NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:18 PM

nam812,

As I have already mentioned, I never received the additional scans (some 15-20 total), nor any cards. Now that this is a topic, I would very much like the proof that shows I received these scans or cards.

Mike
Old 09-15-2009, 02:54 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

I sent a message to the CU forum user that has more information regarding the missing set. I sent him a link to this thread and asked that he explain the truth ONCE AGAIN that Mike is ignoring and trying to spin the truth.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Your response on another thread about 2 weeks ago:

Quote:
There has only been 1 time that I paid for a group of cards and never received them... the seller sent them (I never question that) and they were either mis-delivered or lost? ...the tracking number indicated that the package was delivered at 10am that morning, but that was not the case since I was mowing my lawn and my mail arrived at 2pm (as always) without the package in my box.
This was supposedly a year ago but you happen to remember that you were mowing the yard at the specific time that the cards were supposedly delivered a year earlier?

BTW, once again there ARE 3 PEOPLE that have responded to this thread that say the about statement is a lie after you failed to receive cards from them or them from you. None of the 3 people that responded are even the 1 you were referring to in the above statement.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Matt Wieder

So nice to see the lurkers posting more frequently.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmays24 View Post
nam812,

As I have already mentioned, I never received the additional scans (some 15-20 total), nor any cards. Now that this is a topic, I would very much like the proof that shows I received these scans or cards.

Mike
Several years back after a discussion about the Topps 1969 4 in 1 stickers on CU I got a pm from Mike asking if I had an extra Mays. I did, but told him that it was part of a extra set I had and did not want to sell just the Mays. He expressed some interest in the set but wanted to see scans. I do not scan worth a darn.

I had successfully bought a high dollar item from Mike previously ( involving 1967 Topps Punch Outs), so I felt ok sending him the set for his review with the understanding he would pay a price, as I recall $ 250 ( because some stickers had loose backing ), or send them back. He says he never recieved them. Maybe he didn't. I let it go. Worse things happen in life. But, when this topic, "sent but not recieved", popped up on CU recently, I just posted that I had already learned my lesson here.

And, no, I can no longer "prove" anything. Nor do I care anymore. The end.

I post as bishop on CU. I post here, but in the post war pre 80 section
Old 09-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Jim VB

Default Why is it...?

Why is it that a couple of times each year, this board gets invaded by escapees from the CU Forum? Invariably these guys are in a "huge" fight over something, have been banned or locked out of that board, and elect to continue it over here. It seems their issue is always over $25-$50, usually in shiny new cards.

Do these guys think we are incompetent? We have many posters on Net 54 who are perfectly capable of mucking up our own board! We don't need help from immigrants from other boards! There are many of us who can start a fight and continue one! We can play offense or defense! We already know the meaning of the word "disfunctional!"

What can we do to take our board back?

(Short of that, what can we do to discuss cards again?)
Old 09-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Scott S

What's the record for sub-off-topic topics within one off-topic thread? This has to be approaching record status here.

Last edited by scooter729; 09-15-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Bill Cauley

I don't post often at all as is apparent by my post count and I lurk a lot. I've picked up a few cards on the B/S/T and sold some T206's a couple of years back. I love to read and learn on these boards and as a result, I've been able to take that information and help out other people on a couple of other boards I go onto once in awhile. I have read this thread and by the end wanted to pull my hair out as it got to the point that it just made no sense anymore. Quite a few people have already stated now that this needs to go private so there really is no need to have another person come to join this mess.

Anyway, that's a lurkers two cents so take it for what you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigers1973 View Post
I sent a message to the CU forum user that has more information regarding the missing set. I sent him a link to this thread and asked that he explain the truth ONCE AGAIN that Mike is ignoring and trying to spin the truth.

Last edited by BCauley; 09-15-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Sorry. First/Second half of my post in no way sound related to each other.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Barry Sloate

I agree with Jim, and Jeff earlier: this argument does not belong on the vintage board, and should be moved to the post war section or deep sixed. There are participants on this thread who are virtually new here, and shouldn't be allowed to conduct this kind of nonsense.

This thread should be locked.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Why is it that a couple of times each year, this board gets invaded by escapees from the CU Forum? Invariably these guys are in a "huge" fight over something, have been banned or locked out of that board, and elect to continue it over here. It seems their issue is always over $25-$50, usually in shiny new cards.

Do these guys think we are incompetent? We have many posters on Net 54 who are perfectly capable of mucking up our own board! We don't need help from immigrants from other boards! There are many of us who can start a fight and continue one! We can play offense or defense! We already know the meaning of the word "disfunctional!"

What can we do to take our board back?

