NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Default Gil Hodges 1972 Topps Autograph- Fake? Opinions?

I'm curious if anyone knows the release date for the 72 Topps set. Seems very unlikely there'd be many, if any, Hodges autos since he died in the spring of 72. Looking at the guys other listings I'm thinking this is fake (his MJ auto is horrendous- but others are probably good looking fakes IMO). I'm curious what your guys thoughts on this are and if this guy should be shunned like battlefield.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIL-HODGES-1...EAAOSwj25Y8QSE
Old 04-26-2017, 12:08 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Wow. This is gross. Lists the unsigned cards for an absurd price then throws in a fake autograph.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Dan Bretta

Look at his sold items to see how many sharpie signed Clemente 69 Topps cards he got "Through the mail". Clearly a scammer who is selling another card and "throwing in" the autograph. Anyone buying a card from this guy is stupid.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Scott

EXPENSIVE FOR A TEN CENT 'SWELL " CARD AND A FAKE GIL. PASS PLEASE
Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 PM
Dave

Jeez, way to get around a loophole. He's not actually "selling" the autograph and he doesn't list any in the autograph section.

He's actually sold a couple Munson's and Clemente's that way.

Maybe Coach's Corner will take a cue from this guy and start pairing up Joan of Arc signed wooden stakes, with DVD copies of the Milla Jovovich movie "The Messenger".
Old 04-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Dan Bretta

Is this card even possible? Hodges died April 4, 1972 and this card is from Series 4.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:38 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Looks like he swapped the 72 for a 65 now lol. Wonder if he's a member here and saw this post.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Is this card even possible? Hodges died April 4, 1972 and this card is from Series 4.

Which just deems it all the more remarkable. Wasn't that some time around Easter? I mean, we don't know the exact date, but it does make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... ..........................

Old 04-26-2017, 04:09 PM
Tony W.

What's weird to me is that the seller has no negative feedback. Nobody who purchased an item had problems authenticating it or figured out they were hoodwinked and dinged him? Maybe he just refunds them right away when they complain? No comprendo.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:16 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxTony View Post
What's weird to me is that the seller has no negative feedback. Nobody who purchased an item had problems authenticating it or figured out they were hoodwinked and dinged him? Maybe he just refunds them right away when they complain? No comprendo.

He's got a neutral for one of the Clementes.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:03 PM
Richard Simon

Wasn't this slime bucket in another thread?
Maybe not the initial OP post but brought up in the middle of another thread?
I can remember commenting about this POS before.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-26-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Dan Bretta

I don't think he is a member here or has seen this thread. I asked him how he was able to get Hodges to sign a card while being dead. He didn't answer me back he just simply changed the listing.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Jeez, way to get around a loophole. He's not actually "selling" the autograph and he doesn't list any in the autograph section.

He's actually sold a couple Munson's and Clemente's that way.

Maybe Coach's Corner will take a cue from this guy and start pairing up Joan of Arc signed wooden stakes, with DVD copies of the Milla Jovovich movie "The Messenger".
Ebay is truly the home of the mentally lame. Anyone who cannot see through this thieves scam is really stupid.
There has to be a way to stop this guy but you really cannot write to ebay to explain the situation in depth. You can complain about an item (I just complained about this Hodges, not that I think it will do any good) but you cannot explain this scam in depth on the complaint form.
This thief would have been stopped long ago if ebay had kept John Gonzalez on board.
I think an attempt should be made to contact LE in Ohio. This thief has stolen a lot of money. It might be possible to get local LE involved.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

As a 10 year old Mets fan, the 72 Hodges was a big find in our neighborhood and I remember very well landing mine from a five cent vending machine. It definitely came out after he died.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:22 PM
Curt

If only I could find one of these signed!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hodges72.jpg (41.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 04-30-2017, 06:52 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

I'm no expert on this topic but I remember seeing ads in SCD years ago by a guy who collected very tough signed cards such as cards from the year a player died. I know the OPC card above has the "deceased" title on it, however I was told OPC came out later in the year after Topps was done printing. If I remember correctly as a kid baseball cards would be on the shelves before the season actually started. So would there not be some opportunity to have a 1972 Topps Hodges signed? Slim though it would be. It seems top me I remember this guy in SCD having that one. Maybe someone else remembers this guys name? He had huge prices on most of his items.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears