NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Default NO Private Emails posted on this board - rule

Posted By: John

I agree with Leon, and we have spoken on this before (Hey Leon). It’s just too easy to post an email out of context or type things that were never there. So I for one say no to posting emails with names etc.

For the most part I have a few folks here I have disagreements with most notably Jim C and perhaps Kevin; to me they are nothing more than differences of opinions although their perception may be quite different and I respect that.

I will however go on the record and say as collector I respect Jim C and his collection and his passion about the hobby and his way of collecting, even though we tend to be like cats and dogs (hi Jim) my respect for him as a collector is still there even if we don’t see eye to eye most of the time. Have we taken shots at each other sure we have, par for the course just two very opinionated guys bound to happen. I can assure you the line stops at that. In no way would I personally bombard Jim with private emails with vulgar demeaning under tones nor would Jim to me I can only assume.

We talk a lot about anonymity on this board, to have it or not. While for the most part I agree with no anonymity allowed and having emails and names along with your posts.

I find it a total abuse of the honest system we have in place for someone to use peoples emails as some sort of odd pathetic ranting avenue, or self ego booster. We talk a lot about personal attacks here; a lot of those are nothing more than shades of gray or personal perception. However, death threats, lawsuits and just plain name calling via email is about as personal as it can get.

Nobody deserves to be called an un-educated commoner, a bottom feeder. Nobody deserves to be threatened physically or any other way, just because of one person’s inadequacies and his ease of access to our available email addresses.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

"In my opinion, Jim is a lot less threatening because there's only one of him."

Now, that is, funnie.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JT Burtchaell

This whole thing reminds me of an Andy Griffith episode that was on last night:

Goober finds out Andy is taking Aunt Bee and Opie to the auto show in Raleigh and asks to go along, confident they'll get free samples when salesmen find out he's a "big operator". At the hotel, Goober calls up Roy Swanson, an old friend from trade school, to see how he's doing and to brag a little. They meet at the show and Goober is surprised to find out that Roy is a senior vice-president in charge of engineering with Amalgamated Motors. After hearing about a fellow student, Goober tells Roy he has a chain of stations instead of just one. When Roy meets the Taylors and invites them to dinner, Goober says it's his treat and chooses the finest restaurant in Raleigh. At dinner, Goober, out of his element, tries to act like a big shot but things don't work out and Roy finds out the truth. As they prepare to go home the next day, Andy unsuccessfully tries to cheer up a dejected Goober, who feels like a complete failure. Stopping for gas, Andy gets a bottle of pop and sees Roy, covered in grease, working on a car. He calls Goober over and asks him if he'd like to say hello to an old friend but Goober declines, saying he wouldn't want to embarrass him.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

Aaron and CN= very good points.

Whats wrong with a village idiot anyway ? I guess all sites have at least one.

Usually i get a huge chuckle out of the Dorskind groups posts..... Just typing it in the plural was worth a laugh.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

that Al's post should be deemed funniest or best of the thread, and actually, best of the week.....

There's only one of him!!!!! That is pure genious.....
Still laughing 10 minutes later.....

Old 09-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

video on classroom manners, originally appearing in 1959, depicting the character of "Mr. Bungle" has highly relevant context to the Net 54 VBC forum.

http://www.archive.org/details/lunchroom_manners

Old 09-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Yeah, ps, it's like Bruce knows that if he posts with that kind of vitriol and abusiveness leon would probably ban him -- not to mention that most posters would probably be appalled and would treat Bruce much worse than they already do.

So what he does (and this is really a loophole) is respond to posts via private e-mail rather than in the thread in a manner grossly harsher than he otherwise would. It's like he feels he can harass, abuse, threaten and insult with impunity because posters aren't supposed to be disciplined for private e-mails.

In any case, I am glad so many people have stepped forward and shared how often Bruce resorts to this tactic. It shows an obvious pattern on Bruce's part and while it clearly illustrates how troubled Bruce is, it also shows how many people Bruce has gone after and that jay isn't some isolated incident.

Leon, I get your points and I wouldn't wish your oversight responsibilities on anyone, I think we really are dealing with an isolated poster here. Maybe I'm wrong -- are there other posters with a history of sending unsolicited abusive e-mails?

If so, and since he seems to be using e-mail as a way to circumvent and overstep what he would be allowed to post, I don't see why a warning would be out of place. It could actually be helpful in keeping Bruce from going off and maybe forcing him to improve his communication skills.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Leon,
Is there a way to suspend someone's ability to click the email link on a post? This way, if enough complaints piled up, you could just cut them off from being able to email people on the board. Just a thought and not sure if it is feasible.

