NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
Hi-
I recently acquired the Cobb snapshots (along with the Ruth I posted in the Bambino thread) shown below at the Wilmington MA card show. I really like the one where he is smiling, but the other two showing him at bat are really cool as well. I will be researching the games played later in the week.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Cool Cobb snaps!

BTW, I've never seen the Detroit "D" in that font on Cobber's jersey in the last photo. Very cool!

Any of you Detroit uniform experts know if this was a uniform that the Tigers wore for any length of time? I'm used to seeing the Old English D....
Old 11-07-2011, 06:58 PM
George

Very nice Alan! I'm sorry I missed you on Saturday...was stuck at the SGC booth : (

Hi Scott, I was previously trying to identify a Detroit Tigers player and one of the board members shared with me this excellent site. From the site, it looks like the Tigers wore this style uniform from 1918-1920.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...ines/index.htm

Last edited by aquarius31; 11-07-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: edited website
Old 11-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Mikeknapp

Default JIm Thorpe

Very nice Cobb pics. I picked up this 1931 photo of Jim Thorpe today. I thought the headress was classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim_Thorpe.jpg (74.6 KB, 527 views)
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius31 View Post
Very nice Alan! I'm sorry I missed you on Saturday...was stuck at the SGC booth : (

Hi Scott, I was previously trying to identify a Detroit Tigers player and one of the board members shared with me this excellent site. From the site, it looks like the Tigers wore this style uniform from 1918-1920.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...ines/index.htm
Thanks for the info George!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Dan Bretta

Great snapshots Alan...here's the box score from that game.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=191808210NYA
Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Very Cool Thorpe photo, it was used on an exhibit card-

Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Mikeknapp

This is my first time ever seeing that exhibit. It's quite impressive. I have always been fascinated by Thorpe. The photo is the only item featuring him in my collection as I tend to stick to baseball. I seem to be buying a number of these photos lately. This one came in the mail today. I am not a football fan and I'm a 3rd generation Yankee hater. Nonetheless Don Larsen and the NY Giants together with the Stadium facade in the background was irresistible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Don Larsen 2.jpg (82.1 KB, 415 views)
Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Jeff

Picked up autographs of Al Bridwell, Rick Ferrell and Joe Wood. The Al Birdwell is particularly interesting. In his note he mentions he'll sign the cards despite his failing health. Note is dated August 13, 1968 and he passed away less than 5 months later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlBridwellSignedIndexCard3.jpg (54.9 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg RickFerrellSignedIndexCard1.jpg (46.5 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg JoeWoodSignedIndexCard1.jpg (42.0 KB, 402 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!

Last edited by jb217676; 11-08-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Mike H.

Default Tigers Mug

Im very excited about adding this super rare Neff Pottery Tigers mug to my collection.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Adam B

Congrats on the Tigers Neff pottery mug Mike. Nice score.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 PM

Default Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Im very excited about adding this super rare Neff Pottery Tigers mug to my collection.

Nice pick up Mike....I don't recall ever seeing one before...how old is it...how many have you seen?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:04 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

They're from the late 40s / early 50s. Here are some other variations....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Pittsb...01753080743973

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-Boston...-/160671946267

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Clevel...41158328933524

http://huntauctions.com/phone/imagev...3&lot_num=1086

I believe Mike's Tigers example to be among the toughest, with Indians being the most common.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Mike H.

Thanks for kuddos guys. I agree with Mark regarding the scarcity. I've never seen the Tiger before.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Adam B

DSC00522.jpgThis is the first pinback I've added to my collection in a looong time and real thrilled to add it to my collection. Actually, it is not a pin, but an advertising mirror with a baseball theme.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:49 AM
Brock

Quote:
Thanks for kuddos guys. I agree with Mark regarding the scarcity. I've never seen the Tiger before.
First Tigers example I've seen as well. Nice pickup Mike.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Adam B

Quote:
I have only seen two at shows over the years and they were priced in the $150 range. The same eBay seller of the Indians, Braves and Pirates that Mark posted the links for has had the Tigers version for sale in his eBay store for a long time. Did you just discover this mug Mike? Glad to see you found it and assume you purchased it from the same seller because he no longer has one for sale. I almost pulled the trigger on it a few times but didn't and probably took for granted that it would be available whenever I wanted to purchase. Congrats. If you ever want to part with it let me know.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Mike H.

