NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Ciaran

I grew up in Belfast, Northern Ireland during the "troubles" so have had too much experience of bombings and the fear that they can provoke.

Whilst last Monday's bombing was, and is, terrible (unequivocally so), I am glad that the remaining bomber was captured alive. Not because I wouldn't will him dead but, rather, that it's important that the relevant agencies can obtain as much understanding as possible about whether others, and if so who, were involved.

The sad reality appears to be that a single crazed idiot or two can create bombs that can bring cities to a standstill. Whilst the effect is still every bit as bad, I'd very much hope that this is the work of two crazed and warped scum rather than something wider.

For all the talk re US and the terrorism threat (which clearly exists), it is remarkable how few significant terrorist incidents there have been on US soil since Sept 11. I don't know but can only assume that the security intelligence is more persuasive than we may sometimes credit.

ps - Chechnya is a part of Russia and will hopefully remain so for a long, long time. One thing that does annoy me is that the global media view the Chechnyan separatists as the bone fide representatives and spokespeople of that territory.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Mike

He will be treated as as enemy combatant, which will allow the dept of justice
To ? Him for as long as they please hence gizmo. Also the Russian govt
Requested that the US govt investigate him two years ago for his radical postings on you tube. Then he leaves the US last year for six months headed to Russia then onto ? For his training on a green card. Someone dropped the ball on the older brother.
Mike
Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Now I'm not a Red Sox fan by any stretch but Big Papi's intro at the Sox game today sums it up....."'THIS IS OUR F*CKING CITY!' AND WERE NOT GONNA LET ANYONE DICTATE OUR FREEDOM, STAY STRONG". I love it if you get a chance check out the youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6GLsc1wpqM

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 04-20-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:25 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I think Papi's into was inappropriate and low class. Eliminating the expletive would better have served his point. Dave
Old 04-20-2013, 02:31 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
ps - Chechnya is a part of Russia and will hopefully remain so for a long, long time. One thing that does annoy me is that the global media view the Chechnyan separatists as the bone fide representatives and spokespeople of that territory.[/I]
Not entirely the same, but on the topic of "media view", when Russia had their brief war with Georgia, the US media covered it almost entirely from the side/perspective of the Georgians. The fact that Georgia had been the aggressor, had attacked S Ossetia and killed Russian soldiers was barely mentioned initially, and not mentioned once the heavy fighting began. I'm not saying one position or country was right, but it's frustrating because the media (especially US) tends to choose a side (usually the easy "victim") and go with it. This has happened several times in the past few years. "Freedom fighters"/"Separatists" are often gentler words for "terrorists"/"insurgents".. the names we choose to call them usually depends on which perspective we're viewing it from. Media has a huge influence in that.

adding: PS- I'd be very interested to learn more about what life was like in Belfast during those years/decades. I visited Ireland in college.. there were still some attacks/bombings happening, but never made it to the north.. I mostly only knew/know what I've seen in movies like "In the Name of Father"/ "The Boxer"/etc.

Last edited by itjclarke; 04-20-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: to add
Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Now I'm not a Red Sox fan by any stretch but Big Papi's intro at the Sox game today sums it up....."'THIS IS OUR F*CKING CITY!' AND WERE NOT GONNA LET ANYONE DICTATE OUR FREEDOM, STAY STRONG". I love it if you get a chance check out the youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6GLsc1wpqM
Actually, two Muslim terrorists from Chechnya 'dictated' and killed and terrorized Boston over the past few days and probably changed it forever.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I think Papi's into was inappropriate and low class. Eliminating the expletive would better have served his point. Dave

Obviously, you're not from Boston.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Actually, two Muslim terrorists from Chechnya 'dictated' and killed and terrorized Boston over the past few days and probably changed it forever.
Yes, it made it stronger.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
Yes, it made it stronger.
Right. Stronger.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Right. Stronger.
Well, let me tell you, not everyone is so scared up here. People are tough in Boston. It will bring people together. Don't underestimate Boston. You'll see.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 04-20-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:12 PM
P.hil €lli$

We need to wait until the facts make it to Scott's newspaper before he can comment, maybe tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
Well, let me tell you, not everyone is so scared up here. People are tough in Boston. It will bring people together. Don't underestimate Boston. You'll see.
Thank you for posting this. You can't let fear take over an entire city, ever.

There has been some kind of race war down in South LA for the last several years. It's supposed to be over. There hasn't been much activity lately but I can tell you, walking around there feels like wading through water. You can cut the tension with a knife. I've been having to shuttle materials down there for a job I'm on and I can feel an incredible amount of fear down there. It's no way to live. I feel sorry for those that have to raise their children in that area.

My first apartment was in highland park. That place was an absolute war zone back then (late 90's). I remember having to look in every direction then listen quietly before I stepped outside at night. All of that fear was probably unnecessary. Nothing ever happened to me.

Just be aware of your surroundings at all times, it become second nature. And don't be afraid, fear can really take over if you let it.

-
Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
We need to wait until the facts make it to Scott's newspaper before he can comment, maybe tomorrow.
Phil, you are welcome to display your ignorance immediately if you'd like. It makes no difference to me.

...and I'm not about to get into a pissing contest with someone who's unarmed. Don't expect any additional responses to your tripe.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Not entirely the same, but on the topic of "media view", when Russia had their brief war with Georgia, the US media covered it almost entirely from the side/perspective of the Georgians. The fact that Georgia had been the aggressor, had attacked S Ossetia and killed Russian soldiers was barely mentioned initially, and not mentioned once the heavy fighting began. I'm not saying one position or country was right, but it's frustrating because the media (especially US) tends to choose a side (usually the easy "victim") and go with it. This has happened several times in the past few years. "Freedom fighters"/"Separatists" are often gentler words for "terrorists"/"insurgents".. the names we choose to call them usually depends on which perspective we're viewing it from. Media has a huge influence in that.

adding: PS- I'd be very interested to learn more about what life was like in Belfast during those years/decades. I visited Ireland in college.. there were still some attacks/bombings happening, but never made it to the north.. I mostly only knew/know what I've seen in movies like "In the Name of Father"/ "The Boxer"/etc.
Coincidentally, I have a soft spot for Georgia and its capital of Tbilisi as I was there in 1997 - not that long after the civil war and after it won independence from Russian rule.

Was only my second time behind the "iron curtain" and whilst I've been behind it many times since, I've never returned to Tbilisi. The city was frightening, magnificent, beautiful and so much more ruled into one. My travels there were back in the day well before inexpensive travel and before prevalent use of the internet. Really did seem a different world and, certainly, Tbilisi wasn't an overly easy city to get into. Should add that I'd only gone there to watch a sporting event .... Dynamo Tbilisi versus Crusaders of Belfast in a soccer match. I was the only supporter who traveled.

As for life in Belfast? Happy to talk offline about it all sometime. Although I "live" in London these days (for work), Belfast remains my home - it always will be. Beautiful, historic city with tremendous links to the US - those links were solidified during WWII when many US troops were stationed in Northern Ireland before seeing action on the European continent.