Joshua

Old 09-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Scott, I think Bruce's posts are fun as well. The village idiot analogy is very appropriate as Bruce just sets himself up for mockery and I don't think he even gets that he's doing it. I guess the more mature reaction would be to refrain from laughing and try to help him communicate better, but you could also argue that he brings it on himself and is so disdainful of his fellow posters that it's OK to laugh and watch as he just keeps digging that hole deeper.

But the private e-mails are a much more serious matter. Maybe you should ask jay to privately forward Bruce's e-mail to you.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I wish there was an easy answer to this issue. There isn't. If I ban Bruce for private emails sent then I get to go down that road with the precedent. So far I have spoken to numerous folks on the phone today (you know who you are) and so far it's unanimous that private emails shouldn't be allowed on the board. Unless it was overwhelmingly the other way I don't see a change happening. I think these emails Bruce sends are despicable and should be stopped. At the end of the day (I sort of hate that phrase) they are private and should be kept that way. The debate is still open. Also, please look at how many folks have said they think private emails SHOULD be allowed to be posted. With everything said, and those facts, what would you do if you ran the board? Everyone knows the inmates run the asylum around here....best regards

edited to say....yes, there are other posters that have had this issue in the past...Bruce isn't the first. So do I go back and ban them too? It's very difficult......

Old 09-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I know that Adam Moraine was a pain in the butt, but I can't remember what he did to get himself banned. I certainly don't remember him sending vile and threatening emails to people. Elkins was asking to be banned and got what he deserved. Anyone remember what Moraine did that was the final straw?

I would think sending nasty emails to Net54 members would constitute at the very least a warning. Is there any doubt that Bruce obtained Lee's email address from this message board?

Old 09-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I too support the board rule on not posting private e-mails.

But I do think that a compendium of the Dorskind Groups e-mails could be a best seller. Im going to check how many I have.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Adam Moraine is the only person banned by my right hand man. (that's why I say I have only banned 2 people but a total of 3 have been) I was on vacation at the time. I believe he went totally crazy and it was an easy decision. I certainly backed it....

Old 09-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Leon,

Why don't you send Bruce a private e-mail and see if he wants to respond?

Peter C.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean C

There is a very easy way to deal with this, Leon. Bruce is attacking members of the message board that YOU moderate over comments they made on YOUR message board that he may happen not to agree with. I agree that emails should not be posted on the boards either, but when you have 1 board member (no matter how many personalities may be rattling around in that royal "we" head of his) sending unsolicited attack emails to members of YOUR message board, YOU need to take action.

Think of it this way: what would you do if some board member were sending unsolicited auction spam emails to your board members? Would you ban them from the site? If so, what make unsolicited, hate-filled emails more acceptable than auction spam?

I am a moderator over another hobby message board, and we have to deal with garbage like this at least 5 times a day. Stop abdicating responsibility for the situation, and handle it like a responsible forum owner.

For anyone that receives unsolicited emails from Bruce, forward the email (with internet headers) to his ISP. (abuse@aol.com, abuse@yahoo.com, etc.). They receive enough complaints, they'll take action.

Leon' post:

I wish September 24 2007, 4:50 PM

I wish there was an easy answer to this issue. There isn't. If I ban Bruce for private emails sent then I get to go down that road with the precedent. So far I have spoken to numerous folks on the phone today (you know who you are) and so far it's unanimous that private emails shouldn't be allowed on the board. Unless it was overwhelmingly the other way I don't see a change happening. I think these emails Bruce sends are despicable and should be stopped. At the end of the day (I sort of hate that phrase) they are private and should be kept that way. The debate is still open. Also, please look at how many folks have said they think private emails SHOULD be allowed to be posted. With everything said, and those facts, what would you do if you ran the board? Everyone knows the inmates run the asylum around here....best regards

edited to say....yes, there are other posters that have had this issue in the past...Bruce isn't the first. So do I go back and ban them too? It's very difficult......

Old 09-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Another tough question -

If you were to ban Bruce, would you also have to ban the rest of his personalities?

Rob M.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

I completely disagree with you. I take heed from ALL members of this board. Most members DO NOT think private emails should be posted. Read all of the above posts.....YOU might do what YOU want to on YOUR board but I generally do what the majority wants on this one. I guess we are different in that respect...To me it sounds as YOU are taking the easy way out on YOUR board......next...

Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Check me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Sean said anything about posting emails on the board...he's telling you that he bans people for using his board to send unsolicited emails. That's pretty simple. Dorskind is circumventing the board rules regarding attacks that cross the line by sending his attacks through emails. He deserves a warning...if he can't play nicely in the future then he should be banned. That's pretty simple to me.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean C

Did you even read what I said? I agreed that private emails should NOT be posted. Reread what I said:

"There is a very easy way to deal with this, Leon. Bruce is attacking members of the message board that YOU moderate over comments they made on YOUR message board that he may happen not to agree with. I agree that emails should not be posted on the boards either, but when you have 1 board member (no matter how many personalities may be rattling around in that royal "we" head of his) sending unsolicited attack emails to members of YOUR message board, YOU need to take action. "

I'm in agreement with you that the emails should not be posted.

