NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Phil, I just re-read my post. If you don't get the point of it, then you haven't taken the time to read it. So maybe you actually ARE confused. It wouldn't be the first time.
the ridiculous amount of assuming that has been done by the major news outlets during the unfolding of this deal is really disheartening.

the networks are under such pressure to release info a few instants faster than the others is really detrimental to the consumers of news. even in the articles they often admit that their fact points are suppositions...which gets completely missed by many readers/watchers.

its almost smarter to wait a day or two after an event so that you can finally read an accurate account of something, rather than trying to absorb the chaos while events are unfolding.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Thanks. After reading the newspaper I checked several online sites and the facts varied - a lot.

Thanks for your response. I realized after reading Phil's that if I couldn't get accurate news from the newspaper or the internet, I certainly shouldn't have expected any sort of reasonable response from a baseball card forum. But sometimes I forget that.
Scott, there are rational people on our forum, for the most part. Your first post about this, this morning, sounded weird to me too. It's pretty easy. The two terrorists got identified, one got killed, the authorities have locked down most of a city for their own protection. They are still looking for the other terrorist and consider him to be extremely dangerous. Personally, I hope they don't take him alive. I agree there are lots of different reports but most, not all, are fairly accurate. It's a fluid situation. There is no script for this.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

It can be hard to get a consistent picture when the media jump the gun and elevate speculation or rumor to fact. And while I of course want everyone myself included to be safe this is starting to seem a bit disproportionate.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-19-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM
P.hil €lli$

Well Scott, we do know that everything you read on the internet is certainly always true. But I guess you know it all being on the other side of the country.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
Arab culture is a little crazy, they will spend half the time yelling at each other instead of playing.
I've noticed this also when I played soccer with Arab guys, they blow their tops so quickly and explosively over small stuff, I never could understand it.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
I actually feel pretty bad for the second kid... seems like he was dragged into this by his brother. This kid, the way he walked, with the backpack slung off a shoulder, the hat backwards... so young, did he fully realize the consequences of what he was doing? Maybe, but captain of the wrestling team, popular kid, it is unfathomable really. Cambridge Rindge and Latin is a good school. There is just nothing to explain this...

Really tragic not only for the victims but for the perpetrators as well.
feel bad? After they get info from him they should let the father of the 8year old kid who died, burn him alive in the middle of town.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
feel bad? After they get info from him they should let the father of the 8year old kid who died, burn him alive in the middle of town.
Is that some voodoo magic that brings 8 yr olds back to life?

I'm sure watching that kid burn alive would really make that father feel so much better.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
Is that some voodoo magic that brings 8 yr olds back to life?

I'm sure watching that kid burn alive would really make that father feel so much better.
nothing will make the father feel better, but rather have him live a long life in a jail cell that tax payers need to pay for....or suffer a death he deserves.

Its an easy choice IMO.

Of course it will never happen, but there is no punishment that fits a crime of killing an innocent kid, ..o yea also that father, his daughter was also there and lost one of her limbs.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Dan Lundrigan

I hope they take him alive only for the fact he may lead them to others who could be involved! You can kill him after that as far as I am concerned!
I think he may end up taking his own life one way or another, I just don`t see how he is going to be brought in alive.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Took the wife downtown yesterday for the Fleetwood Mac concert at the Garden. Couldn't leave this AM. Subway and Taxi's all shut down. Finally, we copped a ride and home now.

An obviously upset Stevie Nicks made a nice tribute at the end of the show. Not a dry eye.

We've become Israel. Be vigilant.

Eerily quiet this AM;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kenmore.jpg (31.2 KB, 166 views)
Old 04-19-2013, 11:08 AM
D@ve R1cks

At the business where I work, we have a few customers in the Boston area that we overnighted packages to yesterday. Apparently the fedex planes are not even being allowed to land in Boston so everything is stuck in Memphis for the time being.

I understand security and caution and all (would make sense to not have delivery trucks out and about in Boston today) , but if 1 single russian kid with a gun is putting so much fear into us that we can't even land airplanes at Logan International, then all I can say is... the terrorists win.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:09 AM

As Leon will say, let's keep the politics out of the discussion.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
We've become Israel. Be vigilant.

The bombers were Russian.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Dan Lundrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
At the business where I work, we have a few customers in the Boston area that we overnighted packages to yesterday. Apparently the fedex planes are not even being allowed to land in Boston so everything is stuck in Memphis for the time being.

I understand security and caution and all (would make sense to not have delivery trucks out and about in Boston today) , but if 1 single russian kid with a gun is putting so much fear into us that we can't even land airplanes at Logan International, then all I can say is... the terrorists win.
It`s been a bit more than one russian kid with a gun in case you havent noticed!

