NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 11-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Erik

Default Favorite 1960's Football Set

For all my fellow vintage football card collectors here, I am curious as to which set or sets (we can go up to two sets) are your favorites from the 1960's. This includes Topps, Fleer and Philadelphia sets of the decade.

For me, the 1969 Topps set is my favorite. When I was about 10 years old, my future brother in-law gave me about half of the set. I would look over those cards every day, studying the stats of each player. This was my first vintage set of any kind.

The John Hadl card is my favorite. I loved the fact though he was a quarterback, his jersey number was 21 not the traditional 12 or 14 like other QB's.

Thru the years I completed the set and even updated a few cards such as Namath and Starr because he wrote A.L. Football on the Namath card and N.L. Football on Starr's card.

I love the color of the set and the great mix of stars from both leagues.

The 1967 Topps set is my second favorite. I know it is not necessarily a very glamourous set but I am a HUGE AFL fan, I like the design of the set and the fact there were only 132 cards in the set to collect. Plus, being a pro wrestling fan back in the day, it has Wahoo McDaniel's only card as well as Ernie Ladd's last Topps card.

There are several great sets from all three companies during the decade. It was difficult to settle on just two but these are my two and I am sure everyone's favorites will vary.

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 11-09-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Robert

Default 65

Mine would be the 1965 Topps Football set..........just love the tall boys!
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

My favorite is the 1962 Topps. Love the '67s too.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
My favorite is the 1962 Topps. Love the '67s too.
The '62 set is an honorable mention for me, I really like it. Compared to the black bordered '71 Topps BB set, the 1962 set is nicer IMO.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:09 PM
David Pierson
Banned

65's
Old 11-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Oof, tough question.

65 Toops, 61 Fleer, 62 Topps, 63 Fleer probably in that order. I love the mix of AFL and NFL in the 61 Fleer set, the backdrops and design, but hard to beat that tall boy set.....
Old 11-10-2013, 04:44 AM

I'll go with the 1963 Topps set: plenty of stars, some big rookies (Nitschke, Lilly, Jones), colored borders, and enough short prints and otherwise tough cards to make it a challenge. The "purple sky" variations are nice twist, too.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Sam Lemoine

I love the 1967 and 1969 Topps, and the 1962 and 1963 Fleer. Since the 1969 set is the only one of the four that has both AFL and NFL players, I will rank it number one. I do prefer the first series over the second.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Sam Lemoine

Oddly enough, my least favorite set of the 60's is the 65's. I guess that makes me the oddball...lol.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
Oddly enough, my least favorite set of the 60's is the 65's. I guess that makes me the oddball...lol.
No, not an oddball at all as I am not a fan of the tall boys either. The colors are nice but I just don't care for the bigger size.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Dave Foster

#1: '63 Fleer. Has Bambi's, RC on which he looks about 11 years old. Not included on your list, but 2nd fav would be '60 Bell Brand Rams. Tough to find in decent shape w/o the potato chip stains.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Daniel Elsass

I also like the 69 set and Piccolo has always been my favorite, despite the set having several key players. His card always reminds me to live each day to the fullest because we just never know when and where life will reach its final days. Keep one on my desk at work and one at my desk at home.

Other than that, the 67 is fascinating to me, the 62 is tough tough tough, and I really like the 63 as well. Always felt the Philadelphia sets to be undervalued and under-appreciated, they are simply loaded with stars.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
I also like the 69 set and Piccolo has always been my favorite, despite the set having several key players. His card always reminds me to live each day to the fullest because we just never know when and where life will reach its final days. Keep one on my desk at work and one at my desk at home.

Other than that, the 67 is fascinating to me, the 62 is tough tough tough, and I really like the 63 as well. Always felt the Philadelphia sets to be undervalued and under-appreciated, they are simply loaded with stars.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you find the 1967 Topps set fascinating?

I love the set for reasons I have already mentioned but curious as to why you like it.

Erik
Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Daniel Elsass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why do you find the 1967 Topps set fascinating?

I love the set for reasons I have already mentioned but curious as to why you like it.

Erik
The way they combined AFL and NFL players, the way the names of teams were scrunched in the upper corners, but mainly due to the coloring. It just got me when I was a kid, so 67 up to 78 Topps had me addicted.

