NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

There's a wealth of information there. I bet with a loupe we can determine the exact timing of the shot.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:50 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmonster View Post
Hi Bryan...no better than this:
Are the numbers on the left of the scoreboard the lineup? If so, check the numbers vs. the known numbers assigned to the players, then you will know who the pitcher is. Probably in the number 9 spot.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 02-11-2019, 05:11 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Here's one I never thought I would be posting, since I am not really a fan of football (soccer), but still cool none the less. I think this is either 1906 or 1907, based on when the players were on Sunderland. Some of the players I could not find anything on. Those I know are Tommy Tait, Billy Hogg, Angus McIntosh, Jimmy Gemmell, James Watson, English McConnell, and Arthur Bridgett. Anyone know the others?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunderland001-horz.jpg (77.9 KB, 1084 views)

Old 02-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Jim Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
There's a wealth of information there. I bet with a loupe we can determine the exact timing of the shot.
Hi Jeff....I spent about an hour looking through a magnifying glass but couldn't come up with the teams to check against their 1913 schedules. I started to use some profane language.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23 001.jpg (71.2 KB, 1058 views)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 PM
Greg

Thanks Leon....

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War
Jackie, Ruth, Cobb, Tickets, Type 1 Photos, Trout

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Successful Net54 Transactions: 10
Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Hi Bryan...no better than this:
If that’s Matty in the picture, and it really is from August 1913, then I’m pretty sure the picture was taken on Tuesday, August 26, when Matty shut out the Reds 1-0. In the two games on the right side of the scoreboard, “PITTS” is the visiting team in the top game, and “PHILA” is the home team in the bottom game. In August 1913, the Giants played at home from the 14th through the 27th, with Matty pitching three of those games, on the 16th, the 21st, and the 26th. But the game on the 16th was against Pittsburgh, so that can’t be this game, assuming that the scoreboard listed the present game first in the upper left, as was/is standard practice at ballparks. On August 21, Matty best the Cubs at home, but Pittsbugh played at Philadelphia, so the scoreboard doesn’t fit. On August 26, however, Pittsbugh played at Boston and St. Louis played at Philadelphia, which fits the scoreboard in the picture.

We can also tell that it’s the top of the first with two outs, and the pitcher appears to be looking at a runner on first. The Reds did not score in the top of the first in that August 26 game, but Retrosheet doesn’t have play by play info, just the box score. If there is a runner on first, then the (unseen) batter would be Armando Marsans.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 AM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
If that’s Matty in the picture, and it really is from August 1913, then I’m pretty sure the picture was taken on Tuesday, August 26, when Matty shut out the Reds 1-0. In the two games on the right side of the scoreboard, “PITTS” is the visiting team in the top game, and “PHILA” is the home team in the bottom game. In August 1913, the Giants played at home from the 14th through the 27th, with Matty pitching three of those games, on the 16th, the 21st, and the 26th. But the game on the 16th was against Pittsburgh, so that can’t be this game, assuming that the scoreboard listed the present game first in the upper left, as was/is standard practice at ballparks. On August 21, Matty best the Cubs at home, but Pittsbugh played at Philadelphia, so the scoreboard doesn’t fit. On August 26, however, Pittsbugh played at Boston and St. Louis played at Philadelphia, which fits the scoreboard in the picture.

We can also tell that it’s the top of the first with two outs, and the pitcher appears to be looking at a runner on first. The Reds did not score in the top of the first in that August 26 game, but Retrosheet doesn’t have play by play info, just the box score. If there is a runner on first, then the (unseen) batter would be Armando Marsans.

Love this stuff. And to confirm David's scenario of there being 2 outs and a Reds runner on first, that situation happened. I found the play by play (see below). Looks like Groh was on first with two outs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcThe_Evening_World_Tue__Aug_26__1913_.jpg (88.9 KB, 1010 views)
Old 02-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Derek Granger

This board never ceases to amaze me!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 PM

Default Newer postcards?