I can certainly understand why people in the area are on edge. My brother was at the marathon and if he was 50 yards in either direction he could have been hurt or killed! I thank god he was unhurt!
I am about an hour away from Boston and my daughter knows people who have met this kid in college, this is as close to this as I want to get. I would like to think that my daughter is as safe as a kid somewhere in the middle of Montana, but untill this comes to an end I wont feel relief.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 AM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcarddan View Post
It`s been a bit more than one russian kid with a gun in case you havent noticed!
There's just the 1 kid left, the other is dead. Again, not saying the area shouldn't be on red alert. Just my opinion that if flights are not even allowed to come into Boston, that is excessive IMO.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

So much coverage of Boston..despite having a severe storm system coming thru and a sited funnel cloud taking homes off foundations in our state..Which ya think precedents here?? And when they do show the weather, they have a pic/in/box still of Boston.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Dan Lundrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
There's just the 1 kid left, the other is dead. Again, not saying the area shouldn't be on red alert. Just my opinion that if flights are not even allowed to come into Boston, that is excessive IMO.
Yes law enforcement is operating with an over abundance of caution. It seems as if there is only one terrorist left who can say for sure at this point? We don`t know if there are other persons of interest that the public does not know about at this time are they armed with guns,bombs? Who knows it is still unfolding.
I don`t think refering to him as a kid fits either. He is 19 that is an adult and his actions have made him a terrorist lets call him what he is!

For your sake and your customers I hope they don`t deem your packages suspicious!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
The idea that the bombers were Russian is laughable -- they'd probably pluck your eyes out for saying such a thing as they were Chechen. And they were knee-deep in Jihad as the evidence clearly shows on one of their Facebook pages, comments from an uncle, the types of bombs they used, etc. So, the comparison to Israel is hardly far-fetched. Just some thoughts.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Dan Lundrigan

Just heard Sox and Bruins games have been cancelled for tonight!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
they'd probably pluck your eyes out for saying such a thing as they were Chechen.
That pip-squeak couldn't get anywhere near my eyes. Otherwise, fine, Boston is like Israel.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
We're not Israel in the literal sense, no Matthew H. And I realize you didn't mean Russian, but Chechen as well.

Be Strong, steve
Old 04-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Really tragic not only for the victims but for the perpetrators as well.

+1

Revenge and hate only perpetuate the cycle imho.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 04-19-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
The idea that the bombers were Russian is laughable -- they'd probably pluck your eyes out for saying such a thing as they were Chechen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
We're not Israel in the literal sense, no Matthew H. And I realize you didn't mean Russian, but Chechen as well.
Chechnya is technically part of Russia, hence the problems. Lots of craziness over there.. their separatist blew up a school full of kids, took over a packed theater in Moscow (which the Russian army gassed and stormed inflicting mass civilian casualties), bombed planes, etc.. and I'm sure the Russian military has done some terrible things as well.

Though there may be some common themes/events/causes, all of these ongoing world situations (Isreal, Chechnya, Sri Lanka, Syria, Libya, N Korea, etc) are unique. That said, I wish the best to all those in the Boston area and hope this situation is quelled with no further loss of innocent life.

Last edited by itjclarke; 04-19-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: wording
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
+1

Revenge and hate only perpetuate the cycle imho.
JimB

Jim- I could be wrong but if your 8 yr old son was blown to smithereens in front of your face, and your daughter had her leg blown off, in front of your face, you might feel differently.....but maybe not.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Jim- I could be wrong but if your 8 yr old son was blown to smithereens in front of your face, and your daughter had her leg blown off, in front of your face, you might feel differently.....but maybe not.
That absolutely does not take away from Jim's assertion. No good comes from perpetuating the cycle of violence.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
That absolutely does not take away from Jim's assertion. No good comes from perpetuating the cycle of violence.
I disagree. Bin Laden got what he deserved. He won't be killing anyone else. Cycle stopped (for him). One of these current Boston terrorists got what he deserved. He won't kill anyone else. One more to go, then he won't kill anyone else. Those three will have their cycles stopped. And if more people kill innocent people they too should have their cycles ended. Just my opinion. Moral of the story, don't kill innocent people.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Kenny Cole

But it doesn't have to be about revenge and hate. If your dog has rabies you may love it but you still put it down. If you don't, you endanger everyone around you.