(Short of that, what can we do to discuss cards again?)
I understand what you are saying but we were warning the fellow collectors here about this guy in question.I for one don't want to see anyone get ripped off.I was kind of hoping you guys would send Marshall our way as payback.I thought he was a riot but no such luck.
Mike
Old 09-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmike View Post
I understand what you are saying but we were warning the fellow collectors here about this guy in question.I for one don't want to see anyone get ripped off.I was kind of hoping you guys would send Marshall our way as payback.I thought he was a riot but no such luck.
Mike
Perfectly understandable, but Leon warned people in post #1. By post #10 or so, we, pretty much, knew there were concerns. The last 100 posts (including mine) are all off topic or overkill.

This is a VINTAGE BASEBALL CARD BOARD. Please point me to concerns which are about that subject.

Edited to add:
Will you take Marshall and Bruce?

Last edited by Jim VB; 09-15-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:33 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Now THAT right there is funny!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Heh, For sure, there's a moral to that story somewhere.

On a related topic, I can't for the life of me remember how to pronounce Lajoie

Last edited by Ladder7; 09-15-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Heh, For sure, there's a moral to that story somewhere.

On a related topic, I can't for the life of me remember how to pronounce Lajoie

I used to go with - "Lah-joy", but Rob D insists it is - "Lah-zo-way." I defer to him on this matter.

Thanks Steve!

Last edited by Jim VB; 09-15-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I used to go with - "Lah-joy", but Rob D insists it is - "Lah-zo-way." I defer to him on this matter.

Thanks Steve!
Interestingly enough I adistant relative of Lajoie,My family now spells it Lajoy.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:32 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

My last response.

Found this in one of the PM's on another forum regarding Mike and "the boys".

Quote:
interesting thread about mike and his boys lol.

he is the one who claimed that he never got the cards i sent him (delivery confirmation showed delivered) and he told me his postman was shady etc.

BUT those cards disappeared OFF his wantlists.

The cards were never delivered but they are no longer on his....excuse me....their want list.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Bill Hedin

Rich---
Thanks for the info on Clemente's 73 card!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
The 1973 Clemente is not possible to have been signed. I opened packs from my grocery store in 1973; and those cards were not even in the store until early March.

Rich
Rich,

In the spring of 1973, I was a senior in high school and turned 18, which was legal drinking age back then. I was NOT buying baseball cards in any grocery stores in the Elmira NY area!

Sure glad you remember that year clearly!

Old 09-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Bill Hedin

Hi Anthony,
LOL, great youtube post! By the way, I sent you a money order today for our 2nd deal!
Thanks, my friend,
Bill Hedin
Old 09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
We have many posters on Net 54 who are perfectly capable of mucking up our own board! ... There are many of us who can start a fight and continue one!
Did somebody call me?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Bill Hedin

Default T218 Champions set?

Hi,
nam, is that you that has the truly gorgeous 218 registered set?
I love those cards and was just wanting to say congratulations on a suberb set, if that's you!
All my best,
Bill Hedin
Old 09-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3443 View Post
Hi,
I love those cards and was just wanting to say congratulations on a suberb set, if that's you!
All my best,
Bill Hedin
Nick those sound like fighting words.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3443 View Post
Hi,
All my best,
Bill Hedin
Yes Bill that is me, and thank you very much for your kind words.

Regards, Nick
Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

It's my fault this thread started at all. The reason I started it was obvious. There was someone on our BST that seemed to have some issues, real or not, following him. I feel it is my/the moderators responsibility for alerting other Net54baseball.com members. I mistakenly thought it was someone else with a very close USER ID to the one in question. That was my mistake and for that I am sorry and apologize. As for this thread.....I am not sorry I started it as it needed to be talked about since there were things on our BST that it pertained to ie...the people involved. Regards

Last edited by Leon; 09-15-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Barry Sloate

Why aren't post-war discussions sent over to the post-war side? That's what we have it for, so that we can send these train wrecks over where noone will look at them.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

In March of 1973 a new shipment of blotter had just arrived on campus. I thought I saw a Roberto Clemente signature on the side of the sheet of 100 hits but then again maybe it was floating over the sheet, or maybe it was on the giant caterpillar that was crawling over the overpass that I was driving under. Or wait, maybe that was 1974.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
In March of 1973 a new shipment of blotter had just arrived on campus. I thought I saw a Roberto Clemente signature on the side of the sheet of 100 hits but then again maybe it was floating over the sheet, or maybe it was on the giant caterpillar that was crawling over the overpass that I was driving under. Or wait, maybe that was 1974.
I was only in 8th grade but I thought I saw a Clemente signature after sniffing a freshly printed pop quiz straight off of the mimeograph machine.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Rich Klein

Default I think it was at the end of February in 2007

We had a 400 post thead come out of no where and that was only a few short months after a NY hobby dinner thread that was at the end of 2006.

This thread; NOTHING; compared to those thread in twists and turns/

And; advanced autograph collectors do pay attention to what cards are "possible" to have signed and what cards are "impossible" to have signed.

