NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Now 3 confirmed dead....just a terrible tragedy

If I was the father of that 8 year old victim I would be seething.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Ruben

my heart and prayers go out to all those whose loved ones were affected by these idiots who have no consideration for anyone. It's a sad world that we live in unfortunately.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post
. It's a sad world that we live in unfortunately.
it's a sad world in many ways for sure.. But it does make me feel great pride in this country/us/people in general knowing that several marathon runners who'd just run 26.2, ran another couple miles to the hospital to give blood knowing that people needed transfusions. This is what the attacker(s) will never understand... They aren't helping their cause as much as they're strengthening the resolve of their victims.

These f-ing cowards whoever they be, will never win
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 AM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 AM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Vin¢£nt J@m£s Mo®£tti

Hug your kids.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Derek Granger

Default Explosions

My son just turned 11 days old today...we live in the 'burbs of Boston and thankfully all of our close friends and family are safe. What kind of world did I bring my boy into?

This sort of thing will make me fearful to take my son to sporting events w/ large crowds down the road - including baseball games - what a shame!

I had to turn off the TV when seeing some of the gruesome scenes. Sickening, absolutely sickening.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Arnie

So terrible, and the frustrating thing is that realistically you cant stop things like this from happening in the future. At any crowded place, particularly in the open like this where you dont have to walk thru one door where you can be inspected, a person can drop a small bomb and have it go off later. There are some totally sick people out there, and other people have to pay the price for their insanity.

My hearts go out to the injured people, some have lost one or both legs. Incredible. Dont even get me started on the dead people.

As i posted on Facebook, if they ever catch the person/people that did this, they should be kept alive for as long as possible and tortured horribly every day all day long. If thats not civilized, oh well.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:27 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

This is a terrible tragedy and my thoughts go out to everyone involved from the victims to the first responders. The world is becoming a scary place. Treasure every day you have with your family and friends.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
My son just turned 11 days old today...we live in the 'burbs of Boston and thankfully all of our close friends and family are safe. What kind of world did I bring my boy into?

This sort of thing will make me fearful to take my son to sporting events w/ large crowds down the road - including baseball games - what a shame!

I had to turn off the TV when seeing some of the gruesome scenes. Sickening, absolutely sickening.

Your sentiments are shared by many of us. That being said, and we do need to be very careful in what we do, letting the terrorists dictate our actions would be a mistake. Live life and don't let this kind of thing stop you. It's what the idiots that did this want. Just be careful...

..I have had wet eyes more than once since yesterday, in watching this whole scenario. Very, very sad.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:16 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Your sentiments are shared by many of us. That being said, and we do need to be very careful in what we do, letting the terrorists dictate our actions would be a mistake. Live life and don't let this kind of thing stop you. It's what the idiots that did this want. Just be careful...

..I have had wet eyes more than once since yesterday, in watching this whole scenario. Very, very sad.
Well said. I was listening to WEEI sports radio this afternoon on my way back home and just felt too overwhelmed. I had to turn it off. I think the best thing is to focus on the positives coming out of the situation, if that's possible. First responders have been outstanding, the media has done a decent job of keeping folks informed, victims are being served by the best medical staff in the world, On my way through Boston via public transit this afternoon there was also healthy police and national guard prescence. Boston will recover and those responsible will be held accountable.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

In tribute, the Yanks will be playing our otherwise despised anthem Sweet Caroline today. Real class.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

Steve, everyone tries to deal with horrible stuff in their own way. The sorrow for all those affected is immeasurable, as is the anger at those who have violated yet another aspect of our lives.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
I understand and agree with your sentiment but perhaps you can edit out the word "retardo". Neither my nephew or his special ed classmates could conceive of much less do something like that.
Noted. Very poor choice of words. I generally find mentally challenged people to be the sweetest I've ever met. Let's substitute evil, subhuman scum for "retardo"

Last edited by deadballfreaK; 04-16-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: poor typing skills
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 PM
David Riley

Awful stuff. Can't imagine being the father of the 8 year old who was killed . My anger management is not so good, if they got the suspect, I'd be the one to kill him if I were the Father. It would be my only recourse. Eye for eye.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwaylandscaping View Post
Awful stuff. Can't imagine being the father of the 8 year old who was killed . My anger management is not so good, if they got the suspect, I'd be the one to kill him if I were the Father. It would be my only recourse. Eye for eye.
If it were my loved one yes I would kill them with my bare hands and gladly take the consequences. I think there is a little girl 7 or 8 that lost a leg. I would do it for her and save her dad the trouble.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
I think there is a little girl 7 or 8 that lost a leg. I would do it for her and save her dad the trouble.
As I understand it, she's the sister of the little boy who died and their mother is still in the ICU.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Scott S

Breaking news around Boston is that an arrest has been made and the suspect is en route to the courthouse. Let's hope this is an accurate report!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Eric Perry

Our local ABC News affiliate indicated that there were conflicting reports, regarding a possible arrest, coming out of Boston. They then reported the following:

- Through viewing surveillance footage, they now have a possible suspect
- That possible suspect has not yet been identified
- There will be a news conference held in Boston, and it is currently scheduled to take place in about two hours (5 p.m. EDT)
Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

No arrest, but is "imminent" at 1630hrs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boston-Stone.jpg (49.8 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Scott S

If anyone hasn't seen the national anthem from the Boston Bruins game last night, you need to watch this clip. It gave me goosebumps to watch this last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzMsagY7oRs
Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default scooter729

Thanks for posting the video.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

TED Z
Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Listening to the Boston Police scanner for most of the night, sounds like one suspect has been killed and one is still on foot. Intense shoot out with bombs going off. Sounds like a police officer was killed

God be with those brave men, women and canines hunting this coward.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Listening to the Boston Police scanner for most of the night, sounds like one suspect has been killed and one is still on foot. Intense shoot out with bombs going off. Sounds like a police officer was killed

God be with those brave men, women and canines hunting this coward.
Switching to CNN now to see if they've got anything on yet.. terrible another good person has died. Thanks posting the update though.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 AM
Matt Hall

I'm watching NBC... I realize the scene is pretty chaotic at the moment, but this is the most confusing news reporting I've ever tried to follow.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 AM
I@n Cl@rke

It's pretty confusing.. that's one trouble with live 24/7 news coverage. They struggle to handle these things in real time.. and it sounds like there's still a suspect at large.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Rob

It sounds like they got one of the idiots and he's dead and the other is on the run.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:02 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

The scanner is really busy, they mentioned suspects names and waiting for daylight to come...slowly sweeping area.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:06 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
It sounds like they got one of the idiots and he's dead and the other is on the run.
From what I hear, at least one is arrested and at least one is running. I'll fight the urge to post from here out, rather than play the same role as the CNN/MSNBC reporters are doing now.

Totally OT, but I jUst remember jack--ses like Geraldo reporting an army unit's attack plan during invasion of Iraq... stuff like "and C company is going to swing to the North in a flanking maneuver". Sometimes these guys need time to read a well scripted/produced and telemprompted broadcast rather than speculate

Last edited by itjclarke; 04-19-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:30 AM
I@n Cl@rke

well.. I'm already guily of over speculation.. the suspect/the naked guy has been released. Yes one suspect is dead, one on the run. NOW- I will stop posting
Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 AM
Matt Hall

Reporter just said "this has been a six hour crime odesessy".

It looks they've run out of real stuff to report, I'm going to sleep.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:02 AM
Mike

Suspect 1 killed other on the loose as of 7 am east coast time
Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Barry Sloate

Entire city of Boston is in lockdown...that is unprecedented for a major American city.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 AM
Dan Lundrigan

Crazy crazy stuff! I hope they catch this other suspect alive, not that I want him alive just to get some answers from him!
My thoughts and Prayers going out to the officers wounded and killed and for the hope that no other innocent people get hurt by this terrorist!
News says suspect is 19 years old how do you get so much hate in you in only 19 years? I have a daughter his age that is just so unfathomable to me!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

like watching a movie on fox news here, I hope they don't kill this 2ed guy he needs to be tortured IMO
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcarddan View Post
Crazy crazy stuff! I hope they catch this other suspect alive, not that I want him alive just to get some answers from him!
My thoughts and Prayers going out to the officers wounded and killed and for the hope that no other innocent people get hurt by this terrorist!
News says suspect is 19 years old how do you get so much hate in you in only 19 years? I have a daughter his age that is just so unfathomable to me!
I actually feel pretty bad for the second kid... seems like he was dragged into this by his brother. This kid, the way he walked, with the backpack slung off a shoulder, the hat backwards... so young, did he fully realize the consequences of what he was doing? Maybe, but captain of the wrestling team, popular kid, it is unfathomable really. Cambridge Rindge and Latin is a good school. There is just nothing to explain this...

Really tragic not only for the victims but for the perpetrators as well.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:16 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
I actually feel pretty bad for the second kid... seems like he was dragged into this by his brother. This kid, the way he walked, with the backpack slung off a shoulder, the hat backwards... so young, did he fully realize the consequences of what he was doing? Maybe, but captain of the wrestling team, popular kid, it is unfathomable really. Cambridge Rindge and Latin is a good school. There is just nothing to explain this...

"...tragic for the perpetrators as well"

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Dan Lundrigan

suspect may be travelling in a
Grey Honda CRV
Mass Plate 316 ES9

Just saw that on local news and I am just posting this for anyone in the area of the suspect as I am. Not trying to create any hysteria!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
"...tragic for the perpetrators as well"

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
+1. Tragic if they don't put multiple bullets between his eyes.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
... so young, did he fully realize the consequences of what he was doing?
I get the feeling he's about to find out.

I do not share your sympathy for him however.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Do you mean the consequence that a shrapnel bomb might maim and kill people? Given that he was a medical student I'd say yes he did. If you mean the consequence that he would be hunted down and killed or jailed, who gives a shit?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Dan Lundrigan

Quote:

WHAT!?!?! Are you kidding me! Maybe he was a decent kid growing up but somewhere along the line he obviously went bad. I only feel sorry for those he has hurt and killed!