I feel similarly about this kid and others like him. It isn't about hate, its about safety. I may feel sad for him and wonder why he became what he is now, but that really doesn't change anything. If you don't capture him or put him down, everyone else is endangered. If that is perpetuating the cycle, so be it. At least, hopefully, there is one less killer out there.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
But it doesn't have to be about revenge and hate. If your dog has rabies you may love it but you still put it down. If you don't, you endanger everyone around you.

I feel similarly about this kid and others like him. It isn't about hate, its about safety. I may feel sad for him and wonder why he became what he is now, but that really doesn't change anything. If you don't capture him or put him down, everyone else is endangered. If that is perpetuating the cycle, so be it. At least, hopefully, there is one less killer out there.
I think we are on the same page Kenny. That being said, I am sorry....if my daughter was maimed or killed I would hate the person that did it and want revenge. I am weak in that respect.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Kenny Cole

I would too.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Me three.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Scott S

I've been on lockdown all day - it is insane. I watched my childhood home on CNN as armored vehicles patrolled the street doing searches. I live 3 miles away now but my 10-month old son goes to daycare right where the gunfight took place.

I am just thankful this happened overnight and not during the day when he would have been there. Let's all just put the politics aside and hope this ends soon.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 PM

My thoughts go out to the people in Boston.

Last edited by packs; 04-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
jim- i could be wrong but if your 8 yr old son was blown to smithereens in front of your face, and your daughter had her leg blown off, in front of your face, you might feel differently.....but maybe not.
+1000000000

Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Dan Lundrigan

I was going to post something else but my tv caught my attention just now. A reporter saying he heard gunfire in watertown area. I hope it will be over soon!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

So if touture is out of the question...What about putting him in General Population. Would love to see what the best US harnened prisioners have to show this coward.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
So if touture is out of the question...What about putting him in General Population. Would love to see what the best US harnened prisioners have to show this coward.
^ The best possible outcome, IMO.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
And if more people kill innocent people they too should have their cycles ended.
No disrespect meant Leon, but, as you state, in this "battle" there is no singular cycle. Thus, it is perpetual.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Dan Lundrigan

No confirmation yet but I have a feeling they got him. Reports are a body in a boat in backyard after heavy gunfire!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Scott S

Praying this might be it - so scary to watch this footage now on live tv of my old neighborhood....
Old 04-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

When will Al Cowlings show up to save the kid?

Last edited by BengoughingForAwhile; 04-19-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Dan Lundrigan

They got him alive!

Others arrested in connection with this as well http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...athon-bombing/

With him alive hopefully he will lead authorities to others who would commit such acts before they happen! Well done BPD and all law enforcement agencies invovlved!

Last edited by bbcarddan; 04-19-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcarddan View Post
with him alive hopefully he will lead authorities to others who would commit such acts before they happen! Well done bpd and all law enforcement agencies invovlved!
+100000000000000
Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Where does this stuff come from? I just read through today's posts in this thread (I don't have television), then went out and bought a newspaper.

There is almost no correlation

All these crappy constant news feeds you guys are confused over, sensationalizing this situation as if it's a Lifetime t.v. show, with very little journalistic integrity, is exactly why I got rid of my television the first time.
Where is the correlation now Scott?

Get a clue!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:11 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

Tsarnaev captured alive! In serious condition at a Boston hospital. Congrats to all the local, state, and federal agencies on a job well done. Now the victims and their families can begin the process of recovery and this pig can be brought to justice! Boston Strong! Boston Pride! United We Stand!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandBaseBallist View Post
Tsarnaev captured alive! In serious condition at a Boston hospital. Congrats to all the local, state, and federal agencies on a job well done. Now the victims and their families can begin the process of recovery and this pig can be brought to justice! Boston Strong! Boston Pride! United We Stand!
And he'll be interrogated, stand trial, etc.. And if the bros were working with anyone else, the cops/Feds have a shot to ferret them out (please pardon me if I'm way out of the loop as I haven't been able to check the news for hours). Glad its over, at least for now, especially for you New Englanders.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

What an awful week for the people of Boston and it's nation.

Seeing this...felt good.

Arrest photo, mildly graphic click
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Rob Ruddy

Default Well done!

Glad to hear he was captured alive. Hopefully they can get some answers. After that, I don't care what they do to him.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Send him to guantanamo bay

Old 04-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Arnie

Quote:
Send him to guantanamo bay
I was just going to post that if he doesnt talk we should send him to Guantanamo and see how he likes water boarding!!

Kudo's to the citizens and law enforcement people for getting this done, what riveting tv this was, wow, and thank God they got both of them. Now I just hope the injured recover as well as they can, and my heart goes out to the ones who either died or lost limbs.