NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Default my goodness - Dummy Hoy

Posted By: Joe D.

I just saw a Dummy Hoy card on eBay... I didn't realize a card of his would be that far out of my league.

Unless it is is a listing fishing for an offer? (I am guilty of that myself)

Anybody have any suggestions for a nice Dummy Hoy card/photo/etc - to go along with an autograph I have (to be framed and put on a wall)? One that won't break the bank, but no reprints?

P.S. - I wasn't sure if this was a general board type post, or better suited for b/s/t? I am not really soliciting to buy - just looking for suggestions - as I don't really know the collectibles out there..... but if this is too close to the border of b/s/t - please delete and accept my apologies.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Seems more like a request for info here.....no worries....and good luck...

Old 07-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Sounds like you need cardpricer.com.

But really, I don't think that Hoy appears in any set other than n172. Even if he does, it would be an early set, since his career was over in the early 1900s.

So for this player it probably is a trade off between condition and price.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

There's a WG1 of him but it too will cost a lot.....

Old 07-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

it doesn't have to be a card...

which leads me to the question - anybody know of good sources for vintage photographs?

Old 07-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

A reasonable starting point. May actually be worth the $25. which the author charges.

cycleback

GUIDE TO SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHS
by David Rudd Cycleback

8"x11" paperback 112 pages
This book is an in depth guide to identifying, dating, authenticating, understanding and collecting sports photographs from the 1800s to today. It covers the broad range of types from 1800s tintypes to modern snapshots, cabinet cards to real photo postcards, wirephotos to Hollywood movie stills, slides to panoramas. There is no other book comparable in scope and detail.

Edited to add:
At less than $0.25 per page for a distillation of the insight gathered over a lifetime of study, this could be a tremendous bargain.

or

Doesn't the spouse of one of our participants offer custom paintings of sports figures?

Old 07-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

If you wouldn't mind a photo reprint, you could contact the Baseball Hall of Fame and ask what they have in their photo file for him:
http://abner.baseballhalloffame.org/search/dhoy/dhoy/1,5,18,B/frameset&FF=dhoy+dummy+1862+1961&3,,4

They will mail you low resolution copies to look at and then you can order prints from those.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

An original playing days photo of Hoy would be hard to find and expensive (if not unaffordable). Maybe his picture appeared on the cover of a magazine or such.

A nice reprint photo can look nice matted and framed with the autograph. It is not uncommon for a quality baseball signed index card or cut, like by Ruth and Cobb, to be framed with a reprint photo. You will see such displays in Mastro and Sotheby's auctions.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Administrator

All great info....

I just contacted those from Brian's link.

They are going to do just what you said... email me low-res images to choose from.

Pretty cool.

Now at least I will have something to frame along with the autograph... and if I ever want to replace it with something more of a "collectible" I always can.

Thanks for that link! and for all of the posts! much appreciated.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

They may come by USPS mail. I was expecting an e-mail too, but they showed up in my mail box a couple days later, along with an order form.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

For the autograph matter's sake, I add that while original photos of Hoy and other 19th century players are tough, one can find an abundance of original photographs for more modern players, including Cobb, Ruth, DiMaggio, etc.