NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Mike H.

Default Worst REA ever

From a memorabilia (non-paper) perspective, this is the most disappointing REA auction by far. I'm amazed at the lack of figural and display pieces. Clearly you can't blame Rob or the house, it simply reflects the current state of affairs. Folks are hanging on to what they have til a sellers market emerges perhaps?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Joe Jesselli

And theres the little matter of one of REA's great sources of early memorabilia "drying up"
Old 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Mike H.

Please explain.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Dan Bretta

It's possible that Rob turned down some memorabilia and accepted more cards to keep the auction manageable. Clearly the failings of Mastro have benefited REA when it comes to cards...the offerings of Prewar cards is unreal.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Barry Sloate

Rob's auctions have clearly shifted and have less memorabilia and more cards than in the past.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Dan Bretta

Barry, do you think it has anything to do with consignors switching from Mastro/Legendary to REA? Also it's much easier to photograph, describe, store and ship cards than it is memorabilia.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Mike H.

I doubt Rob would turn down quality memorabilia for a once a year auction. The shipping charges are covered by the buyers. I'll bet he simply didn't receive many offers from memorabilia collectors to consign.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Dan Bretta

I know for a fact he turned down at least a couple of items...it could be that memorabilia is far more unpredictable in value and he got a lot of cards offered early which allowed him to turn some of the memorabilia down. As disappointed as you are with this auction, the card guys are drooling.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:12 PM

He turned down my 1956 Brooks Robinson San Antonio Missions gamer.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Barry Sloate

Dan- there is one consignor who contributed much of the great 19th century memorabilia who is no longer consigning. Plus, a lot of what you get is hit or miss.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Barry Sloate

And by the way, this auction has a fine selection of rare books, a terrific scorecard collection, many nice color prints, and some good photography. I think it's very well balanced. It all depends on what you collect.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Dan Bretta

Plus it has the Merkle game ball. I didn't immediately think it was a bad memorabilia auction, but from Mike's perspective as a Pennant, and figural guy there's nothing in there that is particularly outstanding.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Barry Sloate

And the Round Album poster is spectacular...wish I could afford it.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Mike Henson

I was a little disapointed as well,actually think Heritage's April Auction has some real nice autographed lots.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Joe Jesselli

Regarding my earlier post: I am referring to the unraveling of the relationship between Peter Nash and Robert Lifson. For some background, I recommend reading:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ash/index.html

This piece, though referred to, received stunningly little attention on this board. The implications regarding the sale of dubious early baseball memorabilia are frightening.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Jimmy

Default Worst REA ever

I really feel cards are more active right now, and even I have cut down on the amount of memorabilia I bring to my shows. The cards are easy to manage as well when it comes to auctions and I feel the same as the other member that more people are holding onto items.

Jimmy
Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
I doubt Rob would turn down quality memorabilia for a once a year auction. The shipping charges are covered by the buyers. I'll bet he simply didn't receive many offers from memorabilia collectors to consign.
I was told they were not interested in my 1951 Kansas City Blues book with the pre rookie mantle sig and several other HOF'ers. All of which played for KC prior to the Yankees and was signed while in the minors. Also 8 Negro leaguers in the back from a later date and had a JSA cert for all sigs.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Scott

Well Ive seen your Mantle book on here a few times, and I think its great. I guess they couldnt take everything, and as many have said, is heavy on cards. Ive seen some nice non card stuff scanning the online catalog so far.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I think they have some nice memorabilia offerings this time around... some bordering on incredible (i.e. the Babe Ruth Fro Joy piece and the set of D&M Ad Signs). There is some great early equipment too (Bats and game-used Jerseys) albeit not as much as they have had in the past.

I think we got a false sense of what was really out there, based on the REA auctions of 3 - 5 years ago. Their "major consignor" is no longer consigning, and collectors are now holding on to their prized pieces (Rob Lifson's words to me). Memorabilia collectors are much less likely to flip their sacred one of a kind possessions than card colletors (who know they will again see numerous other examples).

When I spoke with Rob about 4 months ago, he said he was actively seeking quality memorabilia, and also made an incredibly generous offer for some nice consigments (the type that Mike was referring to in the original post). I just think REA is at the whim of the consignors, and what is currently available. There was no conscious decision to shun the memorabilia side... it's simply supply and demand.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Default hold on now

This is just a quick post that I just today got the REA catalog and I think it's pretty good over all for the display intensive stuff ...there's a lack of figurals but the quality of display pieces there is very good and there's a fair amount of it. I'm a little surprised Rob didn't break down some doors to acquire at least a few good figural items since he has an entire year. Nevertheless I think it's a pretty good auction. True, not his best but still good...there were more than a couple items that raised my eyebrows. My initial perception was about like Mike's who started this thread...but as I've often found to be the case...reviewing the hard copy catalog is much easier to find "your stuff" than doing it on line...using the search feature and squinting thru the results.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Regarding "breaking down some doors to acquire a few good figural items"...

I can assure you there were some very attractive offers made. I just think the available supply is extremely short right now, as stated earlier. If REA could run two auctions a year instead of one, it would help. I know there are potential consignors who don't want to wait that long to be compensated for their consignments (despite the higher prices realized).

That said, it amazes me that only 2 Pennants made the auction this year... both being Red Sox. In past years, they have had as many as 20 - 25. I collect items similar to Mike H (who started this thread) and am actually kind of releived that I can now do a few home repairs, and more comfortably pay my property taxes this year!

Last edited by perezfan; 04-17-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:46 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Even if they are light in a few areas, there's still a lot of things I'd like to bid on.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
That said, it amazes me that only 2 Pennants made the auction this year... both being Red Sox. In past years, they have had as many as 20 - 25. I collect items similar to Mike H (who started this thread) and am actually kind of releived that I can now do a few home repairs, and more comfortably pay my property taxes this year!
There are three...you're forgetting the Buff feds pennant.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Barry Sloate

It's a great auction for books and scorecards. Unfortunately, these areas have fallen out of favor lately. This is clearly a card auction, with more T206's than I have ever seen in one place before.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
There are three...you're forgetting the Buff feds pennant.
Thanks for correcting me Dan... I really went brain-dead in forgetting about that one. It should go for big bucks... certainly more than the other two combined.