Was wondering if there might be a thread covering post war postcards somewhere I.E Dormand, Ford Tigers, Bill and Bob's and generic club issues etc. ?
Referral would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sealmark
Old 02-13-2019, 12:43 PM
Jay Cee

Just stumbled into this 2014 episode of the Antique Roadshow. Not sure who the appraiser is, but his estimate value seems very low, even four years ago! Maybe they were trying to buy the cards after the show since the owner bought them for ten bucks from a garage sale.

https://www.tpt.org/antiques-roadsho...postcard-sets/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9247.jpg (66.8 KB, 967 views)
Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Bry@n

1906 RPPC of the Lancaster Red Roses (there is a print version that is more common). I haven't lined up face ids yet, but the team had Cy Barger, Bill Chappelle, Rube Dessau, Patsy Dougherty, Tom Downey, Bull Durham, Ed Lennox, and Chief Meyers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1906 Lancaster Red Roses a.jpg (70.2 KB, 1050 views)
Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 PM
bR!@N R0+H

I'm going for the run of early 30's Tigers postcards and landed this unused one recently. I have also discovered that there are color variations of some, which will lead me on more chases.

Greenberg collection

Last edited by Zan; 02-13-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Dan Bretta

Just picked this up today. It is a printers block for a circa 1907 Columbia Ball Park in Philadelphia Postcard. I don't own the postcard shown in the last pic, I just wanted to show which postcard was made from this block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg columbia1.jpg (43.8 KB, 1008 views)
File Type: jpg columbia2.jpg (74.5 KB, 993 views)
File Type: jpg columbia.jpg (77.8 KB, 1003 views)
Old 02-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmark View Post
Was wondering if there might be a thread covering post war postcards somewhere I.E Dormand, Ford Tigers, Bill and Bob's and generic club issues etc. ?
Referral would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sealmark
Mark, there is a small thread over on the postwar side. I love postwar baseball cards and will probably start posting to this thread soon.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ight=postcards
Old 02-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Jim Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post

David,

Thank you for taking the time to research this photo. Great job! I couldn't make out the teams on the scoreboard, now I can see Pitts, St. Louis and Philly.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Jim Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
Love this stuff. And to confirm David's scenario of there being 2 outs and a Reds runner on first, that situation happened. I found the play by play (see below). Looks like Groh was on first with two outs.
Peter,

Great find, seems to tie David's research all together. Thank you.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:38 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Just stumbled into this 2014 episode of the Antique Roadshow. Not sure who the appraiser is, but his estimate value seems very low, even four years ago! Maybe they were trying to buy the cards after the show since the owner bought them for ten bucks from a garage sale.

https://www.tpt.org/antiques-roadsho...postcard-sets/
definitely a low estimate...but most appear to have holes in them! A more accurate etimate nowadays would be more like 40K or so!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:49 PM
Jim Schneider

Default Cleveland League Park Postcard

Another postcard requiring some experts to help ID the players. I've identified the ballpark as the old wooden version of League Park and the players also appear to be wearing 1909 Cleveland home uniforms. The action seems to be a rundown between 1st and 2nd with Lajoie probably playing 2nd base. Bob Rhoads pitcher?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 002.jpg (73.7 KB, 945 views)
File Type: jpg 5 003.jpg (75.5 KB, 949 views)

Last edited by Greenmonster; 02-16-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Jim, here you go on Matty.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248591
Old 02-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Jim Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Jim View Post
Thanks Jim. Great job on the research!
Old 02-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Marty H.

