NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

Posted By: Dwight Davis

I just realized a new way to save on shipping the cards you sell... Charge a reasonable price for shipping $2 - $5, but only put a 39 cent stamp on the envelope. That way, when the card arrives the buyer has to pay the reminder of the postage.
A card I bought arrived in this manner yesterday. I ponied up 72 cents for postage due. I had no problem with the card, except it was mailed with no protection aside from the top loader in which it was placed.
Won't buy from this guy again.
Sorry, had to vent.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

Posted By: Steve Dawson

If it was from ebay, I hope you gave him a negative...that kind of "service" is bullsh!t!!!

Steve

Old 11-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

It was from Ebay. I didn't give him a negative for fear he may contrive a reason to give me one. I don't plan to post any feedback.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

Posted By: Matt

Dwight - while I understand the fear for negative feedback retaliation, wouldn't you have appreciated it if someone who he did this to before had given him the neg so you could have seen before you bought? My feedback looks horrible because I give negs when deserved (and get the retaliation) and I would hope others would as well. If you are a seller, then consider getting a second ebay ID just for buying so a low feedback won't impact your income.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

Posted By: howard

Give the guy a chance to make good. Tell him what happened and ask him to deposit the amount you laid out into your paypal account. It could have been an honest mistake.

Howard

Old 11-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

"it was mailed with no protection aside from the top loader in which it was placed."

How could that be a mistake?

Old 11-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

Posted By: howard

True, I missed that part. I was just thinking of the postage. The guy doesn't sound too bright.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

The postage thing could have been a mistake. I thought about that. I don't care at all about the 72 cents. But not protecting the card any better was pretty careless. I was put off by the combination of the two. It was only a T206 common and less than $30, but still.. You're right, though. I think I should contact him before I post a neg. Maybe there is a good explanation.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

I got a $150 card in a penny sleeve in a white plain envelope after paying the seller $5 for shipping. When I contacted the seller, I was responded to with the most vile profanity laced email I have seen in a while. Needless to say, there was a neg (and of course the ridiculous retaliatory neg calling me a liar).

Old 11-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

Posted By: David Goff

You could complain to your local PO. I was overcharged $13 on a non-baseball (it was a Maker's Mark bottle)item. I went up to my post office and talked to the post master about how I was over charged for shipping and she said it could constitute a postal fraud and I could file a complaint with them against the seller. I know for just a couple of bucks, it might not be worth it, but for future reference.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

Posted By: Bob

What's funny is I send everything out priority mail with a delivery confirmation and cgarge a flat $4.50 (which is actually less than the actual cost). Sometimes I have had to pay as much as $6 extra but just ate it since I charged a flat $4.50. When I went to the new ebay seller star system, everything was perfect except the column for shippping being reasonable which was the top star but only half filled (sellers will know what I mean). I have never made a penny on shipping so I figure WTF. I guess people think shipping should be $2.00 or $2.50 no matter if you use first class, media or priority.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

Posted By: Eric B

I agree. Most people do think shipping should be $2.00 to $2.50 and that paying $4.50 for a service (priority) which saves maybe a day off delivery is not worth it.

But I guess that's what the feedback shipping line of stars is for - those who charge a lot.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

Why not then just give the buyer the option? Then they're the one making the decision to pay more, not you.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

Posted By: Bob

Matt- probably a good point but if you tell someone ahead of time the priority mail shipping is $4.50 and includes a free delivery confirmation, then I would assume 99% of the buyers are fine with it. I really don't care, if someone asks me to slip it in a top loader and send it in a plain envelope for 41 cents and they take the responsbility for loss or damage, I will. I just like the idea of sending a card in a hard holder surrounded by thick cardboard inside an envelope inside a priority mailer with delivery confirmation and think $4.50 is fine. To each his own I guess...

Old 11-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Default Save on shipping

Bob - I agree with your preferred method of shipping, but if you're bothered by the low star rating on the shipping, as it seems you are, the solution is what I suggested since then the buyer can't feel like you overcharged them on shipping if they choose to pay extra for the better shipping.