Adm...I did purchase off ebay from that seller. I stumbled upon it when looking over Brock's Stanford pottery Tiger. I couldn't believe I didn't see it sooner. Better late than never
Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default PCL Ball

1927 PCL Champion Oakland Oaks Team Signed Ball with Jimmie Reese, Buzz Arlett and a rookie Ernie Lombardi...

Tom C
Old 11-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Belltown Vintage

That's a gorgeous ball, and went very low - very nice pick-up. Boy, there were some nice autographed baseballs in Heritage tonight. Ruths galore.

I picked up a few cabinets in Heritage tonight - the KC Blues lot, the KC Blues large cabinet, the Pittsburgh lot, and a nice Springfield Ponies. These were my favorites:

Last edited by Runscott; 11-12-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Belltown Vintage

One More:

Last edited by Runscott; 11-12-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 AM

Default Great ball!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
1927 PCL Champion Oakland Oaks Team Signed Ball with Jimmie Reese, Buzz Arlett and a rookie Ernie Lombardi...

Tom C
Tom,
I agree with Scott that that really is a great ball. Congrats on your pickup!

BTW, Jimmie Reese was sure a great guy to know. For those of you that don't know this, Jimmie was famous for being one of Babe Ruth's roomies (1930-1931) when he played on the NY Yankees. He used to joke about the fact that he actually only roomed with the Babe's suitcase, but he never saw Ruth because he was always out on the town carousing...

I personally got a chance to talk to Jimmie for many years as a season ticket holder with the California Angels, where he was an absolute wizard with a fungo bat all the way into his 90's. The things that he could do with that magic fungo bat would make your head spin! He was regarded as the most prolific fungo hitter in baseball history.

To say that Jimmie Reese was an absolute baseball treasure is a major understatement. He had many friends throughout baseball in every city as Jimmie was involved in baseball for over 78 seasons. He broke into his baseball career as a batboy for the Los Angeles Angels of the PCL in 1917 and was on the Cal Angels payroll as a conditioning coach until he passed away at 93.

I knew him well enough that I attended his funeral in Santa Ana, CA in 1994. The amount of active and retired baseball players in attendance was staggering; a true testiment to how many people he touched in his life! Not surprisingly he was extremely close with many of the players that played for the Cal Angels through the years. Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson and Jim Abbott were some of his personal favorites...

In my own collection I have saved a number of special Jimmie Reese momentos. My most prized piece related to Jimmie is one of his fungo bats from the 1980's which he personally gave to me. I was also given all of his Christmas cards from the last couple of years that he was alive. Several of the letters that accompanied these were very personal and discussed baseball. Many years ago I was given a copy of the first audio interview of Nolan Ryan and Jimmie Reese in early 1972 when they first bonded. Here are a couple of other items that I saved in his memory:

1) A B/W signed photo of Jimmie in action in 1972 at Anaheim. This was the year that Jimmie joined the Angels coaching staff and Nolan joined the Angels after being traded by the NY Mets for Jim Fregosi. Nolan Ryan credits Jimmie as being influential in having him realize how hard he really needed to work to get into the physical condition to be a consistent winner in baseball.

2) A rather grainy photo (sorry, I'm not a great photographer) of Ryan and Jimmie catching up during batting practice and workout prior to the All Star game in Anaheim in 1989. Despite its lack of clarity, I do love this photo because it shows the enduring great friendship between Nolan and Jimmie Reese. As a side note, Nolan's 2nd born son was named Reese after Jimmie. That's my Ryan game used mitt from 1989 that Nolan is holding in the photo. I've shared photos of this mitt on net54 a couple of times.

3) The memorial program that I received when I attended his funeral in 1994
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jimmie Reese 1972 signed photo.jpg (78.7 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg Nolan and Jimmie Reese All Star game 1989 at Anaheim.jpg (74.1 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg Jimmie Reese funeral program.jpg (85.4 KB, 469 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-12-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default When I first started.....

......the 1st thing I missed out on on Ebay was an ungraded 1919 regular season White/Black Sox Ticket Stub. I meant to bid but was new to Ebay and hit the bid button too late. Been kickin' myself ever since.

I've been watching weekly for years and have never seen a regular season stub come up again, seen plenty of World Series ones, but not regular season, so finally I have redeemed myself.