Hitler and Bin Laden were probably "nice guys" before they turned into monsters!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Dan Lundrigan

Quote:
I actually feel pretty bad for the second kid... seems like he was dragged into this by his brother.
That is a major leap of faith we really know nothing about these individuals.

They are terrorists and now as of last night cop killers as well. Keep in mind, that is the person you are feeling sorry for!

Last edited by bbcarddan; 04-19-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Ja,mie B.

Of course this is a major atrocity and he should be brought to justice. It is absolutely horrible what he did, and as I sit here under lockdown, thinking of the people who've been maimed or killed, how lucky some of the people I knew were to okay, nothing could be more horrendous.

But what you have to understand is that it is a community. I have been in that community. I have, just a couple months ago, I played soccer three times in a gym with muslim immigrants in Cambridge where I was the only white American in there. Otherwise it was all muslims. Yes, in the very same area where that kid lives.

And you know what? Some of those guys did have issues playing with an American, it was not always easy. But other guys in there STOOD UP FOR ME. Arab culture is a little crazy, they will spend half the time yelling at each other instead of playing. But after playing with them a few times it became clear that I was allowed to get upset and yell, too. It is just how things are with them.

Yes, I know that you all want to get the bad guys like it is a James Bond film. And it kind of is a movie playing out right now. Certainly, they should be gotten. But if you were from Cambridge/Somerville and understood its values, you'd see why it is so tragic for everyone involved. Because there are a lot of kids like that who are trying to make it in this country. And Cambridge/Somerville is a place that accepts them and values diversity. It is a real community.

I don't know those guys, what they did is absolutely horrendous, and the remaining kid should be put to justice. But these are still human beings, and that they could throw away all the opportunity they've been given here and commit such a heinous crime is just a tragedy for everyone, including themselves. Something clearly went very, VERY wrong.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Entire city of Boston is in lockdown...that is unprecedented for a major American city.
Where does this stuff come from? I just read through today's posts in this thread (I don't have television), then went out and bought a newspaper.

There is almost no correlation

All these crappy constant news feeds you guys are confused over, sensationalizing this situation as if it's a Lifetime t.v. show, with very little journalistic integrity, is exactly why I got rid of my television the first time.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Where does this stuff come from? I just read through today's posts in this thread (I don't have television), then went out and bought a newspaper.

There is almost no correlation

All these crappy constant news feeds you guys are confused over, sensationalizing this situation as if it's a Lifetime t.v. show, with very little journalistic integrity, is exactly why I got rid of my television the first time.
Scott, I don't know what the point of your post is, but there certainly is no confusion over what is happening in Boston right now. Overnight, these scumbags ambushed and killed a police officer and have shot another officer who is critical right now.
Boston is indeed in lockdown and the public has been asked to stay in their home and lock their doors. Traffic is not being allowed in parts of Boston. Taxicabs have been shut down along with the MBTA, bus service, etc.

So, we are not confused, maybe you are.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 AM

Scott- the city was (and still might be) on lockdown. everyone was encouraged to stay home, schools closed, no mass transit, no flights leaving. this started early this morning after your newspaper was printed. they are locked down.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

"Governor Deval Patrick asked people who live in the entire city of Boston, as well as the nearby communities of Watertown, Waltham, Newton, Belmont, Cambridge, to “shelter in place” — stay inside and not open their doors to anyone, except police with proper identification.

The search has also led to the sudden shutdown of the MBTA’s entire network of commuter rail, bus, and subway services. Taxi service was shut down until late morning; the state court system announced closures of various courts and offices in the area. Amtrak suspended service between Providence and Boston. And officials requested businesses across the area not to open this morning."

Was brutal to listen to last night, the shootout was broadcast live on the scanner and there is video, hundreds of shots being fired. It's not coming across as sensationalization.

Gets intense around :45 sec mark.

Video

Last edited by atx840; 04-19-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Scott, I don't know what the point of your post is, but there certainly is no confusion over what is happening in Boston right now. Overnight, these scumbags ambushed and killed a police officer and have shot another officer who is critical right now.
Boston is indeed in lockdown and the public has been asked to stay in their home and lock their doors. Traffic is not being allowed in parts of Boston. Taxicabs have been shut down along with the MBTA, bus service, etc.

So, we are not confused, maybe you are.
Phil, I just re-read my post. If you don't get the point of it, then you haven't taken the time to read it. So maybe you actually ARE confused. It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Scott- the city was (and still might be) on lockdown. everyone was encouraged to stay home, schools closed, no mass transit, no flights leaving. this started early this morning after your newspaper was printed. they are locked down.
Thanks. After reading the newspaper I checked several online sites and the facts varied - a lot.

Thanks for your response. I realized after reading Phil's that if I couldn't get accurate news from the newspaper or the internet, I certainly shouldn't have expected any sort of reasonable response from a baseball card forum. But sometimes I forget that.