NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Brock

Default So who

So who got the seller to end this item early?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350588990142...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Al

Default bat

Brock,
I dont think you will get an answer to this one!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Brock

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. I asked the seller how much they sold it for, but guessing I won't hear back from them either.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 PM

I just hope they took my advice. I sent them a message while it was live saying that if they sell if off ebay not to take less than $4,000. I'd have hated to see another bat like this sell for $600...
Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 AM
Scott

Is that GU or something? O'wise, why would it be 4000?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
I just hope they took my advice. I sent them a message while it was live saying that if they sell if off ebay not to take less than $4,000. I'd have hated to see another bat like this sell for $600...
Or listed on a website a week later.

And Gray yes it is game used.

Last edited by yanks12025; 08-22-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Or listed on a website a week later.

And Grey yes it is game used.

Yep. Or listed on a website. At least I can look myself in the mirror and know that I've NEVER blatantly low balled someone. Can you say the same???

You keep taking shot after shot at people for re-selling. Like the shot you took at me on GUU recently for the Kurt Suzuki jersey. What you didn't know is that I offered the jersey to one of the guys on that site at a price that after shipping & paypal fees would have left me with a profit of around $30. I even told him in the email "The best part being that the item would end up in the hands of a Suzuki collector."

If you want me to forward you the email I will.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:15 AM
Brock

I can look at myself in the mirror, because with that item I could only offer what I had at the time. So it's not my fault they accepted it. The Mantle bat, the seller came up with that price.
And saying on GUU, "That I'm sure he saw it when it was on ebay". Is not taking a shot, it's saying maybe he saw it on ebay and wasn't interested in it.

Last edited by yanks12025; 08-22-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM

Default bat

Bat is going to be relisted on Sept.1 guys so save your money and take your best shot!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Brock

So the bat sold for over $4,200 on eBay several months ago but brought less at mears auction. But noticed today it was removed from the mears sale page from their last auction, maybe it didn't meet a reserve?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Mike H.

I find it amusing when people cry whenever someone else has the smarts to work a deal off ebay. Put on your big boy pants and make a deal quicker than the next person. Either that, or get back down in the basement til your mommy brings you a TV dinner...good gawd!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
I find it amusing when people cry whenever someone else has the smarts to work a deal off ebay. Put on your big boy pants and make a deal quicker than the next person. Either that, or get back down in the basement til your mommy brings you a TV dinner...good gawd!!!
+1
Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
+2

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 PM

The only thing that bothers me is not that a person ends an auction early, its when they do so and completely get ripped off. I have seen things worth thousands of dollars with questions and answers posted on the auction where people are offering $50 or $25 or even $10! At least treat people within the realm of fairness and its a no lose situation. If they take the offer, you both win, if they dont, at least you know you treated them fairly and can sleep at night.

Rhys
Old 11-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
The only thing that bothers me is not that a person ends an auction early, its when they do so and completely get ripped off. I have seen things worth thousands of dollars with questions and answers posted on the auction where people are offering $50 or $25 or even $10! At least treat people within the realm of fairness and its a no lose situation. If they take the offer, you both win, if they dont, at least you know you treated them fairly and can sleep at night.

Rhys
Rhys, if a seller accepts your offer, then they probably paid less for the item and are happy with their profit, just as you will be if/when you re-sell it. But I think it's different if they are selling personal items and simply don't know the value. Tough call.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Jeff

I think the adage about treating people as you would hope to be treated applies here. To me a person who would offer $50 for a $1000 item has no standing to complain about card doctoring, auction house fraud, etc. Just my opinion and I am sure others will disagree.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Banned

What I think is shameful is when a person will make multiple offers to a seller, trying to pressure him or her to directly sell an item or cards that were listed. Then, after the person is successful and persuades the seller, won't acknowledge what he did. It's like he knows what he did wasn't exactly right. Hey, if you thought it was OK to convince the seller of something, then it ought to be OK to man up and admit it after the deal is done.

It's like Jeff said: Treat others as you'd like to be treated. And if you're not willing to admit how you treated someone, the guess here is it wasn't something to be proud of.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I literally spend hours almost every day scouring ebay for good deals. I readily admit to offering 25% or so, sometimes, on cards and stuff but usually it's about 50% and sometimes they accept. Best yet is when the searching pays off and the auction runs it course. I would have easily paid 5x-10x this amount for this card, but the auction ran it's course...I personally don't have a problem with folks offering whatever they want to for something. I am a greedy basta** though .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160912022935...84.m1439.l2648

Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

At least you're candid, Leon. Sign me up on the greedhead express too!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

To give a seller's perspective, I personally get annoyed with offers on AUCTION items mainly because at any given time I have several thousand FIXED PRICE / BEST OFFER listings and obviously know how to use the Best Offer function. If I wanted to take offers, or add a Buy It Now price to the listing, I would.

Personal annoyance aside though, when I get offers or requests for a Buy It Now price on an Auction item, I send back a "thank you for your interest, but no" message and politely explain that I have a policy to never end an Auction early to sell the item outright.

When it comes to taking Best Offers on Fixed Price items, the offers of 10% of my asking price are somewhat annoying, but I typically respond to those with what I feel to be a reasonable counteroffer. I feel there is a bit of etiquette with making Best Offers, but realize that everyone may not feel the same way. The ones that really push my buttons though are when the offerer makes a lowball offer and also includes an explanation along the lines of 1) I really don't need it, but will take it off your hands for this amount 2) it's a gift for whoever, so please take my offer 3) make a big deal about the condition of the item but that they could use a filler copy until they can find one in decent condition, etc. 4) I'm going to be making (lowball) offers on a lot of your items so hopefully you will take them all.

My favorite was a buyer who offered $5 for some small toys that I had priced at $50. I countered something like $40 or $45, and they sent back the same $5 offer saying "Take the offer. I'm just going to put them in a candy dish on my coffee table." I declined and informed them that what they did with the items didn't enter into the equation. I also asked if, by their logic, if they intended to throw the items in the trash upon receipt, should I just give the toys to them for free?

My philosophy is that sure, lowball offers are annoying, but I don't have to take them. Don't insult my intelligence and expect me to still do business with you though.