I love these minor league PC's. Nice pick-up Bryan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
1906 RPPC of the Lancaster Red Roses (there is a print version that is more common). I haven't lined up face ids yet, but the team had Cy Barger, Bill Chappelle, Rube Dessau, Patsy Dougherty, Tom Downey, Bull Durham, Ed Lennox, and Chief Meyers.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:14 PM
Dan Bretta

NL President John Tener at Cooperstown. Anyone know what year this was? According to the back he is "Eulogizing the originator of baseball" - Abner Doubleday?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tener1.jpg (71.3 KB, 1057 views)
File Type: jpg tener2.jpg (69.1 KB, 1051 views)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:43 PM

Default Post War Postcards

Thanks Dan and by the way I will be submitting a group of 500 to 1000 post war postcards in the next Brockelman auction.
Sealmark
Old 02-17-2019, 10:12 PM
Bry@n

Thanks Marty! I think it is really fun when you can ID the players, but it sure is easy to fall into a Google hole when trying to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyFromCANADA View Post
I love these minor league PC's. Nice pick-up Bryan.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:43 PM
Jim H

my 1962 Ford Motor Company Detroit Tigers730DC3F6-5709-4C97-8CB6-F85852B6C763.jpg
Old 02-18-2019, 12:18 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmark View Post
Thanks Dan and by the way I will be submitting a group of 500 to 1000 post war postcards in the next Brockelman auction.
Sealmark
I will keep an eye out. Thanks
Old 02-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Peter F

Quote:
Another postcard requiring some experts to help ID the players. I've identified the ballpark as the old wooden version of League Park and the players also appear to be wearing 1909 Cleveland home uniforms. The action seems to be a rundown between 1st and 2nd with Lajoie probably playing 2nd base. Bob Rhoads pitcher?
Jim - so I took some time to look into this one. I agree that the player (pitcher) in the back is wearing a 1909 (or earlier) Cleveland home uniform. Then I thought to check to see which umpire that is. From there I figured I can find home games where that ump, umped first base.

The ump in that pc looks pretty young. In 1909 Billy Evans was 25. The next youngest ump was Bull Perrine at 32. So maybe it's Evans. He umped either solo (from behind the pitchers mound?) or 1B thirteen times in Cleveland in 1909. Against six different teams. So now let's look at the base runner's uniform.

Checking Dressed to the Nines, I am having a hard time placing the base runner's uniform. I'll spare everyone the details but according to that book, no AL team had white/gray caps with that thin stripe for their road jerseys, except Chicago. But their road jerseys were dark.

So I dunno Jim. I do think the first baseman could be the big right handed George Stovall, the second sacker could be Lajoie and even Rhodes the pitcher, but I am not sure how to take any of this further.

If anyone can confirm the team uniform of the base runner that could only help whittle it down a bit. And that's IF we think it's Billy Evans. (See pic below of him from 1910)

Hope this helps? lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n54pcevans1910.jpg (68.4 KB, 997 views)
File Type: jpg n54pc.jpg (73.7 KB, 985 views)

Last edited by WillowGrove; 02-19-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:14 AM
E. Angyal

Default Does the baserunner

have a glove on his hand? If so, why?

Angyale
Old 06-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Dan Bretta

Time to resurrect this classic thread.

c1910 Oxford (Nebraska) Indians baseball team
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oxford.jpg (79.5 KB, 890 views)
Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 AM
Dave Fa*st

Love the postcards. PC's may be the only thing left that haven't been tinkered with by scam artists over the years.

fullsizeoutput-193fullsizeoutput-19b
fullsizeoutput-1b6fullsizeoutput-17d
Old 07-22-2019, 12:49 AM

Default Mathewson

This pitcher is right handed – that eliminates Rube Marquard

The scoreboard indicates it is at the start of the game, so this would be a “Starting Pitcher.” There appears to be no score, so this must be the “top” of the inning – Giant pitcher on the mound

Four teams came to town in the month of August 1913 – St. Louis Cardinals, Pittsburg Pirates, Chicago Cubs, and Cincinnati Reds.

Based on the size of the crowd (small), I doubt the opponents were the Pirates or the Cubs, who both had winning records – as did the Giants. That leaves the Cardinals and the Reds.

With the exception of Rube Marquard, all of the Giants pitchers that pitched in these two series were right handed.