Leon's post

Sean September 24 2007, 5:07 PM

I completely disagree with you. I take heed from ALL members of this board. Most members DO NOT think private emails should be posted. Read all of the above posts.....YOU might do what YOU want to on YOUR board but I generally do what the majority wants on this one. I guess we are different in that respect...To me it sounds as YOU are taking the easy way out on YOUR board......next...

Old 09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Bland

The emails are unsolicited and apparently are sent in response to posts made on here, the email addresses garnered from information on this board (yes, it is theoretically possible he gets them somewhere else, but why would he?).

To me, that is reason enough to take action on someone.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Administrator

I kind of have to agree with Dan and Sean, I see how it’s a tough call Leon.

But the message that’s getting sent is no personal attacks on this board, but feel free to obtain the persons email via the board, and bum them out in private with actions that would never fly on here.

Lets also be honest with each other for a second, this isn’t some heated discussion about graded vs. non-graded, high grade vs. non-high grade. It’s not some discussion about altered cards, where both folks can have heated but valid points of views which can get a little ugly.

This is just some sad person calling people names from behind a keyboard in an apartment somewhere, nothing more nothing less. The irony is that for someone who claims to be such a classy well educated individual, the upper crust of society if you will, his actions are the exact polar opposite. In fact dare I say I’ve seen “commoners” with better manners?

Old 09-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

what a BS thread...

there should be no private emails posted on a public forum, next subject.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Mike,

Agreed on the posting of private emails, but do you feel its ok since you are requested to have an email to participate in certain threads that you should be open to the constant bombardment, personal shots and or threats?

You don’t feel that there are some liberties being taken with the email addresses if that’s allowed to happen?

***I guess a good analogy would be like having an office phone list, its there if you need to notify someone your coming in late etc. It’s not there for you to get phone numbers of chicks in the typing pool to heavy breath on them via the phone on the weekend.***

Old 09-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Bland

Seems like this thread has gone in two different directions - The discussion about posting emails on the board (which nearly everyone seems against allowing), and now about what (if anything) should be done about people sending unsolicited emails of an "unpleasant" nature to people about posts they made on here.

I would say the first subject is pretty much dead - no one really wants emails appearing on here, but I would argue the latter subject should be considered a little more IMO...

Old 09-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George H. Counter

Leon, lets run a poll at the top of the board asking if Bruce should stay or go.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

What would football commisoner Roger Godell do in this instance?

My e-mail is private so I have never had the pleasure of receiving an e-mail from "the plural", but it all goes back to what someone said a few dozen posts above...the internet allows us to act in ways we wouldn't if we saw them face to face.

Private e-mails that are exposed only show the general public a side of a person that he does not want the rest of the world to see. By exposing a person to the Forum in a public way, you expose who they truly are.

You ever meet Jerry Lewis? I have. When the camera is rolling, he's whacky, funny (I guess) and somewhat charming. When it's off, it's a different story.

DJ

Old 09-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

there was nothing ambiguous about his threat to me. He said that he wished someone would kill me or he might hire someone to do it himself. That's pretty crystal clear.

As for how to deal with unsolicited emails, let it be known that hence forth any unsolicited emails involving personal attacks can and will lead to being banned. No need to back track. If people can't follow that simple rule, then give them the boot.

As for Bruce's email claiming he never made threats. I'm not sure you got the same one I did because I was given a set of ground rules to follow for posting on the board, lol.

I'm felling left out. I didn't get mentioned as someone that drive people away and used to be the uber bad guy around here

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Dj, Bill Cosby is the same way. During my limo driving days, I had the horrible experience of driving him. I took him to his destination and with my boss's permission, told him he needed to find another service to pick him up later that night. I lost all respect for him that day and he was one of my favorite comedians of all time.

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Jay,

I have had two very pleasant experiences with the "Cos", but I heard from others that he can be like this though.

DJ

Old 09-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

John made a very important point that really needs to be addressed. This board offers a variety of resources, among them the email addresses of the majority of posters. If anyone sends threatening emails to fellow board members, and gets those addresses directly from this site, that is a violation of board protocol.

I get regular emails from board members, many whom I don't even know. But they are all pleasant and typically involve a hobby question. But how does a stranger get my contact information? Directly from the section that we all provided for general reference.