And to keep this on a pre-WW2 basis; I'd wager that having a Doc Powers signed T-206 card would be nearly impossible

Rich
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Steve Murray

Default Speaking of Doc

I'm still looking for this PC. email jacklitsch@comcast.net

Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
In the summer of 74 I was 4 years old. The sun was going down, my babysitters were sitting on a bench at a park when a green car drove up with a couple losers who started talking to them. They asked me if I wanted a piece of candy and gave me a sugar cube. I woke up and saw bugs crawling everywhere and completely freaked out screaming all night trying to get the bugs off me while my mom kept asking what was wrong. To this day I have a bug phobia.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Why aren't post-war discussions sent over to the post-war side? That's what we have it for, so that we can send these train wrecks over where noone will look at them.
+1
Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

While the thread has gone way long I do agree that it needed to be posted because one of the parties is on this BST and I do think the main board is the right place to have it.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Bill Hedin

Default awesome 4/1 exibits!

Hi Scott,
Is that your ebay store with the stunning 4/1 exibit cards and single player high end graded one as well?
If so, on having these hard to find and very attractive cards.
I look forward to buying some 4/1 cards from you in the future.
Regards,
Bill
bh3443@aol.com
Old 09-16-2009, 05:21 AM
Rich Klein

Default Steve I love that Doc Powers postcard scan

If it were about 100 years later; some one would have created a "signed" version of that complete with "cut signature"

Rich
Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Nick Edson

Default Rogers Hornsby

In response to the question earlier in this thread about Rogers Hornsby's role with the Mets in the early 1960s, former Mets pitcher Jay Hook is a friend of mine. A couple of weeks ago when we were talking about the early Mets teams, he told me Hornsby was a "hitting advisor" for the team. he may also have been doing some scouting. So it's entirely possible for Hornsby to have signed the 1961 Topps card.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 AM

I have seen a 1961 Golden Press card signed by Hornsby so it is probable that he signed a 1961 Topps also.
Mike
Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Tom Boblitt

Leon........please be sure any of these CU immigrants are not going to be eligible under the new Obama health plan. We cannot afford to cover our own Net54 people, much less these immigrants. Fire up the death panels.....
Old 09-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Matt Wieder

Tom - I sent you a Private Message either yesterday or the day before - was it received?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalineman View Post
In response to the question earlier in this thread about Rogers Hornsby's role with the Mets in the early 1960s, former Mets pitcher Jay Hook is a friend of mine. A couple of weeks ago when we were talking about the early Mets teams, he told me Hornsby was a "hitting advisor" for the team. he may also have been doing some scouting. So it's entirely possible for Hornsby to have signed the 1961 Topps card.

If I remember the story correctly, the Mets first hired Hornsby as a scout when they were preparing for the expansion draft. He had a reputation of not being too fond of "modern" ballplayers. He spent the entire 1961 season scouting every major league team. The Mets knew that you could never be sure who a team wouldn't protect in the draft and they wanted a report on everyone.

When his season end reports were filed, he blasted nearly every player as not having the skills necessary to play big league ball. He did file one, marginally favorable report though. The comment made about one player was simply, "Looks like a major league ballplayer."

That player: Mickey Mantle. (You have to admit, he had had a pretty good year in 1961.)
Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Leon........please be sure any of these CU immigrants are not going to be eligible under the new Obama health plan. We cannot afford to cover our own Net54 people, much less these immigrants. Fire up the death panels.....

Tom,

YOU LIE!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 AM

Leon,

Would you please edit my name and net54 handle out of your initial post on this thread?

This will help close my involvement in this.

Thanks,
Bob.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Tom,

YOU LIE!!!
Haha nicely done.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Leon, I do think the thread title should be changed to sfmays24 (the person in question) and not Mays -24 (Bob who is not involved).

Last edited by smtjoy; 09-16-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Steven Finley

Wow. Beatles Rock Band comes out and I miss so much.

Probably doesn't matter at this point, but I did complete a deal with Mike Ortega about a month ago and there were absolutely no problems with the deal. The cards were shipped promptly. They were packaged in a fine manner. And honestly I thought I got great a great selection of cards for they meager price I paid. I had no problems with him and we was very cordial throughout all of our emails.

Just my vote of confidence for Mike.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Steve Murray

Default Who's Leon?

That edit is half ass. Bob's name is still in the post.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Wow. Beatles Rock Band comes out and I miss so much.
I figured everyone here would have bought Guitar Hero 5 instead so they can play the new "Bring the Noise" remix. Also please don't send any train wrecks over to the postwar side. It's actually peaceful over there.

Last edited by Doug; 09-16-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:25 PM
FredYoung

Default News Break!

This just in----

Kanye West has interrupted Patrick Swayze's funeral to state Michael Jackson's was better!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM

I have never once visited the CU site and I don't think I ever will.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I have never once visited the CU site and I don't think I ever will.
I think I've looked at it 2 or 3 times and nobody's missing much.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I think I've looked at it 2 or 3 times and nobody's missing much.
I've checked it out and if the card isn't shiny or older than 5 months, very few posters have any idea what they are.
Closed Thread