valid and enforceable, most times, if there is a payment for it. I have had one before and it was enforceable because I received a payment in return. Another friend in the same situation wasn't paid and didn't have to abide by it. I think it goes state by state.

But regardless I enjoy moderating the forum, along with the other guys, and don't plan on leaving (or selling it). It's fun most times and I greatly enjoy the hobby. Unless what the guy says is interesting, if he calls, I won't report back. I would rather get back to talking about cards.....just thought it interesting so shared.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 PM

I've ran a busy forum as an admin and moderator for appx 4 years. It is not simple and there are so many different personalities that its hard to keep control. The forum was also comprised mostly of people in their 20's and 30's so battles occurred often. We also had a few dozen sponsors who were also posting regularly and often complaining about other members and other sponsors. It was tough. Our moderating staff was a dozen or so people but it wasnt enough. Very time consuming and very stressful. People don't always understand what it takes to operate one of these sites. This place is very well ran and thank god the community is comprised of mostly mature individuals.

Thanks Leon for the site and smooth operations.

Last edited by Blitzu; 03-23-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcardboard View Post
Net54 success starts at the top, BIG props to Leon and all he does.
Ditto!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Maybe he's representing ebay. Then those fake alerts Net54 sends would disappear and we would get posts like "Hey guys, seen item #xxxxxxxxx ? Wow that is one great Babe Ruth item! Obviously genuine. I'd bid high!""
Old 03-23-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijoem View Post

That is always my opening line when beginning a negotiation.
JimB
Old 03-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Fred

Leon,

This forum would be a bad investment for anyody because as soon as you sold it and they screwed it up, we'd all bail and then it would have been a pretty piss poor investment... come to think of it, why would someone in their right mind even consider buying this forum without first researching what would happen if things didn't go as planned....

Leon, this could be a great business opportunity... sell it, let them screw it up, and then buy it back at 25% the price you sold it for...
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

he probably wanted so he could sell all our names to mass marketers