But that is not a free pass for anyone to just grab an email address and use it to send out threatening emails. And as a result, a ban is within reasonable boundaries.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: judsons hamlins

only one of him can stay

Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

JT Burtchaell wrote:
This whole thing reminds me of an Andy Griffith episode that was on last night:
Goober finds out Andy is taking Aunt Bee and Opie to the auto show in Raleigh and asks to go along...

So let me figure out who's who: Bruce is Goober, Andy is Leon; Jim C is the Amalgamated Motors guy. Who does that make me? Opie?

Old 09-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Paul. Being Opie is better than being Aunt Bee.
I have a mental picture of how you'd look in her wig.
UUUGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Tony

Old 09-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Administrator

My apologies. I went a different direction with your post. I still have to contemplate banning someone for private emails but I am closer to that than letting them be posted on the board. Banning is an alternative but still not one I would prefer to do..... Debate is ongoing....I think it's almost unanimous that emails shouldn't be posted...so we can scrap that part of it. Should someone be banned for private emails relating to board issues?

Old 09-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Earlier than the Andy Griffith show, there was a Honeymooners episode with the same plot, involving Ralph and an old flame of Ralph's wife Alice that Ralph ran into. Both claimed to be more successful than they were and it all came out n the end.

Administrator

Did he get the emails off this board, and was that his sole source of contact information?

Administrator

Tony, I think Joann is going to have to be Aunt Bea by default. Sorry Joann . I've yet to figure out who plays Barney.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

I get to be Andy....I always liked Andy......IF the world were full of Andy's it would be a better place. (Andy is/was much better than I am ....I am a bad guy....just ask Lee and Jay... )....regards

Old 09-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Guys, please take the OT stuff to email. This is a very serious topic being discussed and there is already enough to read without having to filter out that garbage.

Jay

Old 09-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Paul- Barney was not in that episode. He left the show in 1965, before it went from black and white to color (although he did make four guest appearances).

Edited to add Jay is right, we should get back on topic, but I think we all needed a five minute recess.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

"Should someone be banned for private emails relating to board issues?'

No, not for private emails, per se, but to send threatening, insulting emails to fellow board members is an abuse of the privilege of belonging to this board and a misuse of the email addresses available on this board. Is there any member who, when they posted their emails, did so with the expectation that these type of abusive emails were to be part of the package?

Old 09-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Barry, not only are you a Seinfeld expert but an Andy of Mayberry one as well. You rock!

Jay, you are correct. Apologies. However, I have also been added to Bruce's email list due to the my earlier analytic post.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

I read the first ten responses or so, but stopped as they were mostly about one ass on this board. In regard to not posting email addresses, my home computer doesn't connect to Outlook when I click the user name (a few others also have this issue.) I apologize if someone already chimed-in with the answer somewhere in this long thread.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

This is a serious issue let's please do address it as such...so let's do stay on topic please. My bad on going off topic too.....I had to escape for a minute and I really liked Andy...I was so excited to get to be him I took the bait... ....Shall we start another thread about the banning due to personal emails? The private email posting issue is done...

Old 09-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

sounds like a good idea. A new thread without 100+ posts will get more people reading

Jay

Old 09-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Edited to delete all content. I was typing it as the last dozen or so posts were added.

It was more appropriate to the new thread Leon mentioned, so I'll save it for that.

J

Old 09-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Paul -
If I'm understanding you correctly, are you saying that because of your earlier post
you to now have received an email similar to Lee's and Jay's from the Bruce's??

Tony

Old 09-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Man, this is an exhausting thread. Obvious thought: do we really need to post private emails when it is clear that any victim of an obnoxious private email will quickly out the offender as well as the gist of the email on the board anyway? It's not like anyone is getting away with murder by sending private emails only to have their obnoxious behavior hidden forever due to the 'no posting of private email' rule. As for Bruce's condescending tone, if he thought he was so above the community here would he still bother to regularly share his thoughts with the rest of us? Isn't this also clear?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

"Earlier than the Andy Griffith show, there was a Honeymooners episode with the same plot, involving Ralph and an old flame of Ralph's wife Alice that Ralph ran into. Both claimed to be more successful than they were and it all came out n the end"

Bob - Yes! great episode where Ralph is left holding the check for
a fancy meal he cannot afford. His old friend Bill Davis was an
assistant plumber instead of a business exec and Ralph led Davis to
believe he was in charge of the Gotham bus company.

Heh! Ya know this thread has gone down hill when The Honeymooners &
Andy Griffith Show are quoted

Old 09-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Jeff, what is worse, discussing the actions of someone who uses email to make vile threats or a 55 year old man who sends them?

If I'm still using this messageboard at age 55 and I'm using the King's language and threatening people through email then everyone has my permission to come over to my house and kick my ass. If you're a pacifist (Hi Barry!) then call my doctor.