I was born in 67 so by the time I began collecting it was 1972 and I bought up everything I could find between then and 1980/81. When baseball came out with the ridiculous 81 Donruss and Fleer sets, I was immediately out of collecting until many years later. So, during those early years there were many 67 and up cards and rarely did I see 66 or older except at shows.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Erik

Quote:
The way they combined AFL and NFL players, the way the names of teams were scrunched in the upper corners, but mainly due to the coloring. It just got me when I was a kid, so 67 up to 78 Topps had me addicted.

I was born in 67 so by the time I began collecting it was 1972 and I bought up everything I could find between then and 1980/81. When baseball came out with the ridiculous 81 Donruss and Fleer sets, I was immediately out of collecting until many years later. So, during those early years there were many 67 and up cards and rarely did I see 66 or older except at shows.
Do you mean the way the combined the AFL and NFL players in the 69 set? The 67 set was AFL only.

I did love the 69 set as it featured both AFL and NFL stars but wondered why Jack Kemp was not in the set.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Ty T.

My favorite is the '65 Topps of which I have a complete set; love the tall boys! The '62 Topps is second for me with the design, short prints, and condition sensitivity. The '67 Topps is a close third. I think it has to do with the uniqueness of the design compared to other issues from that era.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:53 AM

Im the odd guy out as well on the 65 tall Boys. They just never really done it for me.

I do like the 62's with the split photos one being a action shot, but have yet to try and build the set. Mainly because my OCD for high grade cards and those black borders are so tough.

As a Cowboys fan the Philly sets is where those cards would be. While I don't mind a simple clean design, all the philly set are like indentical, with exception of those god awful yellow border 67's

Like myself, I think many gravitate toward the colorful 69 set because it features both the AFL and NFL players.
I still need a high grade Larry Csonka to finish my set. And shame on you guys for letting this thread go this far without a single photo of your favorite sets.

The 1968 Topps set is one I feel everyone has overlooked. IT was the FIRST to feature both AFL and NFL Players and as colorful as the 69 set is, I really like the simple design and NFL logos on the 68's, I also prefer cards with borders as opposed to borderless cards.

I too love the crazy design on the 67 set, but My list:

1968 Topps
1962 Topps
1969 Topps
1967 Topps

John
Old 11-13-2013, 06:05 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
Im the odd guy out as well on the 65 tall Boys. They just never really done it for me.

I do like the 62's with the split photos one being a action shot, but have yet to try and build the set. Mainly because my OCD for high grade cards and those black borders are so tough.

As a Cowboys fan the Philly sets is where those cards would be. While I don't mind a simple clean design, all the philly set are like indentical, with exception of those god awful yellow border 67's

Like myself, I think many gravitate toward the colorful 69 set because it features both the AFL and NFL players.
I still need a high grade Larry Csonka to finish my set. And shame on you guys for letting this thread go this far without a single photo of your favorite sets.

The 1968 Topps set is one I feel everyone has overlooked. IT was the FIRST to feature both AFL and NFL Players and as colorful as the 69 set is, I really like the simple design and NFL logos on the 68's, I also prefer cards with borders as opposed to borderless cards.

I too love the crazy design on the 67 set, but My list:

1968 Topps
1962 Topps
1969 Topps
1967 Topps

John
John, if I could, I would post pictures of the sets I love but do not have the capability. Thanks though for showing the cards. I sure do love the 69 set.

And, yes, you are right, the 68 set is overlooked. I do like it and have started to put it together but it has taken a back seat to the 67 set I am working on or at least will work on once I am employed again.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Erik

John, you could have at least posted a picture of the 1969 Topps John Hadl card for me. It was my favorite card of the set.