(Very neat 1919 home schedule on the back)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1919.jpg (70.6 KB, 430 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 11-12-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Brock

This jumbo panoramic postcard has always been an item that caught my eye, so I am extremely excited to add this very nice condition example to my collection. Included with the postcard were 2 ticket stubs. One for the Sox game against the Tigers on June 26 1911 where the original owner purchased the postcard, and one for the Cubs game the day before where they took on the Pirates. Makes me wonder if this guy purchased the West Side Park version of this postcard when he went to see the Cubbies?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg postcard.jpg (59.1 KB, 369 views)
Old 11-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockJacob View Post
This jumbo panoramic postcard has always been an item that caught my eye, so I am extremely excited to add this very nice condition example to my collection. Included with the postcard were 2 ticket stubs. One for the Sox game against the Tigers on June 26 1911 where the original owner purchased the postcard, and one for the Cubs game the day before where they took on the Pirates. Makes me wonder if this guy purchased the West Side Park version of this postcard when he went to see the Cubbies?
Brock,
I would suspect that you are correct, FWIW. Congrats!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:48 AM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
One More:

That is awesome!

Regards,

Richard.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Mike Dugan

Great Pirates cabinet Runscott- The photo was taken at Whittington Park in Hot Springs, AR during Spring Training!

Check out the cleats on the ground to our left on the photo. The players rode the street car about ten blocks from the old Majestic Hotel to the park for workouts. They usually spent most of the morning walking on the mountains. Player seated front right appears to have his hiking shoes on?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 AM

1909 World Series Game 1 Ball (From Paddy O'Connor Collection - *played backup Catcher on Pirates that year, WS Roster)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wsgame1.JPG (46.3 KB, 288 views)
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Dan Brown

Awesome pickup!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
1909 World Series Game 1 Ball (From Paddy O'Connor Collection - *played backup Catcher on Pirates that year, WS Roster)
Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Great Pirates cabinet Runscott- The photo was taken at Whittington Park in Hot Springs, AR during Spring Training!

Check out the cleats on the ground to our left on the photo. The players rode the street car about ten blocks from the old Majestic Hotel to the park for workouts. They usually spent most of the morning walking on the mountains. Player seated front right appears to have his hiking shoes on?
Thanks Mike, Richard. Mike, thanks for the info on the photo - I picked up 19 cabinets from the O'Connor lots and will create a web-page for them when they arrive.

I also really loved that World Series ball - that's the kind of game-used thing I wouldn't mind owning, and if I hang out with you guys enough, I'll eventually succumb
Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockJacob View Post
Isn't that the White Sox park that was re-vamped in March, 1911 to be used by Rube Foster's team? If so, he probably bought the postcard the previous season.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Matt

Picked these up today.. the top one is not felt.. does anyone know how old it is?
Thanks
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (77.8 KB, 573 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (76.8 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (81.1 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (85.0 KB, 580 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 11-14-2011, 03:19 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
Picked these up today.. the top one is not felt.. does anyone know how old it is?
Thanks
Matt
Great looking pennants!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Thanks Mike, Richard. Mike, thanks for the info on the photo - I picked up 19 cabinets from the O'Connor lots and will create a web-page for them when they arrive.

I also really loved that World Series ball - that's the kind of game-used thing I wouldn't mind owning, and if I hang out with you guys enough, I'll eventually succumb
its a nice peice, i was really happy with the price. I collect alot of HOF gamers....and like the more documented, the better...

Once you get hooked on Gamers, its hard to turn ( i played ball for 20+ years...i think that contributes for respect of the skill)
Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Thanks
Matt
Wow!!! Those are amazing. Congrats.
Doug
Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Thanks
Matt
Matt:

Good news and bad....

Bad news first... The top one is a repro- albeit an older reproduction pennant. It was probably made in the late '80s. There is a very similar NY Giants example out there. Both of them surface somewhat frequently. This one still has value, but if properly disclosed as a repro, it only realizes $30 or so. If sold on ebay as original (which it often mistakenly is), it tends to sell in the $75 - $85 range. Novice collectors will shell out this amount ,where advanced collectors (with deeper pockets) know the difference and typically stay away.

The good news... The bottom pennant is extremely rare and desirable. In nice condition (which yours looks to be) it is a $550 - $650 pennant. These rarely surface, and when they do, they're usually tattered. This one (with the names in the bunting) is a very difficult + popular variation.
Congrats!

Last edited by perezfan; 11-14-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Max Weder

Wonder what came in the mail today.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:02 AM
Phil Garry

Max:

Probably a W600, does the size of the envelope look right for that?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Greenberg collection
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM
GaryPassamonte

This may not be baseball, but it's definitely a circa 1850s daguerreotype showing a ball. Though unknowable with certainty, the earliest images showing baseballs, or any baseball equipment for that matter, may be the handful of dags of children that show balls. Many early children's books refer to base ball being played by children. Though unable to prove, I'd like to romantically think this boy is showing us his prized baseball in this image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bballdag.jpg (70.1 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 11-17-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Belltown Vintage

Very nice, Gary. For the price (I seem to remember that one on ebay recently), I don't think you can go wrong with such a piece.