The size of the crowd likely indicates the game is not on a weekend. The Cardinals played a double header on Thursday and one on Friday. The Reds played on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday – both teams had a losing record.

Jeff Tesreau (right handed), pitched the second game of a double header on Thursday 14 Aug 1913 – the pitcher looks like him, but a double header would have probably drawn a larger crowd.

The Giants starting pitchers against the Reds (3 game series) were Doc Crandal (right handed), Mathewson (right handed), and Art Fromme (right handed)

Fromme pitched against Mordecai Brown – probably would have been a big crowd

Mathewson would have probably had a big crowd

Doc Crandal pitched against Red Ames – Monday, 25 Aug 1913. My educated guess is that this is Doc Crandal on the mound. I certainly could be wrong, but I believe it looks like him also.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:45 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Finally a Dingman. This one was sent by Harl Maggert. Love it. Anyone know who John Edgar was? He had some way of knowing Maggert from the Springfield Ponies. Lifted the image from the auction, I’m feeling too lazy to scan it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87BF793C-6EC3-462A-9FEC-99117B16423D.jpg (21.2 KB, 781 views)
File Type: jpg 373F6AA8-484D-47E5-B2BC-E3D4054E2213.jpg (20.6 KB, 779 views)

Old 10-19-2019, 04:34 PM
Dan Bretta

Just got this in the mail today. c1910 Nebraska Indians RPPC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rppcnebi.jpg (78.0 KB, 735 views)
Old 10-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Clint

That’s a great pickup Dan! Was this a known version or totally new to you?
Old 10-19-2019, 05:44 PM
Dan Bretta

It was known to me. Dave E has one that was postmarked I believe they are in Belleville, Wisconsin in this photo.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:44 PM
Mike Reid

Got this back from PSA.1803A16E-EFB4-41AA-9DEC-ADF25A19A884.jpg
Old 10-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Tyson

Hey!
Came across this post by accident, but may have an ID on the pitcher... Willie Mitchell...
Check out this photo from recent Robert Edwards auction... Mitchell was a lefty...
https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...llie-mitchell/
Old 10-28-2019, 10:00 AM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Hey!
Came across this post by accident, but may have an ID on the pitcher... Willie Mitchell...
Check out this photo from recent Robert Edwards auction... Mitchell was a lefty...
https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...llie-mitchell/
This was meant for Jim Schneider (Greenmonster) and his 1909 photo of the Indiams rundown...
Old 10-29-2019, 11:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Postcard collecting

Being a little more picky lately. The postcard has to have something really eye catching or interesting....

Old 10-29-2019, 12:23 PM
Derek Granger

Leon - I saw that one. I think it said it's 8x10 in the listing. Mighty big for a postcard, but extremely cool, and certainly unique, IMO.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:26 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Leon - I saw that one. I think it said it's 8x10 in the listing. Mighty big for a postcard, but extremely cool, and certainly unique, IMO.
Postcards can come in Jumbo Size too. I collect Disneyland postcards and there are about 30 different close to the same size as this homemade Bender card.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:55 PM
Dave Johnson

Just acquired this one recently, finally had a chance to share here. This one is a toughie
Old 11-17-2019, 11:29 PM
Eric Moskowitz

Hi, I'm new here — I found Net54 while digging into the 1970s evolution of the hobby, as I was doing some research (characteristic over-reporting) to inform this piece I did for the Atlantic about the rise of breaking and the unexpected turns the contemporary card world has taken: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-weird/598345/

All of that deep-dive history necessarily had to get cut for space — I had 2,000 words to work with, and a general-interest audience — but I relished getting lost in the scans of old issues of The Trader Speaks and the Card Collectors' Co. newsletter. What a great resource to find that stuff scanned here!