As I have stated previously, I found it so cool he wore #21 as a quarterback. He did put up some big numbers in the AFL but was also prone to throw INT's as did many other AFL QB's.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Sam Lemoine

The 1968 Topps set is one I feel everyone has overlooked. IT was the FIRST to feature both AFL and NFL Players

Actually, it wasn't. As far as major sets go, both the 1961 Fleer and Topps set had NFL and AFL players. I do like the 1968's quite a bit though. The cards are relatively clean, and they are quite affordable. Still can't figure out how there is no Deacon Jones in the 1968 set. He was coming off of a 26 sack season and had the most dominate two year stretch of quarterback pressures in the history of the NFL in 1967 and 1968. How could they not include the Deacon?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
The 1968 Topps set is one I feel everyone has overlooked. IT was the FIRST to feature both AFL and NFL Players

Actually, it wasn't. As far as major sets go, both the 1961 Fleer and Topps set had NFL and AFL players. I do like the 1968's quite a bit though. The cards are relatively clean, and they are quite affordable. Still can't figure out how there is no Deacon Jones in the 1968 set. He was coming off of a 26 sack season and had the most dominate two year stretch of quarterback pressures in the history of the NFL in 1967 and 1968. How could they not include the Deacon?
It is a nice, clean set and I agree, quite affordable.

I did not realize Deacon Jones is not in the 1968 set. It is as puzzling as not including Jack Kemp in the 1969 set. The Bills were by that time a bottom of the barrel team in the AFL, but Kemp was their most recognized player. If my memory serves me correctly, the Bills were the only team not to have a card of a quarterback in the 1969 set. If there were any other teams that did not, it would only be a few total.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Sam

Thanks for the correction.

I should have clarified. The 68 set was the first to return to featuring both NFL/AFL players after the segregation of the Mid-Sixties Philly and Topps Sets.

Yes the absence of Deacon Jones is puzzling, but not an uncommon thing in many Topps Sets. The 72 Topps set also features some odd omissions from its set. Namely: Leroy Jordan, Mel Renfro and Chuck Howley. All would return in the 1971 Set.

While I do have much of the 68 set I just haven't been able to run across the nice cards like I did with the 69 set. My good pal(board member) Mike Tavenner supplied me with many high grade beauties! Others I had to break from slabs. Still short the right Csonka Card.

Erik I admire your enthusiasim for the cards. In today's hobby more focus seems to be on the labels and money, more so than the cards themselves.

John Hadl was one of the great QB's of the AFL. Not your typical square jawed stud quarterback though was he! LOL Maybe that's why they made him wear #21. But he sure got the job done!

I now present to you............ #21!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Erik

Thanks John! Hadl sure had a some great targets to throw to namely Lance Alworth as well as Gary Garrison. Plus, add Keith Lincoln to the mix and you just can''t go wrong.

Now, I am not as OCD as you are John when it comes to the condition of my cards but totally respect and understand your quest for the very best. I would not mind upgrading some of my cards from the 69 set, namely Lamonica, Leroy Kelly, Butkus and Sayers. And, in due time, I will.

I poured over those cards when my future brother in-law gave them to me years ago. I probably over handled the cards but so what, I loved it and have no regrets.

Erik

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 11-13-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Daniel Elsass

Quote:
Do you mean the way the combined the AFL and NFL players in the 69 set? The 67 set was AFL only.

I did love the 69 set as it featured both AFL and NFL stars but wondered why Jack Kemp was not in the set.
Yeah, sorry about that. Somehow I wrote of two sets in one sentence. 67 name scrunch, format, and coloring. 69 both leagues, format, and coloring.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Erik

Quote:
Yeah, sorry about that. Somehow I wrote of two sets in one sentence. 67 name scrunch, format, and coloring. 69 both leagues, format, and coloring.
No worries.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Dave Foster

Hadl should be in the HOF.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Hadl should be in the HOF.
As much as I liked John Hadl, I am not sure I agree. But, there are several other AFL stars who I believe have been slighted by the HOF including Hadl's teammate, Paul Lowe. Add Otis Taylor and Clem Daniels to the list and I am sure others should be included that I have failed to mention.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 AM

I would certainly not argue if John Hadl was in the HOF.

He joined the American Football League's San Diego Chargers in 1962. He shared quarterbacking duties until 1966, when he became San Diego's starting quarterback, and averaged over 3,000 yards and 23 touchdowns per (14-game) season for the next four years.

He was the American Football League's leading passer in both 1965 and 1968, and was a four-time AFL All-Star. In 1969, he was selected as the AFL All-Star Game's Most Valuable Player. The other half of the Chargers' potent passing/receiving tandem was Lance Alworth, the first American Football League player to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Many observers believe that Hadl, who threw most of the passes that Alworth received, also belongs in the Hall, and based on these numbers, he would be. Unfortunately, he spent most of the rest of his career being shuttled from one poorly run franchise to another; first as the solution to, then as the cause of, each team's given predicament.