I personally think it's Alexander Cartwright's child, playing with one of the balls that AJC saved from the first baseball game ever.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
GaryPassamonte

Scott-There is a straw hat in the picture. Knickerbockers? Maybe you're on to something.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 AM
GaryPassamonte

Not great, but circa 1865 CDV with equipment. Blank backed so I can't ID.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6465.jpg (45.9 KB, 497 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 11-18-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:10 AM

Default A couple of new early Johnny Vander Meer pickups

I recently picked up two neat early Vandy items to add to my collection. Both items are from the 1937-1939 era.

1) Extremely rare Johnny Vander Meer and Frank McCormick Huskies Cereal promotional postcard. It looks to have possibly been a Cincinnati regional promotion based on the info on the back of the postcard. Circa 1937-1938

2) Great Draper and Maynard advertising piece re: a D & M Johnny Vander Meer endorsed baseball circa 1938-1939. This page was removed from a Stollberg Hardware (Toledo, OH) catalog produced in the period. A great look at many vintage baseballs sold back in the day. Check out the baseball prices ranging from 10 cents to about $1.75 cents each depending on your budget... Vandy's ball went for 60 cents a throw....

What a deal!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-21-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Mikeknapp

I picked up these three photos today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type_I_1929_Rogers_Hornsby.jpg (75.9 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1934_Dizzy_Dean.jpg (72.0 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1947_Robin_Roberts.jpg (72.9 KB, 420 views)
Old 11-20-2011, 06:47 PM

Just picked up this extremely popular 1947 "I'M ROOTING FOR JACKIE ROBINSON" Dodgers Pin.

1947-Im-Rooting-for-JACKIE-Pin.jpg
Old 11-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Great pinback Jimmy -- almost bid on that one, now I'm glad I didn't. But please stick to photos from now on!
I won the Joe Cronin from the same seller, but am not good at posting photos from ebay.

Greg
Old 11-21-2011, 04:00 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Jimmy,

I was vying for that pin as well. Glad to see you get it. I've seem a few hit eBay over the last month, and they are all pulling in a strong price.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 AM

Default 1909 Boston Americans ticket- Great game!!

I picked up a great early baseball ticket today. This scarce dated Boston Americans ticket from 1909 between the Bostons and their opponents the Detroit Tigers is historic for quite a number of reasons.

The pitching matchups of the day were Boston's Smoky Joe Wood and Detroit's ace hurler George Mullin. Smoky Joe was just beginning his pitching career; 1909 was his first season as a regular starter for Boston. George Mullen was completing his career season in which he won 29 games en route to the Tigers appearing in their 3rd consecutive World Series.

Smoky Joe and the Bostons prevailed in this game 9-7, beating the AL's top hurler Mullen in a season that he lost very few.

Not to worry for the Tigers faithful though, as the Tigers CLINCHED their 3rd consecutive AL pennant, backing into a championship because the Chicago White Sox eliminated the 2nd place Philadelphia A's on Sept. 30, 1909. For the year, Detroit led the AL by 3 1/2 games as the Philly A's faded down the stretch...

The Tigers won 98 games in 1909 riding the backs of the heroics of 29 game winner Mullen and the Triple Crown year of Ty Cobb. The Georgia Peach's historic Triple Crown season included batting .377, driving in 107 and hitting a whopping 9 homers- all inside the park. Interesting note: In actuality, Cobb was the only player to ever win the QUADRUPLE CROWN as he also led all baseball in stolen bases in 1909!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-21-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Graig Kreindler

Damn, Scott - a FANTASTIC acquisition. Bravo!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 AM

Default 1937 Yankees

Was lucky enough to pick up this 1937 Yankees team signed sheet with a pencil Lou Gehrig signature on it at a small auction in Michigan. However, congratulations also must go out to the other bidder who bid against me on this lot. He won several 1937/1938 Whos Whos books for $53.00. Inside he found several signatures on one page which no one else spotted and among them on a Pirates photo page were Pie Traynorboth Waners and a nice Honus Wagner....bummer for me--I should have looked much closer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1937lou.jpg (74.9 KB, 279 views)