NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Default NO Private Emails posted on this board - rule

Posted By: Sean C

Apology accepted, Leon.

As for your question, I'll again respond with my question: Would you suspend or ban a board member for sending unsolicited auction spam to your board members? If so, then why would sending unsolicited hateful and/or threatening emails be acceptable?

You mentioned your previous post that you "generally do what the majority wants". So far, it's pretty clear that the board views Bruce's actions as unacceptble at best, an end-around of board policies at worst. He needs to go.

Leon's post

Sean C September 24 2007, 6:32 PM

My apologies. I went a different direction with your post. I still have to contemplate banning someone for private emails but I am closer to that than letting them be posted on the board. Banning is an alternative but still not one I would prefer to do..... Debate is ongoing....I think it's almost unanimous that emails shouldn't be posted...so we can scrap that part of it. Should someone be banned for private emails relating to board issues?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Will I get a nasty hate filled email from JayB?

Daniel

Old 09-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Joann, that's another excellent point. If we've all agreed not to post e-mails, and the person sending the abusive e-mails can't be disciplined by the board's moderator, then how does the recipient of the abusive e-mails fight back?

He or she can't expose the writer of the e-mail to the board and can't go to the moderator for help. I don't know how else to say it, but that's just not cool.

This board has to be one of the least anonymous message board's on the Internet. My e-mail address, blog address and other personal information are readily on this site. Plus the moderator has all of my personal info, including my full name. Other posters have even more personal information available, and we have a rule in place that demands that if you post on controversial topics you give up your anonymity.

All of that requires an enormous amount of trust by and between users of this forum that they won't be attacked in their personal lives simply because they have consented to allow their personal information be available in good faith furtherance of our hobby. That means we trust that other users not to abuse the personal information that we have provided. If someone does abuse that trust we either have to have rules in place to protect us or we could end up seeing people read these horror stories and be less and less willing to share their information in the first place (which means this forum suffers).

Old 09-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Dan, that was a funny post. Not sure which is worse...but it is amusing either way. Bruce's posts don't bother me because I am convinced it is completely an over the top act. As I said earlier, if he had so much disdain for the entire community here he wouldn't post; he clearly enjoys being the bad guy. I find other posts on the board much more offensive as I have little patience for idiocy.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

In answer to your question it is "no". I would not ban a person that sent an unsolicited email from an auction house. Not exactly sure what that means though? Each and every person that posts their email here (I do on every one of my posts) understands it could be the cause of unsolicited email. Not much I can do about that. As far as Bruce staying or going....I would prefer him to stay but tone it down and act in a civil manner and not be so aristocratic on the board. Looking down at others will only generate ill will and that is not what this hobby is about. The hobby is about having fun with our friend collectors and collecting exactly what you can afford and enjoy. I hope this answers your question. Also, since my thread about my phone call with Bruce, I hope we can put this to bed now....(am I using too many commas?)

edited to say one more thing...I can count on 2 fingers the number of board members who have abused private emailing. Neither do it anymore that I am aware of.....but yes, I guess at some point I will protect board members if the emails were instigated from the board....That is somewhat of a duty. I want everyone to be happy (as they can be) not sad...

Old 09-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Does using too many commas make one commatose?

Old 09-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Bruce is not going to change. For whatever reason he posts the way he does, it will remain that way. Although he agreed not to send any more private emails, and that is a positive step, as far as his being more down to earth and a little more compassionate, I don't see that happening. Don't ask me why he won't make a few concessions, and for that matter what pleasure he gets posting on this board in the first place, but it will be business as usual.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

It turns out I was wrong in several of my posts above. In the 18 words (two sentences) in which he bragged about his two Ivy League degrees, Wharton (Magna) 73 actually made 6 errors, not 5 as I stated earlier. 6 mistakes in 18 words describing his two Ivy League degrees - now THAT is funny.

And as to his promise to stop sending private emails ... anyone got the pool going yet?

OK. Sorry Leon. I'll be done now and let it go. But I am permanently disgusted by what he sent Lee. I hope in all honesty that he does stop with the emails as promised.

Joann

Old 09-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Tony:

That is correct. I received a private email that directly responds to the subject matter of my post on this thread, and a bit more as well. Now, I have not read the email that was sent to Lee and Jay so I can't say whether/how it compares, or not. However, there is nothing in mine that I would perceive as a "threatening" tone.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

"It’s not there for you to get phone numbers of chicks in the typing pool to heavy breath on them via the phone on the weekend."

John- how did you know i did that? haha...

when are you coming up to NYC?????

Old 09-26-2007, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I have had many requests for the email and I will honor all of them. If you have the email feel free to send it if asked. I don't understand why this behaviour is even tolerated. He should in the least be suspended. Leon you did it rightly to our 13 yr. old Sean, and this is way beyond anything he did.

Lee

Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Email posting: no.

Banning someone for mining email addresses here and sending hateful emails: Yes, after a warning.

Dorskind = pompous ass(es): yes.

Here's a solution, the same one I implemented after his royal we-nis sent me a nastygram filled with diatribe: spam block him.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I didn't respond to this again but your thoughts are exactly as mine are.....Exactly.....and I have been thinking them since yesterday....I just don't care to always come back and respond. The problem with what the 12 yr old did before (he is much much better now) was that he didn't heed warnings I gave him. If Bruce sends unprovoked emails again it will be dealt with appropriately. I hope he doesn't as he said he won't. Thanks again for being very reasonable. About 95% of this board is reasonable. The other 5% will always be there....as a reality check.