Before the 1973 season, Hadl was traded to the Los Angeles Rams for defensive end Coy Bacon and running back Bob Thomas. Leading the Rams to the playoffs that year, he was named the National Football Conference Player of the Year. In the following season, after he was beaten out for the starting quarterback position by James Harris, he became the pivotal piece of a trade which is generally recognized as one of the worst in NFL history.[1] The Green Bay Packers, on the insistence of then Head Coach and General Manager Dan Devine, sent the Rams five draft picks; first and second round picks for 1975 and 1976, as well as a third round pick in 1975; for the services of Hadl, a rapidly aging 13 year veteran. He played a total of 22 games with the Packers and threw for 9 touchdowns and 29 interceptions behind a porous offensive line; the team posted a 7-15 record over this span. The trade caused irreparable harm to Hadl's legacy and hastened a decades long fall from glory for the Packer franchise. At the same time, it helped the Rams build a contender, culminating in their defeat by the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XIV. In later years, when asked for his thoughts on the infamous deal, Hadl himself expressed the surprise he felt, in 1974, at being sent to Green Bay: "I really didn't believe it... I didn't think anyone would be that desperate."

Despite his unfortunate tenure with Green Bay, and the sad conclusion to his career with an abysmal Houston franchise, Hadl finished with a starting record of 82–76–9 in his professional career. He holds the NFL record for the most tied games (9) by a starting quarterback. Hadl wore #21 for nearly his entire NFL career, aside from his first season with Green Bay when he briefly wore #12. He was the last regular starting quarterback to wear a uniform number greater than #19 before the NFL adopted a rigid uniform numbering system in 1973.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Erik

Great write up on Hadl there John. I did not realize the horrid trade Dan Devine did to get Hadl to the Packers. Thanks.

I would not mind him in the HOF at all. As I said, there are many other AFL stars who deserve the HOF that are being slighted.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:35 PM
John

I really enjoy the Topps 1962 Football Set with the split pictures.
It's also a challenge to complete it in high grade with the black borders.

john
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 PM

Add me to the list for 1962. It's the first 1960s football set I completed. I really like the split images and black borders.

The 1969 set is a distant second for me.

I also think the '61 Fleer set is underrated. Some of the cards with the stands in the background are very nice. The Hornung card is one of my favorites in the set.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Be.n C0z1n

The 64 set is kind of a sleeper, being between the 63 and 65 set, but I really like it. Not a fan of the 66 set. Why is the card stock so poor? Like the 62 set, and I should note that I do not like the 71 baseball, but for some reason the black boarders work for me with the 62's. The 62 set also has cool backs. The 69 set is another that I like if the cards are in high grade. I feel that it loses something if the cards aren't sharp. To me the backs are half the card, and you can't beat the 64 set when it comes to the backs.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly View Post
The 64 set is kind of a sleeper, being between the 63 and 65 set, but I really like it. Not a fan of the 66 set. Why is the card stock so poor? Like the 62 set, and I should note that I do not like the 71 baseball, but for some reason the black boarders work for me with the 62's. The 62 set also has cool backs. The 69 set is another that I like if the cards are in high grade. I feel that it loses something if the cards aren't sharp. To me the backs are half the card, and you can't beat the 64 set when it comes to the backs.
I am with you Ben. Not a fan of 1971 Topps Baseball but do like the black bordered 62 Topps FB set.

The 1964 set is colorful and has some rookie cards of two of my favorite AFL stars, John Hadl and Daryle Lamonica.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

I suppose it might be a bit of an understatement to admit to being rather fond of the 1968 Topps Football Set.

1rst & 2nd Series cards appearing on the board, as they did on the uncut sheets.

Last edited by mojorob; 12-18-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorob View Post
I really like the 68 Topps Football Set.

Now that is way cool Kirk!

Awesome display!

Now that I remember, you also did some great pictures/display for 1969 Topps Baseball. Tons of cards, wax packs, wax boxes, inserts. Not sure which I like more this display for the baseball one.

Again, thanks Kirk.

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 12-18-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Clint

That's a cool display. I never put the cards together so I never realized Dawson was part of a puzzle. Funny how they used a photo of him with the Browns.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Quote:
Now that is way cool Kirk!