I was part of the "junk wax" demographic bubble, and collected most intensively as a middle schooler (1990-93), drifted away in the mid-90s, and just came back to modern/contemporary sports cards recently. But I've always had the collecting bug/gene, and always been interested in history; I've been an antique postcard collector for 20 years, and have a few thousand cards, including several hundred RPPCs, many of them vernacular images of baseball and other sports from the early 1900s. ... So I'm really excited to find this thread in particular, and wonder if any of you might bring more insight or expertise to bear on cards I haven't been able to ID.

Here's one I picked up recently, for just a few dollars. The building in the background (and non-stadium setting for an in-uniform pic) makes me think these aren't major leaguers, but there's a crispness and polish to the players that made this card stand out to me from the usual bedraggled look of amateur/town/factory teams on RPPCs. Somebody wrote "Tom and ----" above the heads of the two players, though it's pretty faint now. The second name looks like it ends "-try." It's possible it says "Autry," though it looks like there's a dot for an "i" above the name — making it possible also that someone was trying to write "Christy" but scrambled the letters and put an "r" between the "t" and the "y." Anyone, curious if anyone can make anything of it. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 baseball players copy.jpg (9.9 KB, 482 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 11:34 PM
Eric Moskowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm79 View Post
HSomebody wrote "Tom and ----" above the heads of the two players, though it's pretty faint now. The second name looks like it ends "-try." It's possible it says "Autry," though it looks like there's a dot for an "i" above the name — making it possible also that someone was trying to write "Christy" but scrambled the letters and put an "r" between the "t" and the "y." Anyone, curious if anyone can make anything of it. Thanks in advance!
Here's a close-up crop of the heads and writing. I tried to submit a higher-res version, but it looks like I bumped up against the size limit for attachments...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 baseball players closeup copy.jpg (74.6 KB, 482 views)
Old 11-25-2019, 04:07 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

This is a really awesome thread! I am still working my way through it but wanted to give kudos to you guys. I am beginning to be drawn to collecting a few of these as well. It's the images themselves, the visual appeal, the moment in time that I am finding myself drawn to. Sometimes the lithography of cards of the prewar era just doesn't offer the image that a postcard offers.

I have drifted all over the place during my collecting life---cards (sets then just singles), photos, prewar, postwar...I have even been buying modern cards lately! While I am a fan of particular players/teams, I find I am really liking prewar postcards featuring old major league ballparks and the surrounding buildings/skyline that can be seen nearby. As a card collector, I didn't like team cards, but I like them when it comes to postcards, especially noteworthy teams. One postcard offers a nice picture of multiple HOFers. I am baffled that the collecting of these isn't more widespread than it is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2019, 05:03 PM
Hank Thomas

I think any team with one or more Hall of Famers is going to do very well. And even for the obscure teams, it's a good bet more than one collector is really into local baseball stuff. Even "generic" teams that haven't been identified are cool looking--and these are somebody's grandparents!
Old 11-25-2019, 05:51 PM
Clint

Dwight Eisenhower, Abilene High School, 1909.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAAB7F52-3682-471D-A973-2D91B7E1F315.jpg (18.0 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg 03811C46-8E81-4049-8F77-9CB8431B54B1.jpg (6.5 KB, 404 views)
Old 12-02-2019, 08:09 AM
Chris W

I tried staying out of the postcard market so there goes that. From the writing on the back of the Max Carey PC, it looks like it came from the family of player James Viox, who's applying the tag on Max. Circa 1916.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Max Carey RPPC.jpg (70.3 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg Pinkerton Babe Adams.jpg (70.2 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates extension postcard.jpg (74.3 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg Abby.jpg (69.8 KB, 374 views)
Old 12-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Mike Dugan

Chris the Max Carey postcard photo was taken at Whittington Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Great cards!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Bry@n

A couple cool team PCs. I have always really liked the Burke & Atwell image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 Burke & Atwell As c.jpg (75.9 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg PC 1909 Pirates c.jpg (73.2 KB, 350 views)

Last edited by Jobu; 12-14-2019 at 02:53 PM.