Awesome display!

Now that I remember, you also did some great pictures/display for 1969 Topps Baseball. Tons of cards, wax packs, wax boxes, inserts. Not sure which I like more this display for the baseball one.

Again, thanks Kirk.
Yes Erik,
That was me.
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Erik

Quote:
Yes Erik,
That was me.
Thanks for the kind words.
You are very welcome Kirk.

Have you done any sort of display for other Topps sets besides the 68 Football and 60 Baseball?

I take it those are your two favorite years of Topps cards for each sport?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Quote:

Have you done any sort of display for other Topps sets besides the 68 Football and 60 Baseball?

Display wise, those are probably the only sets I have really worked on to that extent.
You're right, they're my favorite sets, and the first ones I collected as a kid.

If by chance you might have an interest, here's a link to my 1968 Topps Football Registry Set.
A couple scans from the set.

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr....aspx?s=111467

Last edited by mojorob; 12-18-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 AM

Wow! and Wow! again

Kirk
That is the most awesome display of 68 Topps football
I have ever seen! Just friggin Spectacular!

You have a killer Registery set in addition to the cards in the display?

I really need to work on my 68 set more seriously as I do prefer the border cards over the borderless 69's. I just happen to run into some super nice 69's that got my attention away from the 68's.

As soon as I find the right 69 Csonka rookie I will have that set complete and then I will be able to focus more on the 68's.

Ive had much more trouble finding higher grade 68's than 69's, Is there a particular sorce you can point me to for nice 68's?

Centering is usually my main issue.

Do you have any nice extras?

Once again an absolutely fantastic display!

John
Old 12-19-2013, 04:34 AM
Erik

Wow is right. Awesome awesome set registry Kirk.

I like the 68 set a lot.

Currently, I am working on the 1967 Topps set, have completed the 1969 set and will then tackle the 1968 set to have nice little three year run to close out the decade.

Thanks again. I just love all the displays including the inserts, wax packs and boxes. Oh, how many wax pack wrappers and even some boxes I discarded in my youth.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:40 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Jeff P

Quote:

I was gonna respond and tell you to prepare to be dazzled but Kirk beat me to it .... don't stop now, Kirk!

jeff
Old 12-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I was gonna respond and tell you to prepare to be dazzled but Kirk beat me to it .... don't stop now, Kirk!

jeff
Yes, please don't stop now Kirk!

I have seen his 1970 Topps Football as well and was very impressed. I cannot wait to see more.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Erik

Quote:
I suppose it might be a bit of an understatement to admit to being rather fond of the 1968 Topps Football Set.

1rst & 2nd Series cards appearing on the board, as they did on the uncut sheets.

Kirk,

If you still post, I came across the following from a 2012 Sports Collectors Digest online story on the 1968 Topps Football set and lo and behold, you and your '68 board are featured. Hope all is well with you.

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...for-collectors

I hope no one minds me bringing back this thread. The pictures are worth seeing again!

Erik

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 12-02-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:10 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thanks for reviving this thread. I am in the process of deciding what set I want to start with. I have looked at several of these. Some good candidates here!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:00 AM

I like the 1965 Philadelphia, plus the 1969 Topps.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Jeff P

It's always tough to choose a favorite set but one has been mentioned but no pictures shown is 1963 Fleer. I really, really like the nice clean design and think the red borders look sharp. It's a small set but packs some star power.

Anybody else a fan?

jeff
Old 12-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Thanks for reviving this thread. I am in the process of deciding what set I want to start with. I have looked at several of these. Some good candidates here!
Robert, you have several great sets to consider.

I am a Topps guy and my three favorites are 1967 - 1969 with the 1969 set being my favorite. I think it is a very colorful set, first series has no borders so condition is tougher for those while the second series has borders. Key rookies include Larry Csonka and Brian Piccolo, plenty of Hall of Famers as well as some excellent stars of the day such as John Hadl and Daryle Lamonica.

Currently, I am working on the 1967 Topps set and then will go after 1968.

Though I said I am a Topps guy, you can't go wrong with any set from this decade. Lots to choose from and they are all good!
Old 12-03-2015, 12:14 PM
shawn

I'm a big fan of the '60 set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960 Colts.jpg (70.5 